Interesting article on belt changes. | FerrariChat

Interesting article on belt changes.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ronfrohock, Mar 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    gsfent, Il Steeg, Jeka and 2 others like this.
  2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for posting. Very insightful. I can now stop looking at the 458. That saved me 200k !

paulchua likes this.
  3. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks.

I remember reading something similar many years ago. I think it was a UK site, but it had the same 52,500 mile interval on the older Ferrari's (which is about 84,500km), including the Testarossa. The article went on to opine that the reason for the belt change interval had more to do with Ferrari dealers complaining that they could not make much money since they sold so few cars back in the day. So decreasing the time between required services was one way to help out the struggling dealers. I have no idea if that is true.

Given better technologies in rubber construction in the last 30+ years, it makes sense for longer intervals with 2 exceptions: (I.) if the car just sits and is not driven, since I think the rubber will deteriorate a bit faster and (II.) if you track the car (adding stress), it would be wise to opt for shorter intervals to determine empirically the condition of the cam belts over time.

Regards,
    Jerry

ronfrohock and paulchua like this.