Incar video camera questions. | FerrariChat

Incar video camera questions.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 62 250 GTO, Feb 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    What features in a vid camera would I look for? Probably the the top of the line and most expensive camera? Can some cameras take more of a beating then others? Shock resistant? Anyone ever install a camera? I would like it to be over my right shoulder, capturing my steering wheel and front view through the windshield. I don't have a roll cage and I have new seats on the way so I don't want to damage them. Maybe I'm asking too much? Probably a dash mounted camera would be best. Hummmm. Any thoughts about my ramblings?

2. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    For starters, go with a 3 CCD camera. All pro-sumer (even some mid-range) models will have this feature and give you the most professional looking results.

Some form of stabilization would also be good. Many cameras now have this built in. Also, you should be able to get a stabilized mount to reduce engine...driving vibration.

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    many options. i went with dv format, electronic image stabilization, wind noise supression and small size. spent about $400 last year for panasonic dv 402 that was rated highly. bought online from buydig.com. very happy

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Thanks guys.
    KKSBA, I'm not sure what a 3 CCD camera is but I will find out. As for the stabilization, I have thought of that for awhile, rubber is what I thought of {yeah I' the only one who thought of that}. I'm still not sure where/how to mount it.
    95spiderman, I'm not sure what dv format is but I will find out. What else did you buy other than the camera? I'm not electronic minded, so I'm not sure what's involved.

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Ooooh somebody is going over to Wacky Wheatly's this afternoon.....

Leave wallet outside in a snow bank and tell them you are just looking

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Do I just leave my credit cards with them? I will wear sweat pants so when I bend over they have easy access.
    I'm not goin't Wacky Wheatly's you fool. I'm goin' to Wal-mart!

7. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    DV is the best format these days for balancing size of camera/tape, quality and cost.

3CCD means their is a seperate image sensor for Red Green and Blue as opposed to one that handles all colors. You get better color and image fidelity.

Another must if you want to edit the video on your computer would be a firewire/i-link/IEEE1394 port(goes by either name)

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I will look into it for sure.
    I hope the video doesn't put me in jail. :EEK: