Is the 918 going to hold its value? | FerrariChat

Is the 918 going to hold its value?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by F430 Driver, Oct 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Considering ordering a 918 but have reservations about whether it is likely to hold its value, depreciate rapidly or even possibly appreciate. Anybody have thoughts on where the market is likely to head on the 918?

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    It's no Enzo,or LaFerrari.
    Look at Carrera GT and you have you most likely answer,depreciation about 30% and then stable prices for a long while.....

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    this.

x-factor will be the production run; I think they are planning on fewer 918s than CGTs.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Will be similar but worse than cgt due to hybrid tech getting outdated over time. 911 will have better hybrid system in 5 yrs

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    CGT was also a 4xxk car so the market is that much bigger. This will be a $1M when all said and done. Much more to drop from and much smaller pool of buyers.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    a base 991 C4 has a much better AWD system than a 959, which will be worth more in 10 years? :)

7. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Some have told me if I wait 2 or 3 years the car could drop 30%. If this is the case I could pick one up for 650k instead of 950k. Take the 300k saved and pickup a 458!

Do you think 30% drop in a few years is the likely target as many have suggested to me?

I also considered a P1 but if it does the same and drops 30% in a few years at 1.3M that is an even bigger hit.

If this is the case the only safe super car you can buy that will not only hold value but appreciate is the LaFerrari

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

New, maybe, but not if you include used cars...

9. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Correct! I did mean for new supercars (primarily 918, P1 and LaFerrari0 I should have qualified my statement as such. You can definitely see appreciation in many used (or as I saw recently "pre-enjoyed" cars)

10. envytheZ06

envytheZ06 Karting

Sep 11, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    I would stay far away from the 918 if you don't want to lose a good amount of money. With Porsche producing 918 of them compared to P1 375 and La Ferrari 499 I don't see the 918 being the same level of exclusiveness. I have also been invited by Porsche to purchase the 918 and politely declined interest. They still send information and occasionally call on the car which tells me that all of the cars still are not sold. If you are looking for a car to appreciate I think there are a lot better options out there, just look at CGT's and Ford GT's over the past three years!

11. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I dont think the P1 will lose value, at least not 30%. They are making only 375 of them. And the US will get how many? Maybe 100. Maybe less. And once they are all sold, anyone wanting a P1 in the US will have to do with these 100 cars for the next 25 years.

12. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Buy it because you like it first and then worry about the appreciation/depreciation, etc

13. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    It is anyone's guess for sure. I've read quite a bit in the last week on all the forums as well as spoke to many who have bought/sold more exotics than I have. The consensus seems to be that the P1 will not be immune to some healthy depreciation.

Yes there are only 375 being made and the USA may get 100 or maybe 200 when all is said and done. I think they will allocate cars wherever they can sell them. Not sure how many are left but while LaFerrari sold out and you can't beg or give your first born to get one you can still get a P1 or 918 (and probably a dozen if you wanted more). For some reason these are tough price points for anything that isn't Ferrari.

It goes to show the brand power for Ferrari over these other two brands (and that says alot because Porsche and Mclaren are both incredible brands on their own that each make amazing cars).

The fact that they have not sold out and all hit the current MSRP bid is a clue to me that we will probably see some heavy depreciation on the P1 and 918. It's just like an IPO. If you can get as much as you want be rest assured when it starts trading the direction will be down. You want the IPO's that you either cannot get any of or just a small part of what you indicated interest for. Supply and demand...

I think if one waits they can get into either of these cars for a 30% discount in 3 years plus or minus

14. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    No, of course not.
    is timeless styling? No
    will it be easy to maintain in the future? No
    will they improve the engineering? Yes
    The value of a used one will fall like a rock when the next evolution of it comes out.

15. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Interesting thread. No one here predicted the 918 or p1 to almost double in value

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I eat my words, could not be more wrong.
    But then, being the guy who sold his CGT for $400k just before the big jump.....

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    True, but I don't think most people expected as much asset-price inflation across the board (RE, stocks, and collectibles) after the trillions of dollars of quantitative easing was finally stopped (and no one knew really when it would stop).

18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Do they sell at >$1.5m?

19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I wonder the same thing. And do P1's sell at $2mm+? Seems silly when the 720S is an objectively better car with similar performance. Albeit with less drama.

20. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I think 918s are around $1m today.

21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There is a great spec listed at a dealer in Cle for $2.2mm! I wonder what they actually expect to sell it for.

22. LNtoast

LNtoast Karting

Jul 11, 2013
  23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not even a Weissach spec. Absolutely crazy price these are going for. Especially when you consider in the next two years cars will be just as quick or quicker for 20% of that price or less.

24. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Find me a nice example for $1M and I'll buy it. Not even close.

25. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    What is the basis of that opinion?