Is anyone else going to "The Rock" Thurs.? | FerrariChat

Is anyone else going to "The Rock" Thurs.?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Nov 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Is anyone else thinking of going down to "The Rock" on Thursday morning? Gotta get there EARLY! No later than 8-9AM.(7-8 is better!) You WILL be on the Motorsports Unlimited cable access show if you go. He always says,"If you make the effort to come down here,I will get you on". That would make a nice memento and keepsake.

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I'd love to, but I'll be in St. Joe Michigan. Yahoo.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Cool! Are you driving your 328 there?

4. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    If it wasn't cold, and I didn't have the suspension torn apart, Oh well

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Forties and sunshine. Hell yes, I'll be there.

So if none of you guys show, well, I'll take the pictures, ok.

6. ChicagoVV

ChicagoVV Karting

Oct 26, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dan Van Voorhis
    I will do my best to be there on Thursday as well - got a hot date Wednesday night, so probably won't be there too early!! I really look forward to finally meeting some of you guys.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Kewl. I'll bet the one there with the red Ferrari.
    :)

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,now they say Flurries ovenight. You can't ever tell with these Weatherpeople. Just gotta "play it by ear",and see what the Weather is on Thursday Morning,when I get up, I guess. It may GET UP to 40,but early in the AM,it's going to be in the 20's or low 30's! BRRRRRR! But,I really am looking forward to going. Have been meaning to for the last few years. But,It's hard to get my ass moving early on a cold Thanksgiving morning. Will be nice to be able to run down to the city on the "Ike" in less than 15 minutes to Downtown. You NEVER hardly ever get a chance to do that too often,anymore! But,if I go,I may bring Junior along. And,Andreas,I'll have that thing for you,too.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Frank, how does this event work?

You said to show up before 8 am. Ok, then what? Sit there and wait until we get the car on TV and then what? Is there an end time, is there a breakfast, do we go anywhere from there? Is there a concours?

I guess I'll bring some coffee and warm clothes.

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,from what I've seen on The Cable Access show. It's a very small "gathering",not a "car show". (but,it kind of turns into one!) Mr. Wildt is MORE than Passionate about Motorsports. (He used to Race cars and Motorcycles when he was younger. He's about 60 now.) I was on the phone with him once for almost an hour talking about cars,shows,etc... He does this SIMPLY out of his own PASSION for Motorsports and the fact that we here in Chicago were host to THE first,official Automobile Race ever held in America. (which just so happened to be on Thanksgiving,in,I believe.1895) When he first started going to "The Rock", and filming a show,solely to inform everyone what it is about. (spreading the word) Only a few people were there. Subsequently,every year,more and more people have been going down there to "Share the Passion",so to speak. He explains the significance of "The Rock" monument. Then,as he does with all of the shows that he films for his "Motorsports Unlimited" show, goes to people to show them and their car,and have a short interview with them. About who they are,where they are from,about their car,and so forth. Just a couple minutes,or so,for each person. Sometimes.a little bit more if he's REALLY excited about your car. There have never been ANY Ferrari's down there yet. And,when I spoke to him,he is VERY PASSIONATE about Ferrari's and Exotic cars. So,I will bet that he'll be pretty excited about that,and surely get us on. Maybe we can talk to him sometime about covering one of the big Ferrari events. Preferably,the Oakbrook show. Anyway. Yes,bring your own Hot coffee and Doughnuts. Dress WARM! But,he says that if YOU have made the effort to go down there,then HE will make the effort to get you and your car on his show. He gets everybody that shows up,on the show. Last year,he made it into 2-1 hour shows. They usually broadcast a couple weeks after filming. Nice to tape it for a memento,or something. You and your car on TV. So,no awards. No going anywhere. You can leave after you've been interviewed,if you want. But,there are ALWAYS some VERY,VERY COOL and interesting vehicles that show up. Some of the Bikers from "Toys for Tots" usually arrive,too. He gets down there EARLY,I think by 8:00AM,latest. (so they can get done and everyone can get back home to watch Football and have Thanksgiving Dinner.) But,he usually tapes people in the order that they arrrive. So,the Earlier,the better. Then you can Skee-daddle if you want. The MG club is always the first guys to arrive. Some have really old MG's. And,some come with no top on their cars! So,it's really just a little informal gathering. Mr.Wildt explains "The Rock" plaque,and interviews and shows people and their cars. Just a "neat" little thing to do,and get you and your car on TV,to tape as a Keepsake,memento,whatever. You must meet this man. He is about THE most passionate person in regard to motorsport and anything motorized that I have ever met. A really cool guy! Good "Photo op's" too. Your car,besides "The Rock". And,the Museum is in the background.

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,NOW they say possible showers overnight into the morning! I am going to watch Tom Skilling,IMO,THE weather "Guru",on Channel 9,today,and see whats up. I guess I'll just have to wake up and see tomorrow morning! (Definitive!)

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    O.K. The car is gassed up. The windows are clean. The car is clean. Junior and I are excited and ready to go. HOPEFULLY,the weather will cooperate,JUST for the Morning,at least,so that we can get this in. Last one of the Year,no doubt. We'll be leaving no later than 07:00AM. Should be down there by 07:30AM-ISH. (ISH. Wasn't that the Amish guy in the movie "Kingpin"! HeeHeeHee!) And,if we do go,I'll have your Thingamajig,Andreas.

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I will post here in the morning if we go. I'll know when I wake up. If it's dry,we'll be there. If it's wet,we won't. BTW...The New York FChat area is going to unseat us as 3rd.place in posts. If you haven't noticed. They put each region in "Place" according to post count. Currently,Europe is 1st. SoCal is 2nd. And,we are 3rd. But,New York just squeezed past us. They didn't switch us into 4th.yet,but,if I'm the only guy posting and answering myself,they will! (HeeHeeHee :) )

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, we can't have NY passing us by, can't we. But then again it might be unavoidable, they got the ultimate super weapon: DES

Anyway, I went out early this morning to make it to the rock. Actually too early as it turns out. With some help from Bob I finally spotted the place: The rock is rather small, it was the camera next to it, that tipped me off. Cars weren't too many there at that time, so my 308 was the second taped.

Well, if it had only been up to my car, it would have been all fun and games, but Bill had to interview me. And without a beer in my system, I got pretty much camera shy and stumbled some half English sentences. Bill was very nice though. Asked me whether it was a Fiero. First time ever I got that question. He got a tad embarrassed when I said, nope. Once the interview was over, I smiled, looked at him and said: Fooled you pretty good, it is a Fiero. He almost fell over backwards. Then I showed him the engine, just to make sure...

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    After a while more cars showed. Of course the American hot rods and a few MGs. Some of which with the top down, not all though.

Don't know for sure, but there is a chance my car was the first real Ferrari they ever had on the show, hehe.

Before I left, I gave him one of our calendars and mentioned our FCA events. Who knows, maybe one day he'll show up.

Anyway, I'm gonna make this a tradition going forward. Fun and easy enough (for me) event. And the 308 never feels better in that cold air. Oh and btw: They asked me to rev it before I left so they could tape it. I did just that, but felt incredibly silly. Like some teeny out of 2 Fast 2 Furious. So don't blame me for that. It was HIS idea.

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,I am glad that you went,Andreas. It looks like it wasn't raining down there. But,it was by my house,so,obviously,didn't go. I WAS all ready to go,though. I set my alarm for 6:00AM. I got up,looked outside,and it was raining here. Frankie Junior was as disappointed as I was. Had the car all clean and gassed up. Had all my stuff ready to go on the way out. Even had a dozen fresh Krispy Kreme's for the occassion. But,I am a "stickler" about bringing my car out in the Rain. Sorry that I missed you. Isn't Bill a super guy? Get talking to him about cars sometime and he just keeps going and going! (which,to me is Cool,as he has ALOT of stories and even more KNOWLEDGE!) And,see what I was talking about in regard to getting there early. He usually takes you in the order that you arrived. His cameraman,Chuck Itzenthaler,has a V8 Fiero. Did he bring it out there? Anyway,once again,sorry I didn't make it down there. My intentions were good,but the Weather wasn't! Like the Cubs...Maybe next year! It would be nice to get Bill to cover one of the Ferrari events,possibly the Oakbrook show,as there are more cars and he likes a little variety,as you probably saw. I have his phone #,and all the "skinny" about how to get him to cover an event. He used to cover a Show/Concours at a place in Hinsdale or Burr Ridge. But,they don't have that show anymore. But,there were some incredibly nice,OLD Ferrari's on it. I believe that Bill Jacobs,from the Auto Dealership family. Lives out that way and has some really nice,old Ferrari's. Also,Bill Wildt has an old buddy who lives out in St.Charles,or around there,who is on his show once in awhile. And,he always has some Ferrari's that Bill has had on his show,too. New ones and old ones. Is this man enthusiastic,or what!? He does all of this,and his show,SIMPLY out of his intense passion for cars,and everything motorized. Have you seen his show,yet?

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah, I have seen his show. And no, no Fiero from his cameraman. I just hope they edit the crap out I said, this is going to be one embarassing moment for me...I just couldn't find the words and by the time I did, he was already talking about something else. Well, at least I got a haircut yesterday...

18. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Check out Bill's website; www.msutv.com When it comes up,look at the right side. It will show,"Newest shows,first". Scroll down to the "FieroRama", and "Click it". It shows quite a few Fiero's,including a White 355 Spyder look-a-like,and that 288GTO that I was telling you about. Doesn't show the 246 Dino Spyder,though. I taped that show the other night,and Bill Interviews Both the owner of the 288GTO replica,and the owner of the 246 Dino Spyder replica. Now,one of those,WITH the V8 Archie V8 kit,WOULD be cool. And,I DON'T CARE what ANYONE says! A little,light Fiero,with a High Performance V8,(500 HP) with a very good looking 288GTO body kit,would be a cool little car. Fast as all Hell,too! Blow away those RiceRockets in STYLE!

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The 355 and the 288 look interesting. I'd like to see more of them, the devil is in the details. If I may, I'd like to borrow your tape and take a closer look at the GTO. From a distance I can say they did a lot of things right. Actually better details than many GTO rebodies, but I would have to see it up close. BTW: Is that lady in black leather in the video too? The Ferrari owners don't have all the trophy wifes I guess.

And you're right, throw in the V8 engine and you got yourself a fun toy. Heck, if we can find this guy, I would like to invite him to one of our summer drives. Wouldn't mind the sight of a 288 GTO in my rear view mirror. Could be a fun picture next to the 250 GTO.

20. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The Lady in the Black Leather skirt is "Luda K." She's Bill's assisstant. She's an Interior Designer from Russia,who is enjoyable,and seems to enjoy,asking people about their cars in broken English. (sometimes,getting a little bit frustrated!) Yes,next time I see you,I'll bring the tape along for you to borrow.

21. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Frank-

Really......what's the BIG deal about being on MU??

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Not really a BIG deal. Just a nice little thing to have for a keepsake. My car on the show,being interviewed...No biggie. I've been on TV before,and was an "extra" in a couple of movies...(UNFORTUNATELY,all my scenes never made it to the Big Screen! :( ) But,the big deal for me was that I was going to bring my 6 year old son,so HE could be on the show. (BIG deal to Him! :) ) THAT would be nice to record when it airs,and keep. A video of my boy,and my toy,together on "Motorsports Unlimited". Bill usually asks the kids to say stuff. That would have been a neat thing to have. Maybe next year!

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The TV deal is a nice add-on, not really the main attraction.

For me as a race fan first and tifosi second, racetracks are like holy ground and I get a kick out of visiting them, especially when I can do that with my Ferrari. Loved it driving INTO the Indianapolis speedway and also thought it was cool visiting Meadowdale racetrack earlier this year thanks to Bob.

The Rock is just another of these venues and so participating in an event like this, gives me a kick. Just like when I drove in a rental car through Spa or the streets of Monaco. And since this event was easy for me to attend to, I'm gonna make this a nice tradition going forward.

The "big" deal about being on TV for me is, that next year, I'll have a drink before going there to loosen myself up. Having starred in movies before I thought, no biggie, but sure enough got all verklemmt when the red light switched on on the camera.

24. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Frank-

Hope I didn't seem 'downbeat'; I was just wondering.

I can see how it would be very exciting for your son.

25. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Oh.No Skip. I didn't mean it like that! Not at all. Just thought that my little guy would dig it,as,sometimes,when he gets to stay up a little late,he watches Motorsports Unlimited with me and said he'd like to be on. Thats all. Or,like Andreas says. A nice "memento" . But,whats funny,is when my Daughter was a baby and toddler. I used to push her over,in her stroller,to the Oakbrook Terrace Car shows that they used to have,off of Rt.38 (Roosevelt Rd.) and Summit. And,when Bill was there with his "Feather Girls" and if they were on a Break,they'd come up and Fawn all over my little Girl. "Oh,she's so cute!" and all that stuff. Little kids and babies are A "Chick magnet", but,unfortunately,if you have one of those with you (Kid or Baby) it usually means you're married,and the "Magnetism" ends there! :( Oh Well! You should have seen how excited Junior was at that Downers Grove Hooters show. The "Emcee" asked him,earlier,to come by the Trailer/Booth around 3:00PM. So,ofcourse,he kept asking me,"Dad,is it 3:00 yet?" all afternoon. Then when 3:00 finally DID come along,Junior and I went over to the Booth. And,the guy introduced him as the "Official Raffle Ticket Puller" and let my son pull all of the Tickets. The 2 Hooters Girls were smiling at him,and making him blush. And,at the end,they had the crowd give him a nice round of Applause,and they gave him some little gifts for "helping out". It was fun. And,ofcourse,Dad didn't bring the Video Camera that day!!!