Imperial: Sato off the hook - overheating!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Imperial: Sato off the hook - overheating!!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by watt, Aug 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    EDDIE JORDAN... that good for nothing! waste of organic material! I wish the Royal family of Dubai buys Jordan racing and then fires him from his own team. He first creates this stupid points system, then he continuously whines about costs and now this stupid THREE WEEK summer vacation trend!!!!!!! ARRRRGGGHH! Man this guy is a PITA, pain in the (you know what)!

Coming back to SATO...
    By letting the engine revs drop too low before shifting, that is just one way!

The reason why no one is blaming Kimi is because both Kimi and his Coulthards engines show failures at the same time. So both drivers have engine failures which means it is a design fault. Sato when compared to Jenson Button clearly shows that his own driving style is causing the troubles. Button has had only one (or 2) engine problem all season. Sato on the other hand is ticking time bomb!

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Um, Kimi has lost five engines and a wing. DC's lost two engines and collided once. Kimi's lost his mill on laps 9, 40, 7, 28, and 10, while DC's failures happened on laps 50 and 26.

It looks to me like DC's getting more miles out of the hardware than Kimi.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    LopeAlong,

You have forgotten one very important thing that completes shows JV up for being an arsehole and trying to stick it to JB.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the race but the team radioed JB to come in next lap ... JV knew this and came in against the race plan and completely fncked JB race. This was 100% done on purpose because he was getting thrashed by the new upstart. The team were really pissed, and JV came up with all the excuses but it was obvious to all that it was done to stuff JB. If I remember rightly JB had to just drive through the pits and come in a couple of laps latter ... race gone.

Webber's focus is 100% on winning and improving, that is what the guy lives for. He is not interested in the life style, the girls (involved with his manager), the money ... nothing but winning. I'm not sure of the other drivers, but many appear to be european play boys ... Australia does not even breed that backbone lacking type ;)

Pete

4. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Ok, Hold on just a second!
    1. You remember those laps of the top of your head or was there a detailed level of research that went in to this? :D either way if those laps are correct, I do not have the time to verify each one, you get a lot of credit from my side for remembering them or making the effort.

2. When Kimi's bosses Team principal Ron Dennis, Technical director Adrian Newey, Chief Designer Mike Coughlan and his teammate Coulthard all accpet that it is the design fault of the MP4-19 and the Mercedes engine then you know Kimi is not to blame. Also he drove perfectly fine last year. He has a proven track record. You have to be kidding me if you think that rear wing problem was Kimi's fault. It was a maufacturing defect.

3. Sato on the other hand does not have a proven track record. Even Eddie Jordan, his previous boss, said that Sato was too expensive because of the mistakes he made for any big team let alone his small Jordan team. The fact of the matter is the BAR car works, Jenson Button has had just 1 problem all season. Sato has had so much more problems and on track "incedents". David Richards has to defend Sato, for fear of losing the Honda backing his BAR team is getting. You do not hear Jenson Button stating the engine has problems or that the car is hard to drive. On the other hand you see Sato blowing up everything he can lay his hands on. Where there is smoke, there is always fire. :D

5. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Isn't PSK always complaining about fans that watch F1 with a clipboard? :D I make notes of pitstops during the race so I can tell where the cars stand, with pit strategy. I also note when cars stop, because that determines their "finish" in the race. (First out is last place.) So it was just a matter of looking at the log sheets. (Why yes, I am a pack-rat.)

I didn't say the wing was Kimi's fault. I was simply reponding to your comment that Kimi and DC had engine failures at the same time. Maybe Kimi is just unlucky. But I've noticed that more experienced drivers can "nurse" a hurting engine better than the young "hotshots". Last year, Kimi had a good engine. This year, the driver has to take care of the engine, and DC's doing that better than Kimi, from the stats.

Where there's fire streaming out of the back of the car, ... :D (No, I'm not saying that was Kimi's fault, completely. But DC got his mill to lap 50 on that same race and quietly retired in the pits. And hasn't been abusing course workers.)

I'm not trying to say that Sato is a good driver or Kimi is a bad one. They're both young. But, because he's had so much trouble adapting to single lap "bowling for grid spots", people forget that DC's a pretty good driver, too. With more experience than Kimi.

Maybe it's just my own advancing years that makes me like the older drivers. :D

6. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I usually have my laptop and wireless internet going to watch laptimes and pitstops. But I am very impressed with the fact that you note down laps and pit stops on a clip board. :D That way you have a record of what happenned. My knowledge is erased if the webmaster of the website archives the lap times, so you just gave me a brilliant idea. Thank you. :)

I agree, David Coulthard is a very good driver. I would certainly rank him over Sato and Montoya. The problem as you stated is his inability to adapt to the one lap qualification format. I think it is a sad end to a good career, having to find a race seat after 9 years (I think) with McLaren. I think McLaren shot themselves in the foot when they signed Montoya. David Coulthard maybe has one or two good racing years left. A team like Jaguar or Sauber could benefit from that.

However, Kimi is the future. Sato does not even come close to Kimi's driving talent and performance. Certainly Sato is much more unreliable than Kimi.

7. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I call it "paper view". (brump-dump) :D

I look at the youngsters with their pierced everythings and tattoos, seeking identity in a post-verbal culture, and think, "these are the people that will be supporting social security when I've retired".
    That thought makes me less worried about the risks of smoking or driving fast cars. ;)

8. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I am sorry to bring this back up but I still do not see how letting the revs drop to lower RPM hurts a motor. If the gearboxes are downshifting on the fly (the driver just pushes a handle and does not push a clutch in) and the gear ratios stay the same and the rear is not locking up @ all during this I do not see where the added stress is coming from? I could see it in the opposite case with high rev' s but the CU in the trans do not allow you to do this. Thanks.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well Imperial should be happy now: It looks as if BAR is sacking Sato for Hakkinen next year. As much as I love to see Mika back, I'd rather see other drivers sacked than Sato.

10. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    tifosi -

where did you hear this??? and do you know who the 2nd williams driver is next year??? Thanx

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I made it up to make Imperial happy.

Or did I?
    http://www.blick.ch/PB2G/PB2GA/pb2ga.htm?snr=74774

Mika will soon test the BAR and if he likes it, he has an offer from BAR to replace Sato.

No idea on the 2nd Williams. Maybe Sato?

12. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Button just left BAR for Williams. So , either Davidson comes on and Sato stays; or, Sato leaves and Mika comes on; or, Sato stays alongside Davidson.

13. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    You did put a smail on my face. I hope Sato gets the boot. :)

HOWEVER... This just in... hot from the press...

BUTTON JOINS BMW Williams, which means end of hopes for Pizzonia and JV. Webber and Button make up line up of BMW Williams. Wow that just hit everyone from under the Radar!!!!

I have confirmed news that Sato's contract ends after this season and that there have been no talks to renew the contract, yet! So this means Mika and Anthony Davidson next year at BAR! :D

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Where did you hear that Button left for Williams?

Sheesh, I love the silly season. The carousel is in full swing.

15. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    In a shock move, Jenson Button will leave BAR Honda at the end of the season and join Mark Webber on the racing front at BMW Williams it was announced late on Thursday evening. Button, under contract to BAR for 2005, makes the move back to the team that gave him his F1 race debut in 2000.

In his first season with Williams alongside Ralf Schumacher, the English driver collected just eight points for the team with a best result of fourth at the German Grand Prix at Hockenheim - a circuit he excelled at in 2004. Button was then loaned out to Renault for 2001/02 and after a disappointing spell with the French outfit, Button, 24, has and BAR Honda emerged as one of the main leaders of the pack chasing Ferrari champion Michael Schumacher in 2004.

The Briton hailed his second place behind Schumacher in Germany last month as his best drive and is placed third in the drivers' championship behind leader Schumacher and Ferrari's second driver Rubens Barrichello.

The move means an end to Jacques Villeneuve’s slim hopes of returning to F1 in 2005 with Williams are dashed. Antonio Pizzonia will also be super-disappointed not to be given the race seat alongside Webber in 2005, despite a strong showing in his race debut with the team at Hockenheim. The Williams test driver will be back in action next weekend at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

BAR meanwhile, will almost certainly promote Friday teat driver Anthony Davidson to the role of race driver with the squad.

Earl ALEXANDER
    CAPSIS International

www.f1live.com

:D

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Wow, didn't know about Button. But in this light the Hakkinen rumour/story makes more sense: Davidson needs an experienced driver on his side.

So maybe Sato was just a token on Richards part to keep the Honda power for certain after 2004.

I love to see Davidson in a race and I hope Sato lands on his feet. The good seats are getting thinner now.

17. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Yes, I see it too. BAR played along with Honda and allowed their poster boy to have an F1 seat just so they can have a Honda engine contract for the future. A short term loss for long term gains. BAR only signed Sato till this year. Next year he is gone (bye bye Sato)! :D

In comes Anthony Davidson and the experienced Mika Hakkinen to drive for BAR next year. I am liking the driver line up for 2005. It is promising to be an absolute cracker of a season!

18. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    is this real or you boyz funnin?????

Mika comin back would be titz!!!!! just keep his wife out of the pix

and BUttoni at williams, tryin; to remember didnt he do that before???
    didnt somebody complain???

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    yo bro we ain't kiddin 'round

Button drove for Williams before, but he learned a few tricks since then. I think he is really going to be frontpage news in that car. He is talking WC already, that I think is premature, but his first victory is now within reaching distance.

PS: I have MS down for an 8th title in 05.

20. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Mika Hakkinen and BAR Honda have held initial discussions regarding a possible racing return for the 1998 and 1999 World Champion according to French AFP sources.

The news broke today, less than 24-hours after BMW Williams announced that current BAR driver Jenson Button is to join their team in 2005, an announcement very much disputed by BAR’s boss Dave Richards.

The Hakkinen link to BAR was revealed today on his visit to Jyvaskyla during the Finnish World Rally Championship event. Rumour circulating at the rally service park is that he has already signed a contract with the team.

"There is no smoke without fire," Hakkinen told Finnish Television. "I don't want to say more at the moment. Suffice to say the discussions with BAR are particularly interesting."

Should Williams achieve their aim and Button does move to the team for next season, the seat alongside Takuma Sato is up for grabs. Mika Hakkinen joins the list of many drivers, including test driver Anthony Davidson, who would love a shot at driving for BAR Honda.

E.A.
    Source AFP