Insurance for Mondial? | FerrariChat

Insurance for Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by kevinkw, Oct 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hi All,
    Looks like GEICO is unable to insure my Mondial. Even though it has insured my Alfas and Lotus before.
    I got a quote from Hagerty, anyone use any other insurance companies?
    If they are good, might move alll cars there.

2. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have mine insured with Hagerty as a collector car (not a daily driver). I am in the process of switching to Grundy. Stated value insurance.

Regards,
    Jerry

3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's weird. They insure mine. Did they give you a reason?

I've read good reviews about PURE. I know a few guys who their cars registered through State Farm as well.

4. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    Hagerty has stated value policies, which I use for my M3, 190sl, and Mondial t coupe. Grundy is similar and worth pricing as well.

5. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I've got 3 cars with Hagerty: my 85 QV Mondial, an 83 MB W123, and a 67 Karman Ghia CV.

Cost for all 3 is about $850/year.

Used Hagerty for about 3 years now. No problems or issues. Caveat - I haven't had to file a claim - so can't comment on that process.

Unless the rates dramatically change, I have no plans to change anytime soon.

Sid

6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I use JC Taylor in Upper Darby, PA. 85 Mondial,94 vette and 95 BMW. 0 deductable with set value. Check and make sure you don't have to stay with your car for ins to cover any loss. I will let you know how they are to deal with next week. BMW hit a deer and adjuster is coming monday

7. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Due to this being classified as an exotic car we are unable to insure it. We do not have the proper rating structures in place to adequately insure certain vehicles on our Family Auto Policies due to several factors including their high value, loss statistics, and the difficulty of repair and part procurement in the event of a loss.

8. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Here's another vote for Hagerty- I have had my restored '71 Mustang Mach 1 429 CJ-R 4 speed with them for 3 years. I bought the car from a Ford Director who has worked at their headquarters in Dearborn MI since the early 1980's. He has a 50 car personal collection of Mustang and Shelby models ('64 1/2 to present day) in a giant warehouse garage with 3 lifts. He has also used Hagerty for all of his cars, going back to 1986. That was good enough for me! I plan on using them if and when I locate just the right Mondial. We have used Allstate for our daily drivers for decades, and when I initially checked with them regarding the Mach 1 they said they would just shop it out to a collector car insurance company.

9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I have both my 348 and mondi with state farm. I'm seasonal, but the cost is so reasonable through their collector car (division/classification) I leave it full coverage all year. I'm on restricted miles, but isn't an issue for me

10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    My insurer did not want to take on my Mondial, so asked if they would do so with a 25% deductible, and they said ok, based on my original cost. That way I handle most claims on my own, but am still covered in the event of a writeoff. Could not get an agreed value policy, so may still end up with a value opinion problem in the event of a writeoff. So I got an appraisal after having improved the car to its present mint condition, just to have something to support a debate if it comes to that. But frankly I just wanted the proper liability coverage as the main event. Hagerty in Canada is also very popular with the collector cars. I just wanted to have all my affairs with the one company I have been insured with my entire driving life.

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Very odd. I just called up Geico when i bought the car and added it to my existing policy. $120/month. No mileage restrictions. Maybe they've changed policy and I'm grandfathered in or something.

I hear good things about Hagerty. The only issue is the mileage restriction. I think they said the cutoff is 3k miles per year?

12. docvb

docvb Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    American Family with the rest of the family fleet. Stated value.

13. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    My 82 Mondial costs $179/yr at American Family - classic car insurance. And that's for the year. My 86 560SL is $139 with them for the year and my 94 E320 is $126/yr. And that's with low deductibles and high limits.

14. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I recently priced Hagerty, Grundy and State Farm for my 3 classics. State Farm was the least expensive by a large margin. In TX, we have an "antique" registration that is good for 5 years. The catch is you are not supposed to drive the car other than to/from/during events and shows; and to/from and during servicing. There is no limit on miles to my knowledge. I don't know whether State Farm will give you a hard time if you are joyriding. But you get to specify the value in the event of a total loss, not the insurance company. I hear that they are quick to declare a total loss in the event of anything major. Not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I had Hagerty in the past. They were very nasty when I had a claim, tried to argue my car was being used as a daily driver. Fact is, I had five cars at the time including two daily drivers. They made me take photos before and after and were quite pointed about it. I had to hassle them to get them to pay out. And they were substantially more expensive than State Farm. I would avoid Hagerty.

There are some other options that I have not tried. Some people like Chubb. See my thread on this topic in the 308/328 forum.

15. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Snake Farm for $20/month, full coverage, no restrictions. But I'm sure they would total her out for next to nothing. GEICO has to be the worst company ever created. It's no wonder they are constantly advertising. All Snake is another one to stay away from.

It's pretty bad when auto insurance company reps are the ones writing up damage estimates, and also writing state insurance laws. You would think that was a conflict of interest.

16. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ended up giving Geico a call rather than the online add car form, the service rep was able to add my car since I have been with them forever.

17. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm using American Modern with an agreed value policy. Superb prices, half that of Hagerty. Going through a collision claim with one of my Alfas and did a window repair claim. Super easy to deal with.

18. Greg W

Greg W Rookie

Aug 13, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    I have mine with Hagerty. the price was 1/2 of Allstates bid. Don't know how they deal will claims, but the price is fair.

19. Greg W

Greg W Rookie

Aug 13, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    I will look them up, thanks

20. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Possible nightmare could not have gone better. Adjuster looked at the car. Had a check in three days. Value was 4k, check was 2600 so if a tree falls on it we only get 1400. After documented repairs value goes back to 4k. They also sent me a 30 dollar check because I had paid for the 4k for the year. How about that!