Internet speeds | FerrariChat

Internet speeds

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Asian1118, Dec 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    i have comast internet and it says that it works at 6mps i did a test on c/net here
    http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html
    and i got 945.3 Kbps - You 945.3 kbps
    does that mean that my internet connection should be 6x faster and if so why insent it, more so what does all this mean because my connection is fast already

2. acehole

acehole Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Axel
    Perhaps you are too far from the telephone exchange? best to call comcast and ask the operator to conduct some tests (they do this whilst your on the phone, you will hear ear piercing sounds coming from the eirpiece). The operator can practically tell you on the spot weather its line quality/distance/interference or whatever it is.

But call them up to make sure. Your connection theoretically should be 6mbps and not 945kbps.

3. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I have charter and they sell a 3mps and 6mps service. I have the 3mps. I just did the test and it came back at 1400.1 Kbps.

I don't really know anything about this stuff so I can't tell you where you should be.

4. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Distance to the telephone exchange only matters with DSL, not with cable.

Your internal network can affect the speed readings. For example, on my 6mbit Roadrunner connection, it shows up as less than 2 from my 802.11b laptop. On a wired, 100 Mbit connection, it shows as over 5. The network adapter that you're using could be affecting the result.

5. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
  6. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    I took myself off the network and did a line straight to my comp and now im around 4, how can i stop the decrese in power between my router and the comp

7. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    There could be a couple of other "normal" (i.e. not a problem but a "feature") things going on. First cable internet links are shared with your neighbors, so if others are using the pipe at the same time, your share of the total bandwidth decreases. Second, high bandwidth internet links in general (DSL, cable, etc) can be "throttled" by the service provider. That's one way they can provide different levels of service.

8. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.