is the bubble due to burst? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

is the bubble due to burst?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PFSEX, Jan 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    how much of a price is bubble, how much of it is related to inflation, and how much of a price goes into a collector's premium ? We are facing $5 gasoline, when it was $.30 before the initial fuel shortage of the 1970's. Ferrari was a approx a $10,000 +/- car new from the Enzo era, now is a $200,000 + car new... gold was approx $40 an ounce now it's approx $1600... 330 GTC for approx $10,000 new, now $800,000... notice the realtionships... the ratio's are not that far apart... current average pricing seems to be very close in value to historical pricing, allowing for some collector appreciation for scarcity, which doesn't leave much room for a significant bubble premium. We will not get back to $.30 gasoline or $40 gold or $ 10,000 new Ferrari... if one has the resources...buy your favorite...agreed the numbers are high, but the value is close to where it was back in the day... what's a few extra dollars for something that is desired / appreciated.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    When you look at the prices achieved by tye micro car collec5ion this week, you have to stop and wonder if we havent passed the point of no return.

Some of these micro machines sold for 100/200/300k..

Classic Driver - MAGAZINE - auctions

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    When people start asking if its a bubble, chances are it is.

4. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    I thought the premise here was restricted to Ferrari... if one includes "Detroit iron" and other cars that were massed produced, then I would be concerned that the market definitely has gotten ahead of itself... there is an entire industry centered on supplying replacement parts for restoration, one probably can actually build a new car from replacement parts alone... that market is definitely hot and wide in scope with a lot of restoration shops building cars for big profits...the sheer number of cars being "restored" makes one wonder what the absorption rate will be once the current crop of collectors moves on... there definitely could be some excess supply of these cars in the future allowing for price degradation...for now nostalgia and novelty rules

5. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Some times when we make exceptions and give explanations its ourselves we're trying to convince.

6. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    This thread should really only be limited to Ferrari. Ferrari's played by different rules in the last bubble and play be different rules again in this shall we call "frothy" period?

The "Detroit iron", at least muscle car (Hemi, Shelby, etc.) popped in 2007 and have not recovered. Remember 7 figure hemi cuda' convertables or the $4MM GM Futurliner?

7. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    That used to be true, but these days there is a bubble in bubbles.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Iirc, a cuda conv sold for 1.5m recently.

9. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Andrew if you were a midget you would not be talking this way. You'd think the prices are right on!

10. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #110 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Minicars Attract Mega Interest at RM's Record-Setting Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum Sale...

RM Auctions – The Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum top 12 sales:

1. 1958 F.M.R Tg 500 “Tiger” - $322,000

2. 1951 Reyonnah - $184,000

1958 Goggomobil TL-400 Transporter “PEZ” - $172,500
    4. 1955 Inter 175A Berline - $161,000

5. 1959 Goggomobil TL-400 Transporter Pickup “Coca-Cola” - $138,000

6. 1963 Goggomobil TL-250 Transporter “Dubble Bubble” - $132,250

7. 1955 Fuji Cabin - $126,500

8. 1964 Peel P50 - $120,750

9. 1955 Messerschmitt KR 200 “Vic Hyde” - $115,000

10. 1957 Messerschmitt KR 201 Roadster - $103,500

11. 1966 Peel Trident - $103, 500

12. 1957 Jurisch Motoplan Prototype - $103,500
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    And, certainly, if I find out about it, it has been around for a while.

12. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    If you ask yourself "can I get
    a second mortgage to buy one
    of these ?"

than yes, it's a bubble !

13. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    I can only hope, then maybe I'll have a chance to purchase the Lusso I've always wanted!

14. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007

They were selling bubble cars,,no wonder the results!!

15. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The Time magazine cover syndrome. Once a fad hits Time it's all ready over.

16. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    The fact that dealers are buying cars, holding them for a short period, and then selling them to other dealers (for a mark-up) is telling. When those speculators no longer have the ability to flip the cars after a short holding period for a significant profit, they will exit the market and a significant portion of the buy-side interest in these cars will evaporate, taking the market down with it. It happened in real estate and it will happen with collector cars.

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I personally don't know of any of my friends kids with posters of cars on their walls. Seems to be mostly video game characters. There is also a stat out there, where kids don't really seem that keen on driving either.

When I was a kid, I had the countach posters, testarosssa posters, build the model cars, and rode my bike down to the local dealer.

Old cars are viewed as just that...old cars nothing more. When I say such and such a car is worth 1 million, they look at me and say "so what, I would never pay that, I'll buy a Bugatti Veyron instead.

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    As people with taste mature and become more refined their tastes mature and broaden with them. :)

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    And there in lies the problem. No taste. It's the latest and greatest or nothing. They all want the newest thing out there.

20. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Careful with generalizations.

Some in my generation (and below) are quite fond of the classics, and a few will even be able to afford them in the future.

Not that many of us have to like them, as there are not that many of these cars out there.....

(though I do hope prices go down...perhaps I should pretend to be like the kids you describe.... maybe it's a conspiracy by all of us to get prices down...)

21. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I was the same way as a kid. But, while I understood that the old cars were nice, anything older than a Daytona, I thought was too old for me, at the time.

My kids enjoy the classics at the Great Falls cars and coffee, but they get fired up over the newer exotics. At age 4 and 7, I think they are on the right track.

But I do think there is a bubble that is about to pop, or at least hit its over fill valve and bleed off a bit soon.

22. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Obviously the people that are still buying up big dont believe there is a bubble. There seems to be a lot of people in that category. I guess they also do not read the papers or car magazines. Makes you wonder.

23. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Mind you there are always some so called bargains still in the Ferrari world.

24. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't like generalizations, but there is some truth to this. My 13-year-old son is really into cars. At this point, he knows cars better than me. Among his friends, not one of them is into cars at all. He has a great driving seat setup for playing GT5 on the PS3 and his friends are never interested in even trying it -- they would all rather play shooting games.

25. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria