IT Question | FerrariChat

IT Question

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Kds, Jul 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I'm not going to bother upgrading my IBM desktop for 2 more years as MS is coming out with a new OS that is supposed to replace windows during that time frame. Why blow the dough now I figure.

So....having W98 presently and needing more punch I have a disc of MS Office 2000 with all the programs I need and can run for my new business. Since my IT guy has gone for the weekend and I'd kind of like to use the next two days setting things up can anyone here help me by answering a few quick questions ?

Thanks in advance.

1-Can I install Office 2000 over W98 or do I need to delete W98 first ?

2- Is there anything else that I should be aware of when doing this which may complicate matters ?

2. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    Here's my 2 cents:

1. Win98 is your operating system, so there's no need to mess with it when you are installing Office 2000. Can't quite remember the system requirements for Office 2000. As long as Win98 is supported, you can install it.

2. Backup your data first, just to be safe.

3. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    The replacement of Windows has been delayed pretty much indefinately at this point. XP is a stable, easy to operate and reasonably secure platform. I don't see moving beyond XP/2003 server at my workplace until ~Q2 2008. The new Windows has some real radical changes that need a few years of production use before I will go near it.

1. You can install office 2k on a windows 98 machine with no trouble

2. RAM and hard drive space needs to be sufficent.

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

bubba.....

Thanks for the reply....I have sufficient space and memory, etc, to run it so looks like I am good to go. There was no booklet with the disc so I thought I would check and I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Oppie20.....

I hadn't heard it was shelved indefinitely. Interesting..........

If that's the case, I'll wait two years or so and then upgrade with XP (or whatever it's called then) and also get the latest box on the market at that time.....just before a new OS comes out....if it does.

Prices are bound to keep dropping.......especially on the flat screen thin monitors.

My sister in-law is the head IT person for a cellular company in Brasil and she is telling me to stay away from XP in it's present form, and a few people I know in business who have it here, wished they had stayed with W98. Thus my concern.

Thanks again to the both of you.

5. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    Kds, you are most welcome.

I guess the negative comments are because the users are not using XP with powerful enough PCs. I've been using XP since it came out, and I am a lot more happy with it than Win98. It's that much more stable. Of course, that's only if you are using it on a pretty beefy PC. The caveat to using XP is to have a powerful PC with a fast processor, ooogles of RAM and HD space.

But, then again, I use my PCs for a lot more than just web surfing, emails, spreadsheets, and word processing. If your primary uses are the 4 I mentioned above, then Win98 will serve you just fine.

6. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    The simple fact is that 98 is not a stable OS. Win2k or XP is much more stable. The people who say "stay away" are normally running old machines that simply don't have the horse power to get out of their own way.

Personally I would not run any of the 2K family without 512 Meg of RAM and some decent HD space. That being said a $500 machine will get you that without issue.