Is it possible to find an original radio for my 328? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is it possible to find an original radio for my 328?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jedi, Mar 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you want a classic 80's look, put an older Alpine in it.

I have always been in love with the look of older Alpine radios since I was in college in the early 80's. The green backlight, the square little buttons for radio channels, the tactile feel, oh that was so great. As you look through the car cockpit, all you need is a glimse of that radio and you know there is an Alpine stereo in the car. That is what we marketing professionals call "brand power." And then in the 90's they went and ruined the look. Now Alpine looks like everybody else's blah look. Leads me to wonder ...

1. Who was the engineer that redesigned the T-bird to a 4 seat hardtop from the classic 2 seater convertible car?
    2. Who was the engineer that redesigned the Mercedes gull wing sports car into a regular SL series?
    3. Who was the engineer that decided the square green buttons on the Alpine are no longer hip enough?
    4. Who was the engineer that took the BMW 6 series of the 80s and put a funny trunk on it for 2008?

Sometimes, it is not all about making a better mousetrap!

2. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have this 8-Track unit ..... :)

3. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    The typical radios installed by the dealerships for their customers, when the cars were delivered new, were ---

Becker --- for the F-cars circa pre 1975
    Blaupunkt --- for the F-cars circa 1975-1990

Almost any Ferrari made during the 80's will have a Blaupunkt deck installed ---- if it is the original unit put in by the dealer. The Blaupunkts fit nicely, and they were simply regarded as the "high-end, befitting of a Ferrari" brand of the era. Also, Ferrari used to have very strong alliances with the German manufacturers --- alot of German made components in your 328. :)

For example, my '81 308 has the original Blaupunkt tape deck (it even still works!!) that was installed by the dealer for the when the car was delivered to the original owner. But, the original, factory window sticker lists no radio --- just speakers installed as OEM optional equipment.

4. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    you have to go what was made in the 80,s Blaupunkt, Grundig.Alpine. it was up to the customer what Radio he wanted to put in his Ferrari and the dealership would install them,normaly the ones with 2 black dailing knobs will do and push buttons.there are some on e-bay now.

5. judrick

judrick Karting

Jun 7, 2007
    Knoxville,TN
    Full Name:
    Rick Haynes
    My 89 328GTS has a cassette player that was installed new, the brand is Radion (never heard of it) I too would like to change it out. Personally I don't want an older unit I like the idea of a modern CD player maybe USB build in XM etc.... I am more concerned with the black face plate blending in with the dash and orange/amber lighting or what ever color that is that matches the rest of the instrumentation. Any ideas where I could find that combination? Everywhere I look the units all seem to be blue.

6. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Sony and Nakamici used to make units that were into the orange and amber illumination --- as opposed to the blues and greens that Alpine and Blaupunkt preferred. I used to have a Nakamci unit in my Audi that would have very nicely complemented the gauges of the 328 --- but, both the car and radio are long gone...

7. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    i have a really nifty marconi crystal receiver which is very rare.
    alas, you need headphones to hear anything.

why do you need anything additional to the v-8 behind you?

8. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.

That is a cliché that always gets brought up. But in my opinion that's missing the point. We install these units mostly because they look period correct. And what's installed, needs to function correctly as well. Regardless of whether we use it or not.
    Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't listen to music much while I'm in the Ferrari, but with the traffic nowadays, inevitably I'm gonna get stuck somewhere. That's when I turn it on.....

9. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    My 88.5 328 has an Alpine cassette deck in the dash with an Alpine CD changer in the back trunk. That is what the original owner installed.

10. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Not true. In 1989 the dealer installed a Sony in my 328. It has a black removable faceplate, yellow illumination, a zillion or so watts, and a 10 CD changer in the trunk. It could easily power a disco hall. But I never, ever, turn it on. Still has the same CD's loaded in '89.

11. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So you're saying there might be some sort of problem with 21 year old
    timing belts??? :)
    Smile

Whew... just checked the service record again and they were replaced
    last August!

Dave

12. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't - if you go back and re-read my original post, I don't plan to
    listen to a radio at all. Since an original 'blank plate' from Ferrari is
    unobtainable, I just want to put something in the hole that looks like
    it's from 1986. The rest of the car is so original, I just think it should
    have an original looking cassette deck, that I won't play.

I'm with you - the sound of the engine is ALL I want to hear.

Dave

13. 308-newbie

308-newbie Guest

simple, many others have said it already. Put an old Blaupunkt in. They were "everything" in the 80's. Alpine was catching on but not quite the same snob apeal (make no apologies for it). Anybody that wanted lots of noise went Alpine, and anybody that wanted the symphony to ride with them went B. Enjoy the little blue dot as many others have...

14. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I seem to remember Clarion magazine ads in the 80's stating that they were the official supplier to Ferrari. I might be wrong, it was a long time ago, but it stuck in my mind because at the time I didn't think of Clarion as a high-end brand. Does anybody else remember this ad?

My 86 Mondial 3.2 has a Clarion radio/CD unit that I think originally came with the car. I assume the dealer installed based upon discussion here, but if my recollection of that magazine ad is correct, maybe Ferrari installed radios on some cars?

15. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    If you decide to go with Blaupunkt, then to be both model and period correct I would suggest the Koln for a Euro 328 and the Monterey for a US car. Both Bs have cassette but no CD. Although they look alike, the Koln is higher end and, in addition to AM and FM, has a European specific frequency.

16. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Perhaps the ads stated they were the "official supplier" to manufacturers of Fiero based Ferrari repclicars.

17. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Just have a blank one made up. The blank in my 328(mine came with no radio) appears to be just some wood(or similar material) padded up and covered with the same vinyl stuff used for the rest of the dash.

18. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    I am on my third radio and second set of speakers in 21 years, Kenwood makes a unit that flips over to a blank plate when the power is off and also offers green or red backlighting so it matches the instrument lighting.....only brighter!!!!!

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello from Germany,

that stereotypic cliché ' why need a radio in a Ferrari ' makes me tired. Maybe I'm not enthusiast enough after 12 years of ownership of a carbed 308 GTB, but I have no problems to admit, that the engine sound can also be kind of unnerving while travelling long distances.
    And sometimes I really enjoy the correct music on an empty german Autobahn. Some correct R&B or similar at 150 mls./hr. is sometimes medicine for me.
    So I MYSELF need a good sound system in my car.

Best Regards

Martin

20. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    My 1989 328 has been in our family since new, and my Father had the dealer install an Alpine head unit with single CD slot in its front and ADS amp. At the time most dealers were suggesting Blaupunkts, as it had kind of a yellow orange backlighting that was an ok match for when the instruments cluster was lit up. However, the other popular brand used in European cars back then was Alpine. As we had dealt with Blaupunkts our Porsches, and we were not too thrilled with them, my Father chose an Alpine. I have since removed the original Alpine radio/CD (and put it in a box). I replaced it with a newer Alpine head uinit with single CD player and removeable face plate. The old unit was good quality for the time but those very early CD players skipped when driving over the slightest bump inthe road. The new players looks similar to the old one but no more CDs skipping...not that it matters much as I have probably used the new radio 4 times in the last 2 years...I'd rather listen to the engine.

I wouldn't worry about finding a radio from 1986, most are goofy looking at best. Even if you show your car, its not going to matter to the Judges, check the FCA concours rules/judging. In addition, I'm sure most Judges know the car originally came without any radio. Just get something simple, without all the goofy flashing lights that some newer radios have, and you will have something tasteful and useful.

Best regards,
    Dino

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    +1 on the detachable faceplate style..

But you are right the modern units look like a video game, rolling down the road!

As they were dealer installed there really is no "original radio', some models like the Boxer were different, with Factory systems.

22. judrick

judrick Karting

Jun 7, 2007
    Knoxville,TN
    Full Name:
    Rick Haynes
    I just purchased a refurbished Nacamichi CD400 radio/CD player from Ebay today. It has a black face plate with small black knobs and orange illumination, it looks really nice. I would have purchased a new unit but... seems they have either green or blue illumination, huge silver knobs or both. I purchased my 89 328GTS about a year ago it came with a cassette player. The brand name is Radion (Never heard of it). Only concern I have from my ebay purchase is that Nacamichi is no longer in business.

23. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Nakamichi did make a really great radio/head unit years ago, and they were quite pricey. I did not know that the were no longer in business.

I would say, that if the car were a 512 Boxer or something that came with an "Factory Installed" headunit, then having a correct radio/head unit would matter. But in a 328 where there was no factory radio/head unit, just get something understated and that you will enjoy. I rarely listen to the radio or CD player but its nice to know its there if I want to listen to it. Prices have come way down and the quality far superior to any of the 80s radios that you might get off ebay. The original Alpine head unit with a single CD player slot was around $750 when the car/radio was originally purchased. The new Alpine head unit I replaced it with is better quality and better features (plus removeable face plate) and since the model I wanted was being discontinued, I got it on sale for $120.00. Plus I like having the detachable face plate feature.

If you are determined to get an 80's Blaupunkt, I'd search for a Blaupunkt Monterey SQR23. It was standard equipment in all 1986 Porsche 928S and 911 Turbos that year, and it was a much higher quality unit than most other Blaupunkts (especially compared to the Reno unit that replaced it). Obviously, the danger with buying one of these is that even if it works the day you get it, how much life is left in a 20 year old head unit?

Good luck and best regards,
    Dino

24. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ok - so now I'm thinking I'll take the whole idea back!

I just got the car, and it turns out the Kenwood installed is actually quite
    high end. I never really messed with it on the test drive! It's a high
    power, high end unit with upgraded great sounding speakers, and has
    Serius Satellite, and even was hard-wired with an iPod connector cleverly
    hidden in the little hump pouch, plus USB input and a 'hidden' CD player
    behind the face.

I just wish it wasn't silver, but hey - it's actually a pretty darn nice
    stereo and for now, it stays!

Dave