is it true? about a 1962 GTO | FerrariChat

is it true? about a 1962 GTO

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by urraco, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    I remember an auction in the early 90s ( a little after Il Commendatore's death) they sold a GTO for 10 Million, was that possible? or I just alucinate? if so then... what has been the history's most expensive ferrari? it comes to my memory because here in my town I just saw one 1962 GTO and obviously nobody believed when I told about that auction. So tell me what is the worth of one of those cars? ( I took a picture but not scanned yet) what is hte highest price paid for any ferrari? and BTW waht is the deal with all those sixties 250 cars such as Le Mans, Sebring the Breadvan and the forementioned GTO. was that a class/ family? what class that evolved into? I hope you connosieurs reply.

2. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    they say only 39 were ever built ( well one of them was here in a local mex. shop) I guess it could belong to Lorenzo Zambrano a famous F- mexican collector

3. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    #3 urraco, Mar 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I believe that was the highest price paid for a Ferrari ever. I believe it may have even been 10 million pounds or around 15 million dollars at the time. I also believe that it was sold to a Japanese collector.

Edit: to answer your question about the 250 series, there was a standard 250 engine, I believe, that had a very long life and was used in a number of different models. The 250 Lusso was sort of a luxury version with less horsepower than the 250 short wheelbase. A long wheelbase "tour de france" model was made, as were the GTOs, 250LMs - the list goes on. The engine was used and/or slightly modified for the purpose of whatever races Enzo wanted to enter them in, depending on what the requirements were for that race series. The GTO is so expensive because of rarity and because of their success on the track. (And beauty!)

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    If I recall correctly (Wayne, please!), the highest price ever paid for a GTO was 17MM, to a guy who was looking to flip it for 22MM. The deal failed to materialize, and he was stuck with the car, eventually selling it for a near 11MM loss.

If I am correct again, that very same car is now owned by a local here, John Mozart, who paid 4? I was invited to Pebble by him and a mutual friend but didn't go, and apparently he had bought the car right aruond then. Stupid me, I only realized the importance later on.

--Dan

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Dan, you're right so far...

...but this part is wrong. Mozart's car is 3909GT, which holds the record for bringing in the second largest price ever paid for a Ferrari, £10,000,00 ($13,837,500 at the time) from Takeo Kato in 1989.

The $17,000,000 car wasn't even a real GTO. It was 400 Superamerica s/n 4561SA, one of the so-called "330 GTOs."

As far as I know, these are the two highest prices ever paid for an automobile, eclipsing the $10,000,000 reportedly paid for a Bugatti Royale around the same time.

7. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
  8. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    #8 Scuderia CC, Mar 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    In July 1990 Edgar Bensoussan of "British Motors" in Paris, carried out the highest sale to date. Indeed on this date it makes buy with another French collector (Jacky Setton) Mercedes-Benz W196 #000 06 who gained the GP of Germany and the GP of Switzerland with Fangio at the wheel in 1954. It makes buy this car $20,000,000. Since Jacky Setton in resold its W196 #000 06 with the German collectionor Friedhelm Loh who has it always to date.

9. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
    And just to add to this thread here are some recent photos taken at Cavallino of Mozart's 3909 . . .

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Thanks. I did have the honor of seeing this car in person at Pebble Beach several years ago, but had no idea that I was looking at the most expensive car in the world.

11. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Indeed it was in Pebble Beach in 1999 and also at the Grand Prix Historique of Monaco in 2000. The Silver Arrows that they are the models of before war W25, W125, W154, W165 or after war W196 or the 300 SLR 1955 make undoubtedly party of the most expensive cars. If it were necessary to make a list of this range of price, one should not forget Bugatti Type 57 SC Atlantic which for much dimension between $15,000,000 and $20,000,000 !!!!

Pics of the Mercedes-Benz W196 #000 06 at Pebble Beach 1999 : http://membres.lycos.fr/scuderiacc/MPics/W196-pb99.jpg

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Isn't it true that there were so many "250" Ferraris because the road racing regulations for so long had a 3 litter limit?

13. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

You've left yourself WIDE open in this one, Rob. Just a friendly warning <g>

14. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    I'm surprised to read on this thread that the Mercedes W 196 was purchased for $20 mil and therefore was the highest price paid for a car.
    Recently, I was reading the 1956 Annual Automobile Review and found a picture of the 1954 W 196 R . It's race debut was on July 4th 1954. The impact was very significant in terms of race technology. But I think that the impact or influence on coachwork can be seen immediately after the debut in terms of the Pinin Farina body designs after July 1954. Mercedes shook up the race and world - but also seemed to be a creative catalyst for Pininfarina. Some of the best Pininfarina work was done immediatly after July 1954 . I dont think it was a coincident. Competition is a great catalyst -- even for artists.

15. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

16. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

In the mid-1950s, there were many different racing classes and Ferrari competed in other classes besides those that limited displacement to 3 liters.

I think that the 3L engine just happened to be the engine in production at a time when Ferrari and his core of carrozzeria became clearly established as a design and racing force of substance. As long as the 3L engine was competitive and people kept racing and buying them, there was little need to increase displacement. With continued improvements, the 3L engine went from 220 hp in the early Boanos to 300+ hp in the 250 GTO. That's 100 hp per liter...impressive even today.

The introduction in 1956 of a "mass produced" Ferrari, the 250 GT Boano, meant that Ferrari cars were becoming available to a larger group of people than just royalty and racers. In varying forms, the 3L engine was very competive for several years in the various classes in which it was allowed.

As always, Mr. Phelps, if you or your Ferrari History Force are captured, the factory will disavow any knowledge of the accuracy of your statements.

17. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    after reading FORZA's GTO daily driver story about chassis #3851
    considering the fact of that car kept with the same owner who paid $3,500 for it. and has never agreed to sell it.
    I wonder how many out of the 39 GTO have changed hands since the late 80's boom?
    and how many have been with the same owners prior to their astronomical increase value?
    anyone know how much they were before the boom?

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I believe there have been around 30 250 GTO transaction since 3909 in 1989.
    Pricing:
    Late 80s they were 2-4 million. Then, all of a sudden, they jumped over ten and the big s/n 3909 deal happened. By 1992 they were back in the 4-5 million range, where they stayed until 1998, when prices started to climb again. They are now once again changing hands for over 10 million. (And certain Ferraris - not just GTOs - are rumored to be changing hands and/or valued above 3909's 1989 "record.") The market for vintage Ferraris is very strong.