Is this a high price for headliner and dash? | FerrariChat

Is this a high price for headliner and dash?

Discussion in '612/599' started by icelander47, Jun 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. icelander47

icelander47 Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Total cost of 6800 for dash and headliner. Does that seem high? Labor was 5800 parts were 1000

2. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Did you actually replace the headliner or just have it reglued? I have never heard of anyone actually having shrinkage problems and having to replace their headliner. If if was just reglued then the price is probably high.

3. icelander47

icelander47 Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Headliner was replaced including the foam. The foam was starting to fail

4. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Well then that’s a lot of leather and a lot of work. So maybe fair. I got my dash, steering wheel, and 4 leather floor mats replaced and the headliner reglued at the rear window for something around $5K if i remember correct.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds reasonable to me.

Anthony James likes this.
  6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hard to tell as we don't know where you live and what 6,800 currancy is. But if in the US it seems reasonable since taking the dash in/out is really a pain. Usually the folks who do really good leather work are certainly not shy about their labor charges but if they do good work it is worth it IMO. As a mechanic once told me in my younger days when money was really dear to me "Play Porsche pay Porsche" it is double or triple true of anything Ferarri. :D

7. icelander47

icelander47 Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Just got it back from Escondido Custom Upholstery. Oscar did an awesome job. Dash and headliner look awesome

8. Mckie5150

Mckie5150 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2014
    Humble TX
    The headliner on my 2006 612 started to detach in 2017. It was removed and the glue was cleaned from the roof. New padding was installed and the original leather was replaced. Cost - $750. Looks great.

9. Kiwi599

Kiwi599 Rookie

Mar 6, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ian
    #9 Kiwi599, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    I replaced my own headliner with dark grey Alcantara. Very easy to do and looks way better than the metallic silver material it replaces, as well as matching the back of the seats. Alcantara is a thicker material and doesn’t have or need the foam backing of the original material. Which is what causes the initial fault. You literally just glue the new Alcantara up in place of the old material, it’s a straight swap. Here’s how to do it.

Pull the old headliner away and scrub the roof to remove the old glue/foam residue that’s left behind. Make sure to vacuum it direct off the roof as its sticky and can make a mess if you allow it to drop on the carpet and seats. It’s the foam that’s broken down, not the glue. This means the material separates from the roof.

Loosen and undo the screws holding the trim around the headlining. Visors loosen with 3 screws each. No need to remove leather trim, just pull it down slightly.
    Remove the interior light and the 4 screws that are easily visible inside. This allows the trickiest bit of trim to come away from the roof easily.
    Pull the rubber door trims back and loosen the 4 screws around each door frame. They are in between the door frame and leather side trim.
    Loosen the back 4 screws in the roof behind the seats where the coat hooks are.

Pull everything down about 10mm, this is enough space.

Taking the old cloth liner and use it as a template to cut the new one, then discard. You can cut it a bit bigger if you want, it fits easy with loads of space.

Mask the leather around the headliner and spray contact adhesive on the roof, careful not to go to close to the edge, however you’ll be surprised how close you can get. Spray your new headliner making sure you go right to the edge on that, and wait approximately 3-5 mins.

Get another person to help you line up the new headliner and spread it easily out to each edge of the trim which is pulled back. Start with the middle and do each edge separately last of all.

With a plastic panel removal tool, carefully push the new material under the pulled down trim. It will contact and stay as you do it. It won’t stick to the masking tape, and in some areas take off the tape before you push it behind.

Once it’s all in place retighten all the screws and put the interior light back in place.

The whole job is easy and less than 1 hour start to finish. Don’t be scared. I was quoted $600 and it cost less than $40 and was easy.

The dash is a whole other story.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Vybo and Modena_2003 like this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The headliner is the easy part, dash removal and recovering is the tough nut