I'm selling my F50 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

I'm selling my F50

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by 410SA, Apr 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes. Despite the superior quality of the repaint I think that an F50 with factory paint is more desirable than an F50 that that has been repainted twice.

2. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I've sold the car so I have no vested interest here, but the idea that a repaint, (a superb repaint at that - far better than the original factory paint), devalues a supercar like an F50, is patently absurd.
    What is important here? The performance parameters of what many believe to be the ultimate Ferrari Supercar or the origin of its paint.
    Of course anyone can have an opinion but in my opinion some opinions are simply asinine.

3. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    is the car sold now? or you mean it's been sold to scottsdale? I hope things fall though fast so I can pick up this bad mama

4. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    It is amusing the number of individuals willing to post their opinions as to the devaluation the repaint of this car has incurred. Especially when the ability to purchase said car is not even a remote possibility. How can someone honestly judge an unobtainable object? Guess they wouldn't date Miss World if her 2nd toe was longer than the 1st. As if that were an option either. Everyone is entitled to their opinion-dreamers should keep them in their dreams imo.
    Since Alex actually drove his F50, it certainally had picked up stone chips to the nose. Would it be reasonable to have the front clip painted? Would that devalue the car? How many individuals have this done and don't even mention it when it comes time to sell? It isn't as if the repaint was do to body damage of any sort. If memory serves correct, the paint on the F50 was not as thin as on the F40-so the CF weave seen thru the paint isn't an issue either. Those in the know that have seen the car state it is beautiful as is the paintwork. If that's the issue holding one back from their F50 purchase-find another one. Give it a rest

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    What, exactly, is the basis for this proclamation of yours?

My question comes from my person experience where I have scrutinized original examples of a USA F40 & F50 side-by-side.

Perhaps you are able enlighten the faithful by sharing your knowledge...

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i'm not stating anything other than my personal experience living in houston.

the first owner of this car had the car repainted a color that was "HIS" chosen color for ferrari's, if you know who and what i am talking about, you will understand. The car was sold to another client who kept the car the same color. when being sold a couple of years later, the car was still blue. the client that bought the car repainted it to red (think actor). i was at the houston ferrari dealership the day it showed up the first time as the blue color and heard the story first hand.

many original buyers of f40's and f50's were not happy about the weave under the paint from ferrari. many cars were repainted to eliminate this problem. from my perspective, this is no different from the idea today that vintage cars should look like moderm cars. They didn't look like that new, but we want to make them "original". so much so, we completely forget what original was. i would rather have a vintage paint job than a new one, would you?

7. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    thought it was your quote

8. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I have heard the opposite. Owners seem to like seeing the weave through the paint. I think it gives the cars character....

I mean it isn't like your seeing cheap plastic, the F40's body is made from carbon kevlar composite.

9. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    There are a few threads in the 360/430 section about Ferrari quality of paint and even Rifledreiver has seen fit to return and comment on them. Bottom line is that although Ferrari is a top motorcar producer not all Ferrari cars have superior paint (I hope that was diplomatic enough) and a repaint could actually yield a nicer finish.

Now that it is gone, may I ask why you decided to sell it over the others in your collection?
    I've read here that the driving is not as edgey as the F40, but since I may never have the experience I value your response in proxy.
    Kind appreciation for any insights that you may have.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey

Ryan, you are absolutely correct. The visible weave is an inherent part of the car' character.

BTW the paint on the cars got progressively thinner from the GTO to the F40 to the F50.

I can tell you that the subject of this thread was offered to my client last week for $775k. I suggested that at that price, "why not?". He passed because he couldn't see the weave.

It does affect owners...

11. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Wow! :):)

12. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    It would affect me - I would not buy a car where I could not see the weave - defects and all. I have heard of people going to extraordinary lengths in touch up work to preserve the visible weave. The green goop in an F40 is part of its' charm but is hardly something that a modern manufacturer would aspire to

13. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Coming from you, this makes me feel better.

I was told in another thread that anyone "seriously interested" in an F50 wouldn't care about something as trivial as the visible weave. I thought it would be one of those important features to consider and feel better knowing I'm not alone (though I'm sure you're closer to an F50 that I am :D)

14. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy

Why do you feel the weave is important?
    I'm not flaming, just want to hear your perspective. Thank you

15. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If someone is looking for a F50 here is one for sale in Las Vegas ( ZFFTG46A6S0103850 )-http://www.lamborghinilasvegas.com/mainpages/carpage.php?cid=4258C

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #166 joe sackey, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
    4 advertised for sale: The aforementioned car with Lamborghini Las Vegas, the thread's subject in Scottsdale, the one with Euro Cars in Orange County and the one with Forza Collezione in Florida.

One car's principal told me last week that the effects of the recession has been harsh upon Supercars, and he has gotten offers in the mid-$600ks (he is asking $950k)...

17. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    Thanks Joe,

I found the ad
    http://www.eurocaroc.com/showroom/1208/show/162145/1995-Ferrari-F50?cond=10426
    and it says
    Here is a very rare opportunity to own a one of a kind vehicle we acquired from a private auto collection.....You are viewing a one of a kind machine.....a "showroom" condition Ferrari F50 with only 3,000 miles........NO Paintwork, NO accidents,

A fresh major service was just completed with the engine out (We have the service record).

Since the cams are gear driven, what is performed at the major servicing?

18. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    Looks like the car is for sale again

19. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #169 SefacHotRodder, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i just read this post and realize how much i miss the coach. what a loss to our community.

pcb

21. Linus77

Linus77 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    IJ
    +1

I've noticed that too.

Alex - nicely done, the car and your response to the jab at jas.

22. bob14

bob14 Rookie

Sep 8, 2008
    I am unable to tell when this was posted. I am actively looking for the right F50 and a price that will reflect the current uncertainty in the market- a good low miles "no stories" car at price fair to both sides. There are a number of cars listed forever at wishful numbers. I am interested in dealing with a real seller who wants to sell a real car at a real price. You'd think it would be easy in this economic environment, however, think again.

23. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
  24. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Alex sold his F50 3 months ago. It may be for sale somewhere else, not sure. All F50s I've seen in the US are in the 950 range.

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Correct.

And completely sale-proof at those numbers as their long-term tenure on showroom floors has proven.