Jeremy Clarkson has repurchased his Ford GT | FerrariChat

Jeremy Clarkson has repurchased his Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by GT Fan, Nov 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    There was a lot of bad PR for the Ford GT when Top Gear's host returned his Ford GT due to a faulty alarm system, but in fact he bought the car back:

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1805419,00.html

Driving
    The Sunday Times, October 02, 2005
    By Jeremy Clarkson

The first three weeks of Ford GT ownership were not happy. Its alarm went off constantly, the anti-theft tracker cried wolf every five minutes and the satellite navigation system caused the engine to think it might be a dishwasher of some kind. So I sent it away and demanded my money back.
    This didn’t go down well with the readership of The Sunday Times. Every day my in-box was choked with more and more missives from angry people saying I’d been too rash, that I’d waited 40 years for this car and shouldn’t have given up because of some small electronic glitches.

You were right, of course, so I’m delighted to say that it’s back, sitting in my drive looking all blue and huge.

They’ve fixed the alarm by winding down the sensitivity of the sensors. Now you could host a showjumping competition in there and the siren would remain mute. They’ve fixed the tracker by turning it off. And I don’t know how they fixed the sat nav, but whatever they did it only lasted a mile before the engine warning light came on again.

Who cares? This sort of thing is bound to happen on a car that’s right out there at the technical limits of what’s possible. The mistake I made before is thinking the big Ford could be an everyday car, and it can’t. It’s for when the sun is shining and the roads are quiet. It’s a car for high days and holy days.

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Wow, as if the things they adjusted were really that difficult to have solved in the first place? Seriously, to return a fabulous car over a mis-installed alarm, thats not even a ford item was pretty ridiculous. I still wonder if there was another reason for it, it simply didn't add up to me.

3. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
    should of got and F430/10

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    an alarm is the technical limits of whats possible:)?

5. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Nah a Murcie roadster

6. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    OR whatever makes him happy.

This car has just as much prestige as an F430 or what have you.

Still pretty surprised they couldn't take care of the problems.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Im surprised he didnt get a F430 while being GT less since he LOVED it so much ?

8. ScarletPimpernel

May 19, 2005
    The Back of Beyond
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What's the betting he has it converted to the open top version that has been announced. You need the coupe first to get a conversion. That makes it 'easier' to park which will stop one of his gripes.

SP

9. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Im betting Ford practically gave the car back to him so they didn't recieve such bad PR.

10. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    If I read it correctly, sounds like he's kind of being sarcastic........"fixed the nav sys by turning it off"..........sounds like they gave him the car back, but he's still kind of making fun of it.

11. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Hey, it's a Furd, what was he expecting? Ha, JK, if someone were to give me one of these cars, I'd gladly take it!

12. doubledeuce

doubledeuce Rookie

Oct 23, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Full Name:
    John Zhang
    Personally, I won't buy a car that I couldn't even get out of when I'm in a parking lot. What a joke.

13. fpb

fpb Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    MI, Chicago
    Are you agoraphobic? Handicapped? What are you talking about? If your comment is in reference to the shape of the door then you have never actually been in the GT.

14. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Tell us more. Most magazines have commented you have to be careful when parking or you will not be able to get out of the car.

gary

15. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    What a fool. I like generally the guy, but this whole saga has been ridiculous.

16. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    #16 GT Fan, Nov 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Ford GT doors are totally stupid. There was a reason for them on the 60's racer (it had high, wide sills to step over, and was designed for parking only on the grid at Le Mans), but on the new car they are for style only.

I hated them when I saw them, I still hated them after driving a GT 700 miles, and..... I still ordered a GT, just like Clarkson.

Look at this screen grab from a low-res copy of the Top Gear review. If this was a normal car with the door open this wide, you could easily get in, without being a gymnast or referring to the Kama Sutra.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Does the GT have a remote for the locks and window? If it does, you could lower the windows and enter that way in a tight parking spot.

18. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

You wankers, if you have to go to Wal Mart, take the damn Town & Country.

Who the fock cares whether you can open the doors in a conventional parking lot...

19. ScarletPimpernel

May 19, 2005
    The Back of Beyond
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'd hazard a guess that you have never parked a 'normal car' in a British parking lot from your comment. The GT is wider than the standard space set out for parking.

SP

20. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    Ooh, that one hurts. He called us wankers!

Mommie!

21. njn63

njn63 Rookie

Nov 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i personally love the GT doors just because it's part of the heritage. If you want a car that is just a badge and nothing to do with the original, go buy a Dodge Charger. I always thought that was the coolest part of the original GT-40 and was glad to see they didn't get rid of it on the GT.

Then again, i've never gotten the opportunity to drive one so i can't give a opinion of how annoying they are. I do however like the styling.

22. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    The heritage is that the original GT40 was all about function.

Except for the doors, the new GT is a modern interpretation of that heritage (although obviously adapted for street use).

The doors on the old car were real. The doors on the new car are fake.

23. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    not to be a hijacker but when will the discovery channel start airing Top Gear again? I noticed it hasn't been on for a month or so...

24. 1SICKLEX

1SICKLEX Karting
    BANNED

Jul 26, 2004
    Everywhere
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just read Clarskson's editorial in Top Gear where he said America hasn't built a sporting car since the 1960s........

I like him, but he's a bit off the rocker sometimes.