Inner cam drive bearing | FerrariChat

Inner cam drive bearing

Discussion in '308/328' started by Chrill, Oct 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
    Hi all, I was going to change my outer cam drive bearing on my QV do to some oil leak, I got the outer bearings out today and when I feel for play at the shaft I can say it is a lot, I don’t know if it is the design or if it is the inner bearings that are bad, with the outer bearings in place there were no play at all. It is possible to push the axle in and out a bit and there are a lot of play, so my thought was that maybe the outer bearings take much of the stress and the inner bearings acts more like a slave bearing.
    Has anyone change only the outer bearings and knows if this is normal or should I change the inner as well. I have read all about changing the inner bearings with pin bolts snapping and really hard to access, so I’m not looking forward to it.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Normal for having the outer bearing removed (a shaft passing thru a single deep-groove ball bearing is like a spherical ball joint), and the axial position of the shaft is largely determined by the outer bearing being captured between the snap rings (the shaft is free to slide in the inner bearing bore although in operation the helix angle of the gears drives the shafts against the inner bearing which supports the thrust load) -- see the cross-sectional figures in Section B of the Mondial 8/QV WSM.

3. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
    Thanks for the clarification, but with play I meant the play up and down not in and out, that’s just me thinking the inner bearings don’t have the same tolerance as the outer that is more or less pressed on the axle.
    And maybe that’s just why it is more play in the inner bearings? Since the outer where really tight and has zero play I just think it would be unlikely that both the inner has gone bad, the car has 56k km or 35k miles on the clock

4. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Christian, what Steve is saying is that the up and down play is simply the shaft changing angle a bit from the inner bearing which is fixed concentric with the outer bearing but allows the inner race and thus the shaft to deflect away from concentricity. My car had 36k miles and the inner bearings were fine— outer were loose as they take the load from the tension in the belt plus the grease gets cooked (inner ones lubed and cooled by oil.)

5. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
    Oh sorry Steve in that case, then I understood that wrong, I can always blame I'm from Sweden and English is not my native languish. Thank you both for the help, I just change the outer then and take care of the inner next time I'm doing a major service.

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #6 Martin308GTB, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Are there any documented cases of failed inner bearings at all?
    I had a complete cam drive bearings job at 90.000 kms since one seal was badly leaking. It was an expensive engine out job done by an official workshop and I didn't know about alternatives back then like just pulling the outer bearing to get access to the seal (I talk about the later camdrive bearings design). Thanks to FChat I know now better 20 years later and surely wouldn't go that route once more with the official workshop procedure (pulling the engine, removal of gearbox, removal of the drysump scavenge pump drive, etc.)
    But regarding my initial question above; I still have my old inner bearings kept in my scrap box and they seem, that they would have lasted another many, many thousands of miles.
    I would even dare to state, that they last forever.

Steve,
    can't remember and can't identify the lettering on the outer race any more. Are the inner bearings also C4 (increased play) like the outer ones? If yes they would even show more play with the outer one removed.

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Oct 17, 2018
    I can't recall anyone posting a specific case of the inner bearing failing. When they moved the outer bearing in the later design (to reduce the pulley overhang), it not only reduced the radial load on the outer bearing to help it live longer, it reduced the radial load on the inner bearing by even more so should greatly extend its life too:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I don't have any specific information if the stock inner bearing is C3 (extra radial play) or C4 (extra extra radial play), but I wouldn't be too concerned to use either (but would not use C2 standard radial play). Agree with your point that wiggling on the far end of a shaft mounted in a single C4 (or C3) ball bearing is going to feel even sloppier.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  8. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Steve - What denotes the cross-over point between your "early" and "late" designs?

Carb vs. injected? 2 valves vs. 4? Or something else?

Thanks - DM

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Dave,

I'm not Steve, but allow me to answer :)
    The design change took place during the carburettor car's era.
    According to my parts books: (1980 GTB/GTS Euro carb, 1978 US-GTB/GTS)

Euro cars:
    from engine no. 01105 GTB
    from engine no. 03045 GTS

US cars:
    from engine no. 00133 (all wetsump, therefore no mentioning of differences between GTB and GTS)

Best from Germany
    Martin

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Martin has already answered, but one thing that adds some confusion is that in the euro 308i-2V SPC they used the old design picture (but the parts in the list are correct for the later design). If you check the '78/79 US carb 308GTB/S SPC, there are two drawings -- one for the old design, and one for the new design (which is way better to convey the order of assembly in each design). I don't know if they made the same picture error in the US 308i-2V SPC (but it wouldn't surprise me if they did ;)).

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  12. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    #12 Jet Lag, Oct 17, 2018
    I'm in the process of changing both inner and outer cam drive bearings because of lots of play on the aft drive gear. The forward outer bearing is fine, the aft gear outer bearing is toast - burnt toast. The inner bearings are both fine (I will, of course, replace anyway); but unfortunately the aft shaft is so badly worn that a new inner bearing just slips on and has a little play. It should NOT just slip on. New shaft and gear ordered and is on the way. Anyway, hope you have better luck than I.

13. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    So tell me how did you remove the outer bearing? That's on my list for the next belt change.

14. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
  15. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
  16. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
    Sorry that’s beyond my English knowledge, maybe someone else can help me out here...

17. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
    Oh and you will also need one of these, size 28 I think:

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes (you'll probably need to "pierce" them to pull them out and be careful about not scratching the sealing surface on the shaft, and need to be a little careful when installing them to not distort/fold the sealing lip and lose the spring, and not drive them in too deep IIRC - but if yours have never been replaced, I would. JMO).

19. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
    Ah thanks, then I better order them as well.

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Draper tool/ puller

21. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Already have the pin socket. Draper tool search is on!

Thanks!

22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  23. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
  24. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA

and the Sykes tool...
    https://smile.amazon.com/Sykes-Pickavant-09810000-Multipull-Housing-Bearing/dp/B00VTSHP82/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539888808&sr=8-2&keywords=sykes+pickavant+bearing

I'll likely save the $ 360 and go cheap. I've never needed one before and may not live long enough to need one again. Unless this august group has other commentary .

25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    It would be useful to know the ball diameters of the adaptors from the cheap Sealey tool.
    But since it looks the same like Christian's (Chrill) it should fit.

Best from Germany
    Martin