Ignition | FerrariChat

Ignition

Discussion in '308/328' started by Stephen B., Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stephen B.

Stephen B. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bailey
    I know this subject has been discussed before but bear with me one more time. Looking to eliminate the points in my 1975 308 GT4 euro spec. It appears the PerTronix Ignitor II 9MR-182A setup seems to be the best way to go. I have Cavis 403 classe B7A wires installed now. They appear to be suppression type wires which are required for the new ignition but have come to understand the Cavis wires aren't all that good. Plus if they are suppression type why are they installed on a points ignition system? I know there are lots of choices for correct wires but would like any input for which ones work the best for this installation. Lastly spark plugs, have NGK BPR 7EIX installed now, should I change to a different plug or will these work just fine? I just want to do this once and do it correctly. As always any info or recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    True that a points-based ignition system does not have an ignition ECU to suffer from EMI noise if using a solid-core/non-suppression spark plug wires, but auto manufacturers still want a car to be able to have a working radio (even if the user doesn't want a working radio).

3. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
    Stephen I went with 123 single distributor electronic ignition conversion on my USA spec 1980 GT4 and I'm very satisfied. Previous to this conversion I had rebuilt my original distributors and wasn't complete satisfied with the results. So I uninstalled the distributors and sent them off to a reputable Ferrari shop in Dallas Texas and had them rebuild them. No change from what I did. So I saved up and purchased 123 kit from Dino parts in Germany. Fairly easy conversion. The performance of 123 ignition single conversion kit was great. Easy starting, no hesitation and smooth acceleration. Only problem was the distributor failed about 5 months later. Dino parts was very good about exchanging for operational unit. I have since reinstalled new 123 distributor from Dino parts and my car runs really good. The 123 ignition from Dino Parts is a great improvement and has made my car drive much more like a modern day car. By the way I have my original Dizzys safely packed in my garage for safe keeping.