Is Portofino a family car? | FerrariChat

Is Portofino a family car?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by PB033, Aug 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PB033

PB033 Karting

Dec 13, 2019
    Switzerland
    I'm currently driving a 458 Italia, which is fantastic. The only downside is that I never get to enjoy the car with my 1 year old son and my wife. Therefore, I started looking into a Portofino. I'm pretty sure, it will be a bit less sporty and less emotional than the 458, but I was wondering if you can use it as a family car. Meaning I would put my son on the backseats. Has anyone got experience using it with kids?

Sent from my BBF100-6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Backseats in any cab is pretty much useless above 30 mph due to wind

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hi...I think there are a few recent threads on trying to find car seats that fit the Porto. My take away was finding appropriate car seats was a bit of a chore...T

4. Cali T HS

Cali T HS Rookie

Sep 12, 2020
    Zurich Switzerland
    The AMG s63 convertible is a true family car. Except for the RR the only convertible with fully usable backseats, roof closed or open.

anunakki likes this.
  5. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Maserati GranCabrio is also an option?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  6. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    You can definitely fit four normal sized people in the previous generation Gran Turismo Convertible. It's about a foot longer than the Portofino M. No idea if the announced, but not yet seen, new Gran Turismo will have the same space.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki likes this.
  7. Cali T HS

Cali T HS Rookie

Sep 12, 2020
    Zurich Switzerland
    Mercedes unique air-cap makes backseats usable even at 50-60mph.

695 likes this.
  8. PB033

PB033 Karting

Dec 13, 2019
    Switzerland
    Cheers guys. So far it seems a Portofino may not be ideal. Also thought about a Roma, but will probably be similar, if not smaller.

A Maserati is currently no option. I'm loyal to Ferrari

Thomas S. and 695 like this.
  9. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Porto is an excellent GT, user friendly coupe or convertible in one. Back seat is usable for kids.
    Also has similar Fiorano lap times to your 458 when you need it, best of both worlds.
    Test drive is the best way to decide if it works for you.

PB033 likes this.
  10. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    I bought a new Cali over a 458 especially so I could enjoy it with my wife and 2 boys. For me the back seat are fine once a child is about 3 or 4 years old. 1 year old is a little young but my wife is petit so she sat in the back when the boys grew a bit. I'd wait a year with your 458 (nice car) and then change over to a Porto.

stretchgeneral and PB033 like this.
  11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Have you considered the FF or Lusso? I have an FF exactly for family use and daily driving. Kids, golf clubs, luggage, etc all fit nicely in the back and even tall adults fit comfortably in the back seats, moreso than say the Cali (in case you need to drive your in-laws around.
    You mention a good point about emotion… the FF doesn’t stimulate near the amount of adrenaline as say a Speciale or TDF, but it does possess the last of the NA V12 symphony (of which I opened up with Kline 200 cell cats, Novitec X pipe and exhaust).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pedronz, tomc and 695 like this.
  12. PB033

PB033 Karting

Dec 13, 2019
    Switzerland
    I haven't considered FF or Lusso for the reasons you're mentioning. My 458 is my weekend car and the successor will be the same. I believe a Lusso would be more of a daily driver.
    In terms of space, I absolutely agree with you. There's nothing better than a Lusso or FF in the Ferrari universe.

13. NJPortofino

NJPortofino Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    D T
    #13 NJPortofino, Aug 7, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    I have 5 kids (ages 4 to 11) and a Portofino and also a 992 TTS Cab .... both are just fine for kids, and they love it because the cars are awesome. Before I say the rest, a car seat for a 1 year old will be a tight fit .... mine are all in boosters, although we do have a Graco seat back booster seat that fits nicely in both for smaller kids.

More generally though, if you’re worried about your kids’ comfort, get a minivan. If you want to have an awesome time driving with your kids, get the Portofino and spend no more time worrying about it. All this nonsense about comfort and space and knees etc is all nonsense unless you’re coddling you’re kids.

Thomas S., plastique999 and tomc like this.
  14. PB033

PB033 Karting

Dec 13, 2019
    Switzerland
    Haha, I guess you're right I probably shouldn't worry too much. I will certainly test drive one and see, whether everyone's happy in it.
    And I certainly wasn't looking for a minivan.

15. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I wouldn’t call the Cali a family car, however, with the passenger seat slightly forward, and if your putting just one kid in back, it works well, even on a longer drive. I have even put 4 adults in mine for a short drive. Front seats forward and two very small adult women in the back.

16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wow beat me by 1!
    I second the minivan for daily family duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Oitbc

Oitbc Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    Phil Thomas
    I’m using a Cali as a daily driver. Fits me (5’9) wife (5’6), son (10 -4’8) and daughter (14-5’3) in it fine. They’re happy with roof down and windows up at motorway speeds (70mph) and even with the roof down we fitted in 4 towels, 3 wetsuits and 2 dry robes (dryrobes are massive) in the boot to go wakeboarding the other day.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc, Cali T HS, SLViper1 and 2 others like this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What about a Lusso do you think makes it more of a daily? The Porto and Cali T are no less soft or more sporty. In fact, the T shares suspension with the Lusso and the Porto is equally soft.

They have very similar steering feel, but the Porto is a bit more vague compared to the Lusso. This is mainly because the more flexible chassis of the Porto màkes it less direct. On top of that you have the RWS which makes the Lusso feel a bit more agile and the V12 is a lot more responsive.

The FF is interesting. It is set up much stiffer in the suspension compared to a Lusso and Porto. Of the Ferrari GT cars, the FF is definitely the one which is the most tactile and sporty feeling. Even a 458 and 488 feels softer dampened at times. If you want a GT that has some of the tactile rawness of the mid engined cars, the FF is hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

PB033 likes this.
  19. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I was given a used Lusso T by the Lamborghini dealer as a loner once when my Huracan was being serviced. I had it for a week. I never would have considered a V8 Lusso, but it turns out, I loved it. It was plenty quick and would make a great DD. Great Ferrari.

PB033 likes this.
  20. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I am 5'11". With the seat in my Portofino adjusted to where I am comfortable,only a very small human could sit behind me. The Portofino (and the Californias) are not four-passenger cars.

21. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
  22. PB033

PB033 Karting

Dec 13, 2019
    Switzerland
    I think it's more about the design and the look that makes a Lusso for me a daily driver. It certainly isn't about the sound or the power. I'm sure it's an incredible car and will perhaps at some point in the future be in my garage.
    Prior to that however, I keep looking for a weekend car, which ideally has some space for my wife and son.

23. PB033

PB033 Karting

Dec 13, 2019
    Switzerland
  24. Flunati

Flunati Rookie

Sep 1, 2021
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Lunati
    I just picked up a 2016 California T... I have a 6 and 9 year old that fit fine in the back seat... if your front passenger isn't tall, you will have no problem. Just move that seat a bit forward and your good!!

PB033 likes this.
  25. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was just thinking about the roll bars in the back, I guess as a minimum you have to make sure that the backseat passengers do not sit to high or they the roll bars will hit them in the back of the head in the unlikely case that you should roll the car?