Just for fun: 308 GT4 in Pink | FerrariChat

Just for fun: 308 GT4 in Pink

Discussion in '308/328' started by dyerhaus, May 21, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    If you've read any of my posts, you know my 1975 Dino 308 GT4 is currently being restored back to its original factory color of Verde Pino Metallizzato (when I bought the car, it was already resale red). I'm a big fan of "original" and was never a big fan of red, so I'm crazy excited to get this back to a color that I actually really like, a color that I may have chose myself if I could have bought this car new in 1975 (which would have been an amazing feat for a five-year-old kid).

A friend of mine, knowing my penchant for originality, sent me this article about an Austin Healy that someone had bought only to discover later that it was originally pink and black with an impressive history behind it (read the story here).

Another friend then sent a link to a pink and black 1955 Ford Crown Victoria that had recently sold at Mecum auctions.

This begged the question:

"Would I have restored my 1975 Dino 308 GT4 back to pink and black if that had been the original color?"

Initially my answer was "no," but with the note that I would sell it someone who would restore it back its original condition. If it was a historically significant car with a provenance like the Austin Healy, it deserves to be restored. And, honestly, I wouldn't want a car like that—I just want one I can drive and enjoy.

But then I played with a photo of my car in Photoshop… I will now admit that the 308 GT4 doesn't look bad in pink and black!

Here's a photo of my car as I bought it, red:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's my first color change to solid pink:

And here it is in pink and black:
    Now I really hope that someone will paint their 308 GT4 this color, I'd love to see it in person! :)

skullyspice, Brian Harper and Dom like this.
  2. Tortellini

Tortellini Rookie

Sep 27, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Did you do one in the original shade of green? ...that sounds nice.

3. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    I did, but it's a fairly hard color to match in Photoshop since it's metallic, so I don't think I quite got it spot on. Of course, I should have it by the end of June or July, so I'll just take new photos of the real car then. But here's my Photoshop job for the moment.

4. Tortellini

Tortellini Rookie

Sep 27, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Right... maybe you can show the real thing when it's done...