Jackie Stewart bio show on Speed.... | FerrariChat

Jackie Stewart bio show on Speed....

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Tspringer, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Speed channel had a really great biography show, 2 hours worth, on Jackie Stewart last night. It was great! What in incredibly life story....

I was moved almost to tears when he talked about Francois Cevert. What a really great guy. It seemed he was a part of Jackies family... part of the entire Tyrell family. Cevert was of coarse killed in practice at the 1973 US GP at Watkins Glen. It was to be Jackies 100th and last GP. Jackie was so distraught and moved over his death that he withdrew from the race and never raced again. The video of Cevert and Stewart playing and hanging out.... and Francois chasing some real hotties... it was difficult to watch.

I REALLY like F1 better now. I know the sport is totally different now and a big part has been lost because so much danger is gone..... but a sport where your heros are frequently killed SUCKS.

Stirling Moss often talks about how F1 is so safe, that is not even the same sport. The commitment required to push to the absolute limit in a given corner today is totally different. Today... the penalty may be a headache or perhaps (remotely) a broken bone but its mostly just monetary from destroyed machinery. Back in the day.... the penalty was all too frequently your life. Im not saying todays F1 isnt dangerous and of coarse drivers can still be killed.... but its been 10 years since the last one was. It used to be you could count on 3-4 drivers out of 20 or so a year getting killed in any given season.

This change in paradigm to me makes comparison of the drivers from those times to todays drivers moot. Sure Schumacher has 5 world champtionships and more wins than anyone..... but if you took the path of his career and plomped it down in the mid 1960s.... then Schumacher was killed after 2 world titles as his '99 crash where he broke his leg would in all probability have been fatal had it happended in 1965.

Still, the added danger and thus risk aspect that DID bring so much more to the sport is not worth the actual death of my heros. Think about how much better vintage racing at Goodwood would be today if guys like McLaren, Clark, Cevert, Rindt, Rodreguez and all the other fallen heros were still with us to drive the old cars and give commentary.....

F1 is so much better today!

Fang

2. SR Ferrari

SR Ferrari Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Almost makes you think Jackie Stewart was the best F1 driver ever.
    I had seen that documentry but some time ago.
    One of the pioneers in saftey in F1 cars.
    The cars back in those days if you crashed like Cevert did you died.
    Jackie felt that race track design was so poor that if you ran off the track during a crash something else would get you so he was instumental in making sure tracks became safer with sufficent run off and saftey barriers.
    Its seems that there are alot more bad crashes in Cart and IRL than in F1
    look at Kenny Brack ,Greg Moore, Alex Zenadi to mention a few.
    The drivers in F1 today drive cars that every single component is on the cutting edge of technoligy with no shortage of cash spared I wonder what a 70s GP driver would say today if he was able to take a 2004 F1 car for a few hot Laps?
    Jackie Stwert gets my vote.

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    That biopic is an awesome show. The first time it was on was a Sunday night and I stayed up until 1am watching it, knowing I'd be dead tired at work the next day but unable to turn it off! I remember reading a book in grade school (late 70s) about F1, and they covered the Cevert accident. Apparently he was decapitated in the crash, and hearing the first-hand accounts from Stewart, "He was so obviously dead", makes it so much more gruesome. I believe if Cevert's brief career and death happened a few years later, he'd have left a much bigger legacy than he did, perhaps rivaling Villeneuve.

One more thing about the Stewart saga: I couldn't help but feel while watching it that his story could make an incredible motion picture. It has everything in it that one normally finds only in fiction. Coming from modest means, following his big brother into racing he finds success. Nearly dies in a crash, ambulance gets lost en route to the hospital. He begins taping a wrench to his steering column in case of getting trapped in a wreck again. Champions the cause of racetrack and driver safety. Teams up with the fatherly figure Ken Tyrrell who starts building his cars in a barn! Then the whole Cevert era! I mean, come on! His life was like a composite of several individuals! Oh yeah. Then he starts his own F1 team with his son, slowly progressing until their first victory. Son successfully battles cancer!

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I have enormous respect for Stewart. He is a very clever man that has done more in his life so far than 1000 people put together ... and he could race when he had too.

My father has a book by him (or ghost written ... ?) and it is about driving techniques and how to approach motor racing, and as a youngster I read it over and over and really do agree with his approach. This book also highlights why he really is one of the top F1 drivers ever.

Pete

5. SR Ferrari

SR Ferrari Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Gillies.
    Motion Picture material for sure.
    When Jackie and Ken were sitting in the Barn remernising it takes you back and makes you think those were the days.
    My brother in law drove Jackie and his son around in 98-99 when Jackie run the GP,S in Australia with Magnussen and then Johhny Herbert teamed up with Rubens when Jan was let go to drive in 99.

I had a real special moment talking with Jackie in 2001 standing at the Podium at the 24hr at Daytona talking about the races in Australia
    At this time I had not seen this biopic but when I did I realized what a special moment that was for me .
    Guys if you have a special moment in your life that when you looked back at in Motorsports we would enjoy hearing about it.
    Wayne Hynes.

6. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I crossed paths with him in Montreal, the year of his 60th birthday (99?). Anyway, my friends and I went out for a steak to this cool old place (Gibbies) and were sitting out in the courtyard waiting for our table. JS and his entire group of a dozen or so came in and sat right next to us. Once inside, they came in and were again seated next to us. Out of respect we never interrupted him. Rather, we initiated a group rendition of "Happy Birthday". The whole restaurant sang along and he seemed to enjoy it. I believe the next day he announced he sold to Ford/Jag.