Interesting 348 "Check Engine" false alarm? | FerrariChat

Interesting 348 "Check Engine" false alarm?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 348SStb, Aug 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

My "Check Engine" light comes on without exception any time I give the car full throttle. That is, whenever I floor it, no matter what the RPMs, the "Check Engine" light (usually cylinders 5-8, but sometimes 1-4) will illuminate for about 3-4 seconds.

Ya know, I very rarely floor my car. So a while back I found it curious that the "Check Engine" light had come on sometimes when I would hit 7,000 RPMs. But since I don't go up there that often, and since I don't floor it that often, I thought it was just a freak thing. But now I realized after flooring it today and playing around that it does it consistently.

If I were to guess, chances are 95%-5% in favor of this being a false alarm--a silly loose connection or something. Any thoughts?

I've read about people "pulling" ECU codes from 348s--that is, interpreting what the "Check Engine" light is trying to say. I have in my possession the chart from the technical manual that translates the codes, but how do I "pull" the code?

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  3. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Thanks Ernie... MIlotus sent me that link and it was very helpful...

THIS IS SO COOL! I got the codes back... apparently I have a bad RPM sensor. What could that mean? I mean my RPM guage works perfectly fine...

THIS IS SO COOL I JUST SAVED LIKE $400! Those a$$holes at Ferrari of LI charged me an hour of labor (wanted to charge me two) for about 5 minutes of work getting the codes from the ECU.

4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Dave, have you tried the electrical tape fix first? This will usually fix the check engine light for good. If you haven't tried this post me back and I will give you thorough instructions.

5. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

What's the electrical tape method?

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    No problem Dave. As for Huskers tape fix this is what you do. Get any black electrical tape, cut a piece off, then put it over the light. Hahahahaaa. Anyway have a look at the connector next to the charcoal canister. Make sure it is clean and connected properly. You should also have a look at your crank position sensors, same deal , make sure they are clean and connected properly.

7. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    When your car is off and you pull the codes, you will get the CPS code (crank position sensor). However, this might also mean that one of your CPS is dirty (there are two of them). I just got my 348 back, and had been getting check engine lights plus a missfire around 6,000 rpm. Unlike yourself, I floor the car practically from every stoplight (especially with the new exhaust) so fixing that was important. One of my CPS's was dirty and the connector was a bit oily so Mike cleaned that up and the car is great now. Pulls like a freight train all the way to the rev limiter and howls like nobody's business (Tubi plus Hyperflow cats).

Somewhere on either this board or the old board is an illustration of where the CPS's are - I'll see if I can find it. This might cure your problem for real.

Mind you I'm no expert but I did just go through this!!!

Cheers
    Kevin

8. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

LOL! hahahaha the electrical tape fix :)

I guess "Crank Position Sensor" means RPM sensor? On my sheet from the technical manual, it says "RPM sensor"

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

10. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    The electrical tape method is this:

1. Take you a good pair of scissors, freshly sharpened.
    2. Carefully measure 3.5 inches of the tape and cut straight across. If you screw it up, start again.
    3. Take the piece of tape and GENTLY place it over your check engine lights. Alignment is critical. DON'T SCREW THIS UP.
    4. Once the tape is set in place, you should not be able to see the "Check Engine" lights at all.

If you need pictures of this process, feel free to ask - I can email you a detailed step-by-step of the process.

This should permanently fix your Check Engine Light issues. Good luck.

11. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner