“Irregularities” in Maintenance Records | FerrariChat

“Irregularities” in Maintenance Records

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by stevesp98, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevesp98

stevesp98 Rookie

Mar 6, 2017
    Ok I’m reaching out to the Ferrari brain trust here to check my thinking. I’m currently on the hunt for a 575M and recently found one at a dealership (not Ferrari dealer but other brand of high end exotic) that I really liked. Reached out to the dealership and they sent me a package of scanned maintenance records. However, the VIN on 3 consecutive years (2014-16) of records was wrong. These were all minor services with some other incidental stuff like fixing an interior trim piece, replacing a sensor, etc. The 2017 record had the correct VIN and was for a major service with some other incidentals that appeared to be quite well done (Hill Engineering Bearings, etc.) and an appropriately hefty price. I ran the incorrect VIN and it came back for a 575M of the same year and color as the one at dealership that I liked.

So my question is, am I being paranoid to walk on this car or should I get it inspected anyway? I’ve been into vintage Porsches all my life and generally know what I’m doing buying and selling cars. This is my first step into the world of Ferrari and while a 575 isn’t a stretch for me financially, it is a major purchase and I want it to be right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Do the PPI. Records are great. They also take diligence when passing through the hands of a sequence of owners and/or dealers. But the car is the flesh. If you have a good guy to do the PPI and you have good confidence in the major service as you mentioned, then the minor stuff is or probably shouldn't be a deal killer. YMMV.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you walk for that reason, that is pretty paranoid. If there are other things you did not mention...