Iso based Nembo II strale that sold at RM 2010 | FerrariChat

Iso based Nembo II strale that sold at RM 2010

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by HistoryBuff, Aug 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff Karting
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2013
    At first I thought this car , described and pictured here

1965 Strale Daytona 6000GT Prototype (Iso Daytona) | Sports & Classics of Monterey 2010 | RM AUCTIONS

was a car made lately in the last 20 years or so but then I saw the list of magazines it was pictured in during the Sixties and realized I had seen it in Road & Track, one black & white picture (hey I have only seen 200,000 car pictures since then) so now am willing to concede it was an "in period" car. But I never read of Iso producing it or that it was a factory prototype so think it is just some outside fan created it, someone who wanted to make cars that looked vaguely like it would if 250LMs were front engined. I amazed that RM got around the half million dollar price for a car with no "portfolio" to speak of. I think a fantasy of car collectors is to buy a factory prototype but what if it's a custom made by Joe Glutz around the corner who always wanted to be a car designer? Take the Motion-Performance Mantaray. It's just a custom car, worth about 1/500th of the value of the real Manta Ray GM show car.

Now all I am curious to know about the Strale (is that even Italian?) is who imported it from Europe and when, and what was the lowest price (in USD) it was kicking around for back in the '60s? '70s? '80s? before everything Italian and exotic went up whether it deserved it or not.

2. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Iso never produced it, It was a Rivolta chassis bodied by NEMBO.

3. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff Karting
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2013
    If you read the RM auction company description it says "Iso" and then later Prototype.
    I think it was a prototype only of the fellow who planned to build several of them. It was Iso-based but not an Iso factory prototype. And I would still have to see copies of the owner's brochure for the projected series and a photo of it at the auto show before I would consider it a prototype.

Otherwise it's nothing more than a custom car.

If Joe Glutz buys a Ferrari 458 and customizes it to suit his fancy, he can call it a prototype but it's just a rebodied Ferrari, not a Ferrari factory prototype.

Any opinions on that?

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Very beautiful car!

5. alaind

alaind Karting
    BANNED

Mar 29, 2013
    #5 alaind, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    #6 MRG22, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. mangiusta

mangiusta Rookie

May 30, 2014
    No Mr,
    their car is really and existing. It is the result of one of the many Italian coachbuilders of the '60s
    who have produced lots of unique prototypes or few examples