Is Hamilton the luckiest driver ever? | FerrariChat

Is Hamilton the luckiest driver ever?

Discussion in 'F1' started by pnicholasen, Jul 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Don't get me wrong; he is obviously a supremely talented driver. Bottas is a damn fine driver and Lewis leaves him consistently in the dust. It just seems to my feeble memory that Hamilton gets a disproportionate share of lucky breaks. When his car contacts another, his usually comes out better in the exchange while the other car ends up out of the race. Then there's safety cars at opportune times allowing him to unlap himself, or at Silverstone getting a red flagged race allowing him to get his car repaired and a cracked wheel replaced. The breaks just seem to almost always go his way..The saying goes " you make your own luck", if so, Lewis is making a bundle of it somehow.
    We'll see if this continues with the almost inevitable next round of Bumper Cars With Max.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

F2003-GA and ypsilon like this.
  2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I've said it before that Ham is very lucky.

F2003-GA, Bas and ypsilon like this.
  3. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    During the MS dominate years, I would be shot down if I called MS lucky. The standard reply for the 10 years MS was dominant was "there is no such thing as luck, he's just that good".

Funny, how if you spend the last 10 years denying Ferrari victories your efforts are Luck, however if you spent an earlier decade brining Ferrari victories your efforts were pure skill.

Lewis has crushed Ferrari for too long to be justified as anything else but pure luck by F-car fans, so now that we have the translation correct... (MS=skill, LH=Luck) please carry on with more LH talk on F-chat as he is the most popular driver by number of times his name is mentioned by Ferrari fans 10 to 1 over any other driver. (Do we really need more LH threads?)

4. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I wasn't implying his record is based on luck. He is one of the best drivers around and has the best car around. It just seems when he's involved in the occasional "incident" he consistently seems to come out with minimal repercussions, while others end up in the weeds.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

stavura, Bas, RobertJRB and 1 other person like this.
  5. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Additionally the FIA have been very lenient towards the transgressions of Hamilton.

Hamilton Senior hovering around the Stewards office has proved useful on occassion too ;)

6. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yes indeed, 10 second penalty versus wing and wheel replacement a deal anybody would take, what a lucky break.
    The question is , was it more than luck?
    We will never know.

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Max and Lewis will tangle again, sooner rather than later. The next time Lewis will end up in the weeds.

Thecadster likes this.
  8. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I mean, Max has the faster car. I still expect Redbull to take the title. If we have more fighting, I’m all for it.

ricksb and william like this.
  9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Hamilton has certainly had his share of divine intervention over the years. Things totally out of his control that he was able to take advantage of. That said a LOT of instances that are called 'luck' are actually an extremely skilled driver and well drilled team that are able to almost instantaneously make the correct decision when circumstances change. That is NOT luck but preparation.

10. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    Yes. Yes,he is.

JJ likes this.
  11. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Not sure about Max having the faster car. Perez is a good driver and did nothing with it; Bottas is decent and came third in the MB. I think the MB is a bit faster than the RB but that Max is the fastest driver in f1. Max will have to beat both MB and the FIA to win the title this year.

Thecadster, stavura, SimCity3 and 5 others like this.
  12. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    +1
    The FIA loves to see Hamilton keep winning.

Proof is always in the eating.

stavura, mcimino, fil and 1 other person like this.
  13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    While he certainly was lucky at Silverstone one could argue he was unlucky in Austria: There the car was under performing and he then had the bad luck (or Max the good fortune) to drive on the same track twice within a week. That wasn't planned that way, that just happened because other places (Montreal, Turkey) couldn't hold a race.

Luck and bad luck go both ways.

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I tell you who is was unlucky...Ferrari and Leclerc last weekend. Darn....it was close!

ricksb likes this.
  15. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That was tough to watch at the end.

E60 M5 and 375+ like this.
  16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes! I hope Ferrari performance means they are making steps forward. I sure would like to see Lec taking points from both Ham and Max

E60 M5 likes this.
  17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Spinning out under no contact will tend to result in zero points (Perez).

I don't know about Max needing to beat MB and the FIA...they changed the floor rules so that we could have an actual battle this year. Red Bull is the more versatile package. They will walk to victory in Hungary (barring mech failure or something)

18. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    You could also say they were both lucky to have led all those laps, and finish 2nd. I did not expect any of that.

19. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Freshmeat banned 2 days for P&R material on Hamilton outside the P&R thread.

there is a dedicated thread in P&R. If you wish to post questionable content, that thread is your friend. Keep the F1 section to normal topics. Thanks.

Robb

20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    He isn’t the greatest by a long shot. Good, but not the best. Also very lucky. And he has the best equipment and the best brain wall by far.

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U provoke luck but it’s true he has had a lot of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

william and SimCity3 like this.
  22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Talented but extremely lucky.

stavura, Picchu88 and SimCity3 like this.
  23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's not by luck that Mercedes and Hamilton have often been at the right place to take advantage of others' mistakes or failures: they are very much at the front and always look for opportunities where some would give up. Both team and driver are very motivated, whilst some look resigned.

Nuvolari likes this.
  24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Not sure if he's the luckiest...but the dumbest yes.....and his Luck has another name....

25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yes, and they know how to motivate Pirro and friends...

stavura and fil like this.