iPod Interface 09 California | FerrariChat

iPod Interface 09 California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mrmicks, Jun 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrmicks

mrmicks Rookie

May 11, 2016
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with the issues I'm having with the iPod interface on my 09 California.

I don't have an iPod but have done some reading around this, and other forums, about how to get the adaptor working with a newer iPhone with a lightning connector. Sadly I've had intermittent results.

I have an iPhone 11 Pro and have bought third party iPod->Lightning adaptors and a Bovee WMA1000 Tuner2Air. The cable does nothing but charge the iPhone, which is useful, but not exactly what I was after.

Using the Bovee I can get a connection, the iPod option appears on the California, and I can start playing music. After a little while I get a 'Communication Interrupted' message on the screen and the only way to restore it is to disconnect/re-connect the Bovee.

Can anyone recommend either another option for connecting, something I can do with the iPhone to ensure it maintains the connection, or do I have a faulty Bovee or iPod adaptor?

2. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    See my post on pulling the trigger on a 2010 California, I bought a Car Pro unit in the states, plugs into the Ipod connector (30 pin), and it streams maps, music and podcasts via blue tooth.

3. mrmicks

mrmicks Rookie

May 11, 2016
    Thanks. That's a similar unit to the WMA1000 I have so I watched the linked video from your thread. The reviewer described having the same issue I'm having with my adaptor, which was solved by disconnecting and reconnecting the CarPro unit, so I've got some reluctance to pick one up.

I have a friend using the same adaptor I have in a Maserati GT, which is has the same sound system, as the Cali. His works fine. Which is why I'm wondering if its an issue with my Cali or the phone.

What phone are you using to connect? I've read some odd things about the iPhone 11 Pro and Bluetooth and wonder if its that.

4. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Its an iphone 13 standard. Not the big one or the fancy photographic model. I also have a blue tooth unit which plugs into the aux socket on the radio and that works fine.
    My only real issue is both the Car Pro and the Ferrari blue tooth are activated, and when the map app gives direction, the car blue tooth says "cal finished." Don't know how to disconnect the Ferrari blue tooth but its not that bad to disturb me.

Also, I listen to my Iphone 13 on an older Bose smart speaker with blue tooth and I have had no problems with it.

5. rgb125

rgb125 Rookie

Sep 15, 2019
    I have a 2010 Cali using Bovee same as yours and have the same problem. I’ve been able to clear the error by turning off blue tooth on the phone for a minute or two, then turning back on and reconnecting. Works every time, but still kind of a PITA. Still, allows me to play my music once connected, so I’ve just put up with it…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

mrmicks likes this.
  6. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

My carpro does the same thing on my 2010 and I've talked with carpro, they have great support, and tried all their tricks and tips with no change. I have an AUX bluetooth adapter which works great but the issue with that is that I have to change music with the phone instead of the wheel controls and charge the thing every now and then. Both options are equally annoying I suppose....

rgb125 and mrmicks like this.