Jan de Vroom, early N.A.R.T. backer | FerrariChat

Jan de Vroom, early N.A.R.T. backer

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by duki, Aug 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. duki

duki Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Klis
    #1 duki, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Some months ago I got interested in the story of Jan de Vroom, one of the early backers of N.A.R.T. as most of you know. ‘One of the great stories of motor racing history to be told’, somebody wrote on this forum. I am a motorsports historian from the Netherlands and will try to take up at least the Dutch part of this challenge.
    I saw several threads about Luigi Chinetti, N.A.R.T. and the Ferrari’s Jan de Vroom used to own.
    I already did quite some research: on De Vroom’s business, on his taste for Italian design (furniture and glass), on the Ferrari’s he owned, on the races he participated in and much more.
    I even tracked down his family, so I have already collected quite some information.
    Of course I read the article by Dominick Dunne in Vanity Fair and I found the legal proceedings that followed after De Vroom was murdered in 1975.

But would there be more information? Are there still people alive who met him? I had a couple of short phone calls, with Mr. Chinetti jr. and Bruce Kessler among others, but I am still trying to find some of the mechanics of Chinetti Motors.
    I know that the granddaughter of George Arents jr., Leilani, also tried to find information. Is there anybody who can get me in touch with her?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I really would appreciate it when somebody can offer some help.

Hans

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Luigi Chinetti, Jr. and Dick Fritz would be the best sources.

duki likes this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Also writer/historian Marc Sonnery who is a member here: Nembo1777

4. duki

duki Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Klis
    Thank you 375+, I appreciate your help!

375+ likes this.
  5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Anytime. Welcome to FerrariChat!

duki likes this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Maybe Françoise Sicard knew him, but I’m not sure if he worked for NART or strictly for the dealership/distributor.

I know that Michael Lynch was doing some research about de Vroom and others in Chinetti’s orbit for his Chinetti/NART book. Since his death I have not heard the status of publication.

By the way, as far as I know most if not all of de Vroom’s wealth came from those he surrounded himself with. The Dunne article in Vanity Fair is highly recommended.

7. duki

duki Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Klis
    Hi Jack,
    Good suggestion, thanks very much. I did read the Vanity Fair article of course, an important source. But there is more to tell about his wealth. I hope I can shed some light on his life, please give me some time.

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    https://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/1987/02/dunne198702

Seems de Vroom was a Francois Marie Banier gold digger type though not to the same astronomical extent.

In the mid 1990's when I was looking for my first book subject I did speak with Coco Chinetti about doing the NART book and in two meetings in Paris including one at Bardinon's apartment (in Bardinon's absence) he showed me some papers but they were as heavily redacted as CIA archive public releases! In the end I did not feel my hands would have been free enough so I opted against it. Coco is a great character to meet, on the right day.

It would be nice to find out more about de Vroom anyway so good luck Hans:)

Jack-the-lad, Pmo75, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  9. duki

duki Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Klis
    Thanks, Nembo1777! It's clear Jan depended on the Marquesa to a certain extent, but I found some proof he certainly cannot be compared to Banier. We'll see what comes up during my research.

Timmmmmmmmmmy and Nembo1777 like this.
  10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That was too easy;)

miurasv likes this.
  13. Pmo75

Pmo75 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    duki likes this.
  14. Giuliana

Giuliana Rookie

May 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    GIULIANA ALTEA
    Dear Hans, I am an art and design historian and am interested in Jan De Vroom because of his furniture business. Do you have any information on his educational background, where he studied and what, with whom he mingled? I wonder if he had been trained as an architect. He seemed very passionate about Italian design. Any cues from other bloggers are welcome, and of course will be credited.

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Dear Mrs Professore

I suggest you get in touch with Richard "Dick" Fritz, long time head at NART North American Racing Team and Luigi Chinetti Motors. He later opened up his own Amerispec Corporation in Danbury/CT.
    I am sure Dick knew Jan de Vroom and has more to tell.
    Fingers crossed.

Marcel Massini

16. duki

duki Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Klis
    Dear Giuliana, yes, I may have some interesting facts for you, although it is a hard puzzle. And of course I am working on a story as well. Maybe we should call or chat? Best regards, Hans

17. Giuliana

Giuliana Rookie

May 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    GIULIANA ALTEA
    Thank you for your suggestion. I am afraid that they met DV long after his involvement with design, but who knows?

18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    @duki @Giuliana

Hello.

Did either of you ever have your work about de Vroom published?

Jack.

19. duki

duki Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Klis

Hi Jack, thank you for asking. I’m actually writing these couple of months, while doing some last research. Publication in the Netherlands is scheduled this fall. And then the next step will be to find an American publisher… I’ll post the cover one of these days.

20. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Hans. I’m sure many here will want to know all about it. Please let us know.

duki, Jeff Kennedy and 375+ like this.
  21. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    To what extent did you also end up with information about George Arents? Anything about ownership percentages of NART or funding splits?

375+ likes this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Excellent questions.

23. duki

duki Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Klis
    I'm afraid nothing spectacular on this subject, Jeff. I share your curiosity, but those doors didn't open. I focus on the biography of De Vroom and maybe I can shed some light on details that are interesting for people mainly interested in N.A.R.T. We'll have to wait and see.

Nembo1777 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  24. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Best of luck Hans.

Gr. Martin

duki likes this.