In the market for an F40. Any words of wisdom? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

In the market for an F40. Any words of wisdom?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by SteveB, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Athrill is right about the street, though.

The only time Pinnacle Motorsports puts 'em on the street is to check the tune up. We blast right by the Houston Mounted Patrol stables. LOL

At about 110.

You don't hurt these cars on the track, one bit. Unless you hit something.

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The suspension makes the euros nice - Can raise and lower it as needed.

3. SteveB

SteveB Karting

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Barker
    I wonder how bad it really is driving these cars on the street?

I added plates under my F355B to protect the underside of the nose. I would have to assume that this can be done on an F40 as well.

Steve

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Actually, I see one on the streets of Houston pretty often.

In the vicinity of Rice University. My car was set up on display as "Art" one morning at the Campus Gallery, and he came zipping thru intercampus drive! Kinda trumped my 308GTB, ya know?

I'm sure you have to pay attention.

The adjustable suspension might be just the ticket!

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry

Rick (zsnnf) - An F-Chatter in So Cal has one with the adjustable suspension & drives it all the time - I think it has close to 30K miles. The suspension is a huge plus - It was parked next to a US F40 & that is when I could really see the difference!

6. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    ROW = Rest of World. Typically exactly the same or quite similar to a European specification. As opposed to a USA car, a GB car, etc.

Rob

BTW, the F40 in the living room deal did actually happen, as I stated, I was employed at the store that did the delivery at the time. And yes, it's long gone.

7. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

there was a 90 F40 5K miles on ebay a couple weeks ago, starting bid 250K, no bids

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Email from Patrick Persichini at fmsocal:

"Neil, sorry to take so long to get back to you...F40: one local owner since new, 5k miles and always serviced with us, major service about 400 miles ago (2yrs) incl. timing belts, never tracked, shows awesome, paint is great (even for F40's, which never have good paint), no chips or fades, interior great save for seat belt backer loose around seat fabric, keys, books (w/o pouch), teflon plastic skid plates installed under spoiler, stock everything, no modifications. Asking $330k, obo...please advise, Pat".

It seems like a nice car but... 30k to high. I don't kow about you guys but I'm not happy with a car unless I get a deal on it. Just the way I tick I guess.

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    There is a big difference in asking price and selling price around these things.

10. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I have never liked having to barter just to get a reasonable price though. If the car is worth 300 grand, put that sticker on the window. If not go screw yourself and the horse you rode in on. Ahem *cough* I mean of course you are right. Doesn't it make the salesman seem shady to have the price jacked up for a car we both know is worth 30g's less? Then you have to hear him say "I'm losin' my shirt here, come on, it's as low as I can go. Ah what the heck you seem like a nice guy, how 'bout 320 and we call it a day?" Yeah, that instills confidance!

11. red-riot

red-riot Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Steve,

Nice meeting you and your son at Cavallino on Saturday. Steve Daley at Miller Motors might have a very nice car available. Call him at 203 629-3890.

Jon

12. SteveB

SteveB Karting

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Barker
    I am confused. Is this meant for me or another Steve? I don't know where Cavallino is, much less being there with my son.

Steve

13. SteveB

SteveB Karting

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Barker
    Neil, are you trying to buy this car? Or is it still available? I don't want to step on any toes....

Steve

14. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    I've seen this car. It is very nice.....

15. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Were you in it? Is it in the top 5% in the country or in the top 30%?

16. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    No Steve, I'm not F40 ready yet. I'm just getting a feel for the market these cars are in. It will be a few years before I can seriously start looking for an F40.

17. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
  18. SteveB

SteveB Karting

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Barker
  19. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Nick Soprano had one in last time I checked-- but his site is down now:

http://www.motorclassiccorp.com/

I believe his number is 914-997-9133 .. Tell him "Kenny" sent you- I've basically grown up in his shop.. Great guy!

20. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    I have a very nice example that can be had for $300K. No stories all services done, no paintwork or damage. I have had over forty different examples over the past ten years. This is by far one of the nicer examples.

I can be reached directly at 619 840 7811. Good luck in your search.

Regards,

Bill Noon

21. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Just FYI I would not worry about old turbo seals causing an engine bay fire. Even if the seals were bad oil could not physically leak into the engine bay unless the oil feed or return line was the source of the leak (very unlikely). Any oil leaking from the turbo seals would end up burning in the exhaust system or pass through the engine. The result would be the same black/grey/white smoke out the tail pipes whenever the car went under boost caused by the oil burning in the exhaust system or engine. IF the car is making full boost and not smoking the turbos are fine so don't get talked into an unneccssary repair.

22. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Hi Bill saw you at Cavallino, congrats on your race victories.

I need a Daytona, let me know if you run across one that would be a Platinum winner at Cavallino. I am sorry I did not hear from you when we talked about you bringing the 333SP to Buttonwillow in 2002. I rented the track for 2 days, would have been nice to have purchased that car from you.

I will see you in August, you have my number if you find something I might be interested in... Chris Parr

23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thread back from the dead......
    price discussion is good humor :)

Ryan13, Texas Forever and mikesufka like this.
  24. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Hi Ross, yes true and very nice!.I bought mine some 4-5 years after.....perhaps in 2-3 years we all speak about the prices of the F12 TdF.....but than why we paid 850k eur for them and now in 2023 they are 250k.....

ciao Oscar

25. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    I have a sneaking suspicion your money is safer parked in your F40 than your F12 Tdf - enjoy both in health and happiness