Is this a common problem with 308's? | FerrariChat

Is this a common problem with 308's?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by flashman, Feb 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Here is a question for you all. Is it a common problem to have the rolled pan that is connected to, or rather an extention of, the rocker panels, dented in by lifts used by service departments or basically anyone not acquainted with working on a 308. And, can they be repaired by one of those "paintless repair" company's?

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes it's common...repair should be done by a competent body shop.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yup, had it all straightened and refinished by a body man, when I was having the entire front of my 308 repainted to correct all the paint chips.

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Could you guys give a little more detail on exactly what part of the car we're talking about?

5. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Mike,
    The area is located under the rocker panel which starts behind the front tire wheel well, and ends at the begining of the wheel well in the rear. It usually is painted black, at least it is on mine. You have to look under the car to see it.
    WilliamR

6. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    It's really that common?

That is surprising - it would take a real hack shop to dent that up.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    GearHead,
    Some damage may be caused by techs not being careful when using a lift, but I believe it can also be caused by driving over a curb, or sharply angled driveway or parking garage entrance....stuff happens...there it was when I got my car, and it was a documented 15k miles "garage queen" so go figure. But was expertly repaired (straightened) and refinished by a body man.

8. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Were you able to have the repair done without having to repaint the entire rocker panel? The only part on my car that is dented , is the underside that is painted black and really cannot be seen unless you look under the car. The body color part is flawless and trying to match the paint would be almost impossible.
    WilliamR

9. SR Ferrari

SR Ferrari Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Flashman.
    It only takes one 4" speed Bump at 15mph.
    You have to be careful when racking the car on an asermetric lift as the best place to place the pad is on the frame behind the front wheel,but you have to be careful if you do not have the lift pad set outward of the frame it can slip inward this is why I always use a small block of wood on the lift pad and lift the rack barely to the point of the wheels off the ground and then check your set.
    On the front this damage will occur if you do not follow this proceedure.
    I,m glad you had a good guy fix it .
    Kind Regards
    Wayne Hynes.

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    If all that's bent is the pinch-weld, & area close to it, then all that s/b required is for the dent straightened out, the repaired area resprayed w/primer & body schutz ( textured chip guard), & then masked & resprayed black.

If the bend extends up into the color then It'll be very hard to repair it w/o doing some repainting.

Good news is that with computorized color matching almost any color can be invisibly matched & touched up.

11. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    The area that is dented is located above the pinch-weld and not near the body color painted area. You really can only see it when you are looking under the car. I contacted a local shop that was recommended by the FOC of AZ. They assured me that it was a rather common and easy to fix problem. Thanks to you and everyone else that replied to my thread for the comments and good advice. Hope this helps others with the same situation.
    Regards,
    WilliamR

12. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    Oh yeah, its common! Its a difficult area to see. I, embarassingly enough, did not notice damage like that to mine until I brought it home from the dealer after the purchase. I did inspect the car when it was up in the air at the dealer, yet the arms of the two post lift might have obscured the view of this area. Nonetheless, I'm not sure if it happened during life with the previous owner, or a careless drive during the dealer life during service shuffles.

After noticing it, I made an appointment a local shop repair the area as well as the jack points on both sides of the car. While leaving a parking space before the repair, my son saved my butt, alerting me to a low curb I almost crossed over!

The seating position is such that it's easy to do! You just can see those low curbs...you have to be situationally aware, or muster up those $800-$1200 repair bills!

13. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    I have a bit of this damage at the pinch weld too, but mine shows the edges of some kind of braided wire beneath the weld. Anyone know what that is?