Is it safe to drive around with four point harnesses? | FerrariChat

Is it safe to drive around with four point harnesses?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Zed82, Mar 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
  2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

From a technical POV, I tried it once and would NEVER do it again. Modern three-point restraint systems allow upper body range of motion that is totally restricted in four-point restraint system. Leaning-in or to the side to look around an A pillar or gain a wider view from an outside mirror becomes virtually impossible. We take for granted such allowance when using standard restraint systems. IMO ..... don't do it; four-point restraint systems are intended for track use and should only be used accordingly. I'm sure others will chime in and speak to appearance related issues.

3. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Some 4 point harness allow for upper body movements. Essentially works like 3 point harness with 2 pretensioners ... i agree that it is not ideal though.

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I think something like this would be the only safe four point harness, no?

I've been in cars with aftermarket harnesses (without pretensioners) and was very uncomfortable from both a safety and comfort aspect. Sure my torso was kept firmly planted to the seat but I had visions of my neck snapping in any kind of collision.

5. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Three point is safest for street use, unless you want to use your head and neck as rollover support.

6. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just saw this new thread. I won’t repeat what I posted in the other, but on top of my position posted there, this is an extremely good point I hadn’t mentioned. If you’re in an open top car, or one without strong rollover support.... yikes.

7. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Actually, the racing harness should only be used when you have the rest of race gear on (helmet with head restraint)

Why? because your regular 3-point belt and air bag are teamed to work together for the "first impact" (no good for multiple impacts, it is only designed to handle one hard impact)

If you use a racing harness without helmet and head restraint then and if you are in an impact your body will "stay in place" but your head and neck will not and you'll likely be out of airbag range because your body will not move as it will with a 3-point so you can get a basal skull fracture and that's not good (your head tries to pull your spine out of your back).

So, consider that...

Wikdstrate likes this.
  8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I posted this before: In the 60s, knew a young guy had a TR-4. Was driving a little fast and the car spun out on a corner and up an embankment and flipped upside down! The Triumph swivel rigid passenger seat jammed up under windshield post and saved his neck. Passers buy helped him flip the car over on its wheels, he checked the oil and drove it home. He was un-hurt! Very Lucky!!

9. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Does anybody know which Schroth harnesses fit the F430?

10. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    First define "safe". If, by that, it's intended to convey some equivalence with modern street systems (and they are systems, each component designed to work in conjunction with the others), then, no, a set of track-optimized belts (and one should only utilize 5- or 6-point harnesses, never four - submarining is no joke) employed without a Hans or similar head/neck restraint will not provide the same degree of safety.

That said, I'd trust a properly installed 5- or 6-point harness used in combination, as intended, with a Hans device, over any sort of 3-point, inertial reel belt (they're not true harnesses in the traditional sense of the term). Whether such a setup's necessarily restricted mobility yields the necessary visibility on the street is a function of the specific car, driver dimensions, and other such factors. Without the Hans, forget about it - nothing good will result from trusting a partial restraint configuration.

As much as I love racing harnesses, they're not the right tool for most instances on the street.

11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I ride a motor bike. Any safety feature is an upgrade including roll cage :)

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    its not a good idea.
    i tried it for a couple weeks when i dailied the CS, but it was kinda dangerous.

you also dont want to drive a car with a roll cage as a daily - unless you plan on wearing a helmet to the office !

ago car nut likes this.
  13. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Thiese safety issues are not good news for all the CS owners!

My friend has one and he complains that it's very hard to move around like you can with a 3-point belt. Try to reach for the glove box? Not happening.

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well all that being said, driving around from A to A, or to and from some specific destination is fine with the harness - i drive the f40 like that too.
    its just not great in town traffic, or errands etc.