Is it possible to register an old car in texas with actual miles on title? | FerrariChat

Is it possible to register an old car in texas with actual miles on title?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by F355 Fan 82, Oct 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #1 F355 Fan 82, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    I just picked up a 5k mile car off BAT a few weeks ago. It's a 1999 and I went to go register it and I was told the mileage would be EXEMPT on the title and there are no exceptions for a car 10+ year old. I have 2 older cars here with me in miami and the actual mileage is on the titles. I asked the dealer I bought my Ferrari from in Naples how he did it for me in florida and he said if the original title doesn't say exempt you can put the actual mileage when you register it in florida.....is this not the same in texas?cThis car is in a warehouse I have in north houston and I really don't even have room to leave it in miami bc I live in a condo so I'd like it registered there bc I already bought it insurance in houston.

Obviously with the miles that low I'd like it to be on the title but it seems like there is no way. Reading around online it appears that all I can do is use carfax, keep great service records and inspection records to validate the miles. Seems silly but is there anything I can do to get the title to say 5583 miles which it has right now. I have the original title from the seller and it has 31 miles stated on it from maryland. Is this even that big a deal if it says exempt? From reading around it seems like every older car will be the same issue. Is this a big deal to future buyers buying a museum quality car if the title has miles as "exempt"

Thank you

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Just a thought, maybe have a Bill of Sale written up with the mileage stated within the document. You could even have it notarized to substantiate the details within.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yeah, that's pretty much the situation. But don't sweat it. No one believes the mileage on a 20-year old car anyway.

4. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    Maybe get serviced at the dealer and tbe record will be recorded for Carfax purposes?

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Wisconsin is the same... my testarossa when bought had 6000 miles... they refused to enter it...

The smog center though, had no problem entering the mileage as 106,000....

Good luck ever fixing it...

7. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    #7 AClark, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    I think you will need a Texas State Inspection to register the car in Texas , which in essense will have your current mileage.

Giving you an official document with miles noted (Which in turn may make it on Car Fax )

A

Texas Forever likes this.