Just Received Topspeed Headers, WTF? | FerrariChat

Just Received Topspeed Headers, WTF?

Discussion in '360/430' started by BlacktopRacing, Sep 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I was excited to get these at such a good price because everyone says they're the same as Fabspeed and Agency Power, but after careful inspection of photos available online, I don't see this poorly-constructed bend in the other brands. These bends actually form a point. I don't see any reason why this Bend couldn't be one piece DOM. Anybody else notice this with ANY of the three brands? Just wondering if I got a poorly-built set.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Left one looks really bad

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The path the pipe follows is too tight for a bend. I'm not suggesting the path is proper or not.

4. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    There was an episode of engine masters on the motor trend youtube channel where these hot rod guys bashed a huge dent in some headers to see if it made any difference on the dyno. It didn't. I am sure that shape may not be "optimal" but I would think it's insignificant to the overall performance of your car. If it's going to bother you because it doesn't look pretty put a blanket over it and call it a day :)

DBomb117, mazand1982, TAILWAG and 4 others like this.
  5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wrap it with heat tape. Out of sight, out of mind.

6. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Great idea but he can't unsee it.

whatheheck likes this.
  7. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    But if these are supposed to be the same as fabspeed and AP headers, then why don't fabspeed or AP headers have these pointy bends in them? I'm not concerned about how it might affect power or torque, but I am concern it will ultimately be a failure point (get it?).

recoil and brianweekes like this.
  8. DaChosen1FoSho

DaChosen1FoSho Karting

Dec 23, 2017
    Stealthssfc and milanojess like this.
  9. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    when comparing the previous poster's AP headers to the Top Speed ones, you can clearly see the tube that was welded to a point on the Top Speed headers is not routed to the same port on the merge collector between the 2 different header companies....probably proof enough that they're not made by 1 chinese company

BlacktopRacing likes this.
  10. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Headers are meant to be equal length for optimum performance. OP's are definately not.

fc2, BlacktopRacing and Mikael-F360 like this.
  11. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Those look like sh!tspeed...ticking time bomb, don't install those.

Bas and BlacktopRacing like this.
  12. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    This is an excellent point! Equal length of each pipe is important. There is a reason why those headers you bought are cheap! The Chinese really messed up the design.

BlacktopRacing likes this.
  13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Poor welds too.

Bas and Jaguar36 like this.
  14. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    No way they are equal length judging by picture.

For the OP from the Internet of things:-

"The idea behind an exhaust header is to eliminate the manifold's back pressure. Instead of a common manifold that all of the cylinders share, each cylinder gets its own exhaust pipe. These pipes come together in a larger pipe called the collector. The individual pipes are cut and bent so that each one is the same length as the others. By making them the same length, it guarantees that each cylinder's exhaust gases arrive in the collector spaced out equally so there is no back pressure generated by the cylinders sharing the collector"

whatheheck likes this.
  15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The plumbing under my sink looks better

UrbanHero and JoeTSI like this.
  16. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    That looks puppi caca to me. No way I would use them.

17. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
  18. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There's one thing for sure: they are far less restrictive than the terrible stock manifolds! I had a set on my last car (F430 manual) and the power difference was marked - it would sometimes spin up the wheels going into 4th. I love the power delivery of the 4-1 manifolds; they suit the car so much better!

I paid $998 USD for mine. Superb VFM.

I have Capristo on my current and other than the larger diameter primaries and better bends, there's not really an improvement in fabrication. The Capristo has more 'meat' in the midrange but less 'fizz' at the top, which I miss.

19. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    I would contact them as soon as possible and explain your dissatisfaction. the first thing I noticed are the welds. In the website pic they are much smoother and polished.
    The tube in question also appears to have been bent without the "apex".
    The ones you received really look different from they are showing on their website.

Lotaz and whatheheck like this.
  20. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Same sentiment from me, may not see a difference on a dyno but I don’t like that sharp point at all due to concerns over long term reliability with thermal cycling. I’d send them back or sell them and start over with a higher quality set.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Lotaz likes this.
  21. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    It's hard to see since you're comparing my pics to your because in mine, they're upside down, so you don't see the bend in question. I think it's the same port for the same reason too.

22. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    brianweekes likes this.
  23. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    So who ever said Topspeed are the same as Fabspeed and AP are clearly wrong and since I trusted them, cost me some headache because I am not keeping these I'm sending them back because they are clearly poorly designed and their pictures are angled to hide these flaws.

whatheheck and Sky Hye like this.
  24. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    For what it's worth, the welds look fine... It's the unequal length tubes and the two bends that form points that are reason for me to return these.

25. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Someone more knowledgeable than I can correct me if I’m wrong but, wouldn’t that sharp “bend” cause the exhaust gases to hit that bend and get caught up causing a hot spot at the outside point of the bend? It’s where it’s welded there and if the quality of the piece is subpar to begin with, I wouldn’t trust the weld job.