Italian Design and Racing of Phoenix? | FerrariChat

Italian Design and Racing of Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Boxer12, Nov 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Anyone know these folks? On fchat? Neone look into their 288 replicas? What do you know? Jim

2. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Butch Hooper is a great guy. He has a great selection of used and new parts for 308s. He is always cheaper than the dealer. I have never looked at the GTO conversions, but I do know that he has been involved with conversions for 10+ years.

Terry

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    have you checked out the 288 conversion @ Fantasy Junction in SF bay area?
    very wild, long thread on FChat a year ago.......

Ciao,
    james

4. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    OK, I have found a couple threads that talk about 288 kits, and learned that this shop changed hands a few years back. I don't see and discussion about who is building the tt motors, drivetrain for the kit cars though. Found a long thread about 328/348 tt conversion. When you see a 288 GTO kit car that has this Phoenix shop on its pedigree, what about the other aspects? All done as 'one offs' by some local garage???

5. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    I just purchased my 88 Mondial cpe. from Butch at Italian Design and have to tell ya this guy is a class act. I had the pleasure to see some 288 conversion stuff while at his facility and was blown away. I highly recommend giving him a call to satisfy your conversion needs. besides the 288 conversions he sells new and used parts as well as some high performance stuff.

John

6. de993

de993 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I can also vouch for Butch. Bought alot of parts from him in the past and looked at a 308 he was selling. Very honest and knowlegable.

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Did you buy that Black one? He has quite a setup over there. Great guy,and he really does know his stuff about Ferrari.

8. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Yeah, I bought the black car and absolutely love it. I always wanted a mondial coupe. I know alot of people think of it as a lesser ferrari than others but I just really love them. Maybe it's my age showing, as it was one of my dream cars in high school. I will post some pics in the future.

9. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Boxer12:
    Butch Hooper and his Italian D&R are really fantastic with which to deal. His GTO conversions use Jim Carpenter's old molds, having bought the business from Carpenter years ago. Carpenter is many things to many people, but for sure, he did have molds made that are very good. Butch is very knowledgeable, his prices are very fair.

Confirm this with him, but I do not believe Butch will build a complete GTO conversion, I believe he will only sell the parts for you to convert your 308/328. Corporate Ferrari somehow got involved a few years ago. Last time I went to Butch's facility, he did have a completed GTO conversion body ready for interior and mechanics available for sale.

10. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I've gotten some feedback that a 3*8 is too heavy to ever be a fast track car. Not sure that weight is the only factor, but anybody have any specs (wet weight) and/or performance data on a tt 3*8 conversion car?

11. V-12 Power

V-12 Power Rookie

Jun 1, 2005
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I own the 288 GTO for sale on Ebay and must say that it is one hell of a car. It was built by Jim Carpenter and I also have a 330 P/4 V-12 built by him. Both of these are cars are incredible examples of reproduction cars, with tedious hours put into each one. He is currently building cars out of Southern California and hope he is doing well. Any questions about this car are welcome! Ferrari Power RULES!!

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Cool! That did look like a really nice Car. And,No. I certainly do not think of ANY Ferrari as a "lesser" Ferrari. They were ALL made at the same place. They ALL have that little Yellow Badge in Front and on the Steering wheel. And,they ALL have the Chrome F E R R A R I across the back Deck Lid....:)

IMO,the Mondial is one of THE most Practical and Roomy Ferrari's. Especially if you have a Spouse and a small kid or Two. Then,the whole family can enjoy it...:) Enjoy that baby!!!