Is the 360 disintegrating precat problem inevitable? | FerrariChat

Is the 360 disintegrating precat problem inevitable?

Discussion in '360/430' started by artsd, Jul 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    Is the 360 disintegrating precat problem inevitable given enough mileage or hard driving?
    Will a typical PPI find evidence of the precat problem?
    Should a 360 owner replace the headers just to be safe?

I am looking at a 2000 360 with 40,000 miles so I am a little worried given the miles. It is going into the dealer for a PPI soon (they allocate 2 to 2.5 hours). The PPI doesn't include a leak down/compression test unless I want to pay another $500. They will call me during the PPI if they think it warrants the leak down test. I am only mentioning that last part because I saw that one way to detect the precat problem was by examining the inside top of the cylinder for the ingested junk, but I am not sure they pull the plugs during the normal PPI.

2. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    My hunch is that it will eventually occur regardless of driving style.
    I also don’t see how you find that with a comp/ leak down test?
    And if they’re already coming apart, I think you’d get indications.

My Spider started getting a CEL light and failed smog.
    Luckily, I didn’t ignore the symptoms and had it borescoped right away.
    Found about a dozen cells missing.

3. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks for the feedback. I didn’t mean to imply that the leak down test would expose the problem, only that the leak down test meant the plugs were out and so they could get a look inside with a borescope. When you said borescope, did you mean of cylinder or in exhaust?

4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I think you are worrying too much, the f430 is way too much prone to ingest precat material than the 360 because the precat is located way closer to the engine than the 360.

When the precat material begins desintegrating it will make a rattling sound when cold start, before the heat expands the material and it will stop.
    How can you go borescope through the exhaust to see the precat if you have the main cats before that??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks ferralc. I assumed the header was separated from the main cat pipe and the scope could look in the non-engine end of the header.

And yes, I am probably worrying too much. I am a worrier by nature and I am looking for my first Ferrari now so I am trying to imagine everything that can go wrong. Only other sports car I ever had experience with are my 1986 911 and my dad's 1986 944 Turbo. The Ferrari would be my most expensive fragile toy. :)

6. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    The latter. I'll try and post pictures later. Since it was so few cells and such small pieces, there was no rattling sound on start up.

I don't think you're worrying too much. The car is 18 years old now. I prefer to think of it as risk management: being well informed and prepared....

7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    First thing I did with my 430 was get rid of the pre cats. Would have done the same with my old 360 but it was euro and had none. I would factor in new headers if it were me.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I suspect some of it is because of occasional faulty coils, which leads to dumping of fuel into the header and burning of the fuel there vs. in the cylinder. Not sure if why vibration might be cause of disintegration...

9. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Yes

Inevitable

10. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    430 even more so

11. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thank you all for you responses. Consensus seems to be that every 360 and 430 will suffer from disintegrating precat eventually. Only debate is whether replacing headers should be done before or after evidence mounts. I guess that is up to each person’s risk tolerances.

whatheheck likes this.
  12. Dano360NC

Dano360NC Karting

Aug 11, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    My first 360 had the precast let loose and it was noticeable and noisy. They may not always be that noisy I suppose, but there was no doubt I had a problem. At the time, I was at a FCA event with a group on a “spirited” ride in the hills in western NC. I was driving hard on somewhat rough roads. Replaced with Fabspeed headers and took the opportunity to upgrade to the factory racing exhaust. Loved the change for sound and performance noticeably improved. So, it costs money, but for peace of mind and possibly performance improvement, it is worth considering.

13. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    In a word YES, same as the complete lies peddled on the F430 OEM manifolds, yes they break at the welds, so weld em back up again!, nothing to do with the preCATS.
    In three & a half years for trying I never got a shred of evidence in picture form of a preCAT failure or ingested bits causing piston damage. All talk, and we all know talk is cheap!!

cladd2000 and TheCook like this.
  14. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Thats not true, the rattle when cold is the broken weld, NOT the preCAT, I should know, I had it happen. Again nothing to do with preCATS

TheCook likes this.
  15. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Precat material can/will get sucked back into the cylinder (when they start to fail), and since it’s ceramic material it will damage the cylinder and/or the piston. That’s why a boroscope is used (via spark plug hole).

16. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Rifledriver once commented that he had never seen a precat fail in a correctly running car....implying that if you maintain the car and address misfires and other issues right away it would be a rare occurance .......
    So based on that, inevitable failure is probably not accurate.

Skippr1999 and dvb247 like this.
  17. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Man relax the headers will make a “pop corn” noise way before it becomes an issue. It happened to me I actually posted a video a while ago but here it is again
    Cold start noise

And the precat inside loose (as you can see the precat is almost perfect it becomes loose and makes the noise at cold start then it expands due to heat and the noise is gone)

cre_man and Mimmo Blue like this.
  18. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Please see my post above

19. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    That’s along the lines of what I’ve heard from the shop I go to, they say the precats will all eventually have problems, but that you’ll start getting noises well before you start ingesting material into the engine.

dvb247 likes this.
  20. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Think we all agree, expansion/ contraction stress and preCAT failure are 2 completely separate issue, neither serious if addressed between annual servicing.
    If it was a major issue Ferrari would be forced to recall F430 or have a queue down the road of F430’s at every dealer, not a good look when trying to sell the latest model.
    It’s all so over egged it’s pathetic

21. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you, Fernando. Very helpful!

22. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Fernando: In your second video, how did you get access to the pre-cat? (Sorry if this is obvious, but I can't tell from the video.) I have heard others mention a boroscope, but you seem to be wiggling the precut with a pointer, so I assume you have used some other method.

Thanks!

23. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Well that was actually AFTER removing the original headers from my car.
    When I started having the “pop corn noise” the mechanic pinpointed to the headers so I just installed Fabspeed headers.
    You could hollow the original headers too (instead of going the aftermarket route)

Bob in Makiki likes this.