Issues with Regular Disconnection of Battery (355) | FerrariChat

Issues with Regular Disconnection of Battery (355)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ghost, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Guys,

I've just bought my 355 and am trying to learn as much about the mechanical aspects of her as I can. One thing I had question on was whether there are any medium/long-term effects of regularly disconnecting the battery after parking, by using the master "Disconnect Switch" on the front right side of the car. The reason I do this is (i) because I don't anticipate driving her very often and therefore don't want to wear down the battery, and (ii) the alarm is an after-market alarm that is overly sensitive and it's a hassle to always run to find the Fob to switch it off when it starts blaring.

Per the owners manual, I am aware of the fact that ECU needs to "relearn" the car when you reconnect the battery, and so I anticipate giving the car a good 8 - 10 minute warm-up whenever I start it her up, but was wondering if there is anything else I need to be wary of (or if continuous dis/connecting is harmful for the car in any other way).

Thanks in advance.

2. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I take it from what your saying your car is a 96 as after that ferrari out in their own alarm- which is not very good anyway!

anyway assuming that correct, it just means that if you use the main kill swirch that when you start up ( NOT touching the accelorator) you will have to let it idle for 15 mins so the ecus can learn.

I dont think there is anything wrong with that except I dont like strarting cars and just letting them idle for such a long time from cold. Why dont yoiu get a battery charger that works off the cig lighter and leave it on - thats what I do

3. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c

cig lighter charger is the way to go. simple to use, cheap to buy. boy, there's not much you can say that about in this game.

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    While what you suggest would be the preferred route were the car sitting alone and untouched in, say, a personal garage of mine, the realities of living in New York City are that the car has to be parked near other cars (even though those these are high-end as well). As a result, there is a decent amount of movement around the car, as the garage is under constant surveillance and, occasionally, cars get moved in and out. Because of this, the after-market car alarm, which as indicated above is very sensitive, is prone to going off. For this reason, it makes more sense for me to switch off the master disconnect switch (or the "main kill switch" as you put it 355f) when I lay the car to rest, in between drives.

Seems from what you guys are saying, other than walking the fine line between warming the car enough to let the ECUs "relearn" the car, but not too much so that it ends up running rich and deposits build up, there is not much other damage that one is doing. Admittedly, though, walking this fine line is a delicate task.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You could figure out which fuse is for the alarm and pull it out....

6. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    perhaps wire the kill switch into the ignition system. that way the car can be cranked but not started then dissconnect the alarm or wire it so you can switch it on and off.

7. simon.amazona

simon.amazona Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    London U.K.
    Full Name:
    Simon G
    I have a '97 355 spider which I don't use too often. It's parked in an underground garage where there isn't a power outlet to keep the car charged.

I therefore have bought a portable battery pack which connects to the cigar lighter in the car. I plug it in then turn off the car master battery switch in the front.

This therefore keeps the radio stations tuned, the ecu still 'connected' and the tracker live.

Its simple when I use the car to reconnect the battery. However I have to recharge the portable battery pack every 10 days or so.

Hope this helps

Simon

8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    That's an interesting solution Simon. Thanks. Any details/pics on your portable battery pack, since I have never used one before.

9. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've always been advised not to let the car idle much past a couple of minutes while I close the garage door etc. The ECU will relearn also by driving at 40mph or less for a few miles. Idling for a long while is never a good idea on a cold engine.

10. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks Ken, I actually didn't realize that the learning process could actually take place while the car was moving, at moderate speeds. I agree on the limiting the still-idling time.

Can somebody explain what actually happens in the ECU "relearning phase"? :confused: