Is it possible to register in CA a non California car (past 1975) | FerrariChat

Is it possible to register in CA a non California car (past 1975)

Discussion in '308/328' started by GT4 Dino driver, Aug 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT4 Dino driver

Aug 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Hi everyone,

I have just moved to CA and I am looking to buy a 308 GT4. Unfortunately I haven‘t been able to track down a CA car. This brings me to my question: is it possible to pass the CA smog check on a non CA post 1975 car ? Would I need to have a catalyst installed and all the special air pumps etc. ?

Any help (or if you know of a CA car) would be very much appreciated.

thanks

2. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    All USA 308 gt4 has smog equipment.

3. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Post 1975 cars need to have all of the emissions equipment installed and pass the smog test and visual test. There are two smog tests in CA, one a Dyno that is used for pre-2009 cars I believe and the post 2009 doesn't need the Dyno test. Good luck.

Sent from my HD1925 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    No dyno test in smaller cities. Live near San Luis Obispo. Check smog equipment present, exhaust at idle, exhaust at 2500.
    Check with the local smog check stations near you for requirements.

5. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Yes, it is possible, lots of cars are here from 1975+ and they all pass. The issue with bringing in an out-of-state car is that it hasn't passed the CA smog check in the past. So there's no telling if it's missing important equipment. Hang around here and you see a few threads a year about someone removing smog bits from their cars in Georgia or Minnesota because who needs all that stuff? You will and it probably won't come with the car. And it can be hard to get. Sure the pump(s) is a Chevy part, but the brackets are specific to that model and/or model year. Those are some weird distributors too. And Ferrari was making hundreds of cars per year, not millions, so they aren't piled up in junkyards waiting for you to pluck an obscure piece of of them. Probably you can hunt that stuff down, it will just take some time and money.

And then you can start tuning the four Webers.

6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sounds like you are thinking of the 49 state category which were vehicles that passed Federal standards but did not comply with California standards at the time of original sale. As far as I know none of the 308's were ever 49 state vehicles and even if it were it would be exempt from the rule if it had over 7500 miles. That regulation was really just about sales of new cars.

7. witz

witz Rookie

Nov 13, 2015
    Los Angeles Calif.
    It doesn't matter what state the car comes from, it just has to be 75' and older to be smog exempt.

8. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Do yourself a favor and get a 74-75. If this is the car you want, it makes life a lot easier.

cmt6891 likes this.
  9. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Better yet, just get the hell out of California!!!

10. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    There are many 1976 to 1979 year model 308 GT4s here in California. I have a friend with a 1979 model here (15420). But if you can find a 1974 or 1975 model, get that. You won't have to deal with smog at all then. I prefer Series 1 cars anyway, but another big factor in buying mine was the fact it's a 1975 model.

11. TCBoiler

TCBoiler Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Yep, 15420 passes smog every two years! Drove it in the Santa Cruz mountains this weekend right behind a Scud and a 430. Never more than two car lengths back (social distancing...).

dyerhaus and Martyt like this.
  12. GT4 Dino driver

Aug 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks everyone. I did purchase a 1975 308 GT4 CA car last September. So everything done that you recommended :)
    I am very much enjoying it and just participated in the Hillsborough tour delegance. So much fun !

13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Dinnis check your message.

14. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    Ah, yes! It was really cool to meet you at the drive, and I loved your car. Thanks for letting me chat you up about the 308 GT4 so much!