International Race Of Champions | FerrariChat

International Race Of Champions

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Brian qv, Dec 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian qv

Brian qv Rookie

Dec 28, 2002
    Folsom, Ca
    Any TV coverage in the USA of the International Race Of Champions held in England on December 14? Speed TV? ESPN? Can't find it. Schumacher, Vettel, Button, and Coulthard will all be racing. Thanks.

2. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I think HDNet had the broadcast a few years back.
    They also put it online, I think.
    I think the official name is "race of champions"
    "International Race of champions" is the American version, which, ironically enough, usually just features American Nascar drivers.

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    International Race of Champions was Jay Signore's (Penske backed) team which is now gone. Equipment sold at auction last March.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Actually, the series also included other series drivers, although naturally the NASCAR drivers were the majority.

The series was shut down in 2007 after 33 years of competition.

5. HossB

HossB Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2005
    DC
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Cant wait for the RoC. Is the online version on their official website?

6. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    #6 Latsyrc, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    Pastrana was there last year, right? I ended up downloading it off a torrent site. I still rewatch it occasionally.

EDIT: Nevermind about the Pastrana part, I realize you were talking about the American version. :)

7. smart_alek

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    True, I should have said they featured drivers from American Series only. I remember Bourdais won on the first Oval he raced on in the stock cars, and people being impressed.

8. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Its actually called the "Race of Champions" and its only the 2nd time its been held in England. Mattias Ekström is the current Champion of Champions.

According to the website there is no official US station showing it LIVE http://www.raceofchampions.com/tv/schedule/ hopefully closer to the date there will be some internet streams available.

9. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #9 ProRallyCodriver, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
    According to AutoFiends, rally driver Travis Pastrana reportedly broke his hip and ankle, sidelining him for this weekend's Race of Champions.

Apparently Travis Pastrana has injured himself sustaining a rumored broken hip and ankle—we don’t have full details on how, although Travis is no stranger to crippling injuries. At 14 years old, he separated his spine from his pelvis and put himself into a coma for two weeks, thereby joining the small handful of people who lived through such damage. Since then, he's had more surgeries than Cheney yet always bounced back.

For this who don't know what the Race of Champions is, or may have it confused with the long dead aquaneon International Race of Champions, here's a primer:

To boil it down to it's gritty essence, the ROC pulls drivers of circuit racing and offroad racing series from around the world, sticks them in twitchy little rockets like the KTM X-Bow or the Abarth 500 and sets them loose to compete against each other head-to-head in the newly minted Wembley Stadium in London. Sounds like a hell of an event to miss when you've already got yourself a seat, right?

http://jalopnik.com/5106478/rumor-tr...eaks-hip-ankle

Travis has been filming for his TV show Nitro Circus doing some risky stunts. May have happened while filming. He showed me pics from one episode where they lawn-dart a monster truck destroying it. Last I saw him he was headed to California with a parachute to film another episode but that was weeks ago.

I hope Ken Block replaces him. Rumor is it may be Tanner Foust though.

10. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Will there be streaming video coverage on the Internet, as there was last year?

11. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #11 jknight, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
    Go here:

http://www.radiolemans.com shows Sunday at 0750 - go to WHAT'S ON, then to Race of Champions

Carol

12. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ta, for the link Carol, looks ok that.

13. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    You're quite welcome Steve - just hope it works okay. You going to Autosport? not this year for us, just got back from picking up car in Ingolstadt. Been on sportscar sites/forums quite a bit lately. Take care. Carol

14. lmunz22

lmunz22 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    What cars are they racing?

15. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    What time is that here in the US?

16. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'll be surprised if it is broadcast in the US. We are lucky to be able to see F1

17. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Rally America head-honcho says Tanner Faust will represent the USA now that Travis is injured. If you don't know Tanner, hes won drift championships, does well in rallycars, has won XGames stadium-style rallydriving gold medal, and hosts several TV shows including Redline TV and now Supercars Exposed.

18. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I've seen it on Speed for the last couple years. It is usually broadcast with a 3 week lag.

19. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The event is also on www.autosport.com which may be subscription

It starts at 230 pm UK time which is 830 am Houston etc (some preliminaries from 1 pm)

20. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm doing a spot of skiing when it's on Carol, are you ever at home..;)

21. smart_alek

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Jason Plato, former touring car champion and a presenter for Fifth Gear, is also going to participate.
    He will be representing one of the team UK teams.

22. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Last year, Speed had scheduled delayed coverage, but dropped it after the NASCAR driver got shut out in the first round (losing to Schumi *).

They replaced it with a half-hour review of a Toyota SUV and some other yawnathon program.

(* After Jeff Gordon ran a surprise upset over the europeans, they haven't been taking any chances with those damn yankees. :p)
    (But I'd bet the ROC is the only place where NASCAR good ole boys would be called "yankees". :D)

23. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    "Error - your computer is more than two months old". ;)
    (Flash 10 only came out in Oct.)