Justify Your Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Justify Your Ferrari

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by KenC, Oct 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Why do we have to tell people the reasons we buy our Ferraris?
    I never have to explain to anyone if asked just told them I wanted it, my dream!

2. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Wanted an MR2 replica but Angelis got there first so had to buy a 360, was so pissed !

3. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    I cost me all I own to buy it and all I earn to run it, but it's the relisation of a childhood dream. I was only going to own one for 6 months, but I kinda got caught up in it, and as I stand here on the verge of my third Ferrari, I look back over the last three years, and whilst a small part of me regrets doing it, the larger part simply says "Where is the nearest Shell garage".

I own my Ferrari because of you guys, and for this, I salute you!

4. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    As it turns out I did'nt get that 355, but got one of the last real Ferrari's designed when Enzo was around.

5. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    That was the 328. I thought you had a 348?

6. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    ha ha

7. lauris

lauris Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2005
    Glasgow
    Full Name:
    Scott Laurie
    have 911 aswell as the 355, and most of the porsche gang all asked the question,, why did you buy one,, dead simple,, cos I wanted it,,, why else ???????
    have yet to tell family,,,,although wife suspects,,,,

8. lockyer

lockyer Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2004
    Cas Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jon Newall
    I got mine to piss the mrs off....it worked. I'm now looking for a murci just see if I can push her boundaries a bit further

9. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    you bought a porsche cos you wanted one ? surely not, c'mon, must have been the best option on the company car list !

10. LeeP

LeeP Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    LeeP
    I can justify one ... just can't afford one :D

11. Mark355

Mark355 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Because I can...

12. panterasteve

panterasteve Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    huddersfield
    Full Name:
    steve b
    promised myself a nice birthday present for getting to forty years old and for car nut its a dream come true ,dont like the monthly payments though,fed up of beans on toast!!!

13. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    3 years ago one of my former partners spent around £38k on a BMW 328 Convertible. I spent £37k on a 328 GTS. Mine's worth something close to what I paid for it, his is worth less than half.

I enjoy my car, he gets to work in his.

Oh, and I'd just got divorced and already had an Aston and figured I might as well have a proper mid-life crisis.

14. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Still haven't told my mum and dad how much I paid for it. My Missus loves it and wouldn't have any other car after the 911. Like stig its all the money i have and it breaks my balls to keep it, I'll probably never have another and I'll keep this one till I can no longer haul around the non-powered steering wheel or depress the godamn heavy clutch. It was never a dream to own one as I never thought about then at all as they were always out of me league, twas only cos theyre older and cheaper that I could afford one :D

15. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    My father took me to the 1973 Motor Show at Earls Court for my birthday treat that October. Looked at Morgans, Rolls Royces, Stags and others. Then got to Ferrari stand... spent a while there with that excited feeling in your trouser department you get as a kid (or even now for some).

Looking through the slides my Dad took that day, there was a slightly blurred picture of a silver Dino 308 GT4 with the caption "favourite car at Motor Show...and I got the shakes!"

I bought my GT4 23 years after he died, and I think he'd be delighted for me to realise a dream that was passed on partly because of his enthusiasm for cars.

Justify it. Have not intention of doing so, just feels right. Wife suffers it, kids puke in it, chavs wanna race it, vans try to clip it, former friends envy it, bank balance says "no to it", ..... but I love it. End.

16. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Bought my first F-car before I got married. When I told my then GF I had bought one, she asked "can you afford it?", I said yes and that was the end of it. After we got married, a couple of years later, it went away as we bought a house, etc. Earlier this year, I started looking at F-car's again, and her basic question was still "can we afford it?", same answer "yes", and the car's now in the garage.

17. D11VE:J

D11VE:J Formula 3

Nov 9, 2004
    #42 D11VE:J, Oct 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice sentiment sletti; much appreciated honesty.

Why Did I buy a Ferrari?
    I worked 168 hours a week for 30 years, did the work every day of 10 men, worked and travelled all over the world to earn enough to buy a home, and raise a wonderful family of 8 children with the girl I married when I was a kid, I salute my wife for that and for her understanding.

The only selfish thing I have ever done in my life was to buy a Ferrari for ME because it fulfilled a life dream and because, after all, I deserved it :)
    D11VE:J
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Well said!! You can't take it with you when you go, and no one knows when they are leaving.

19. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    good on ya fella

20. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane

It seems you really deserve it!

21. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    My cars paid for. And the realisation of a dream I've had since I first got that CT poster above my bed as a kid.

How do you justify paying the bank every month for the privelage of driving a Ford? Now thats a far harder question to answer.

22. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I have always wanted one - it's been a lifetime ambition for me. Have even kept all my old copies of Car/Performance Car/Autocar/Motor since the early 80s with Ferrari articles - and bought several sad (but useful) books like 'Original Ferrari V8. Worked hard for years and years to earn the cash to be able to afford one, and when the big day came it was the best day of my life - first bought a 328GTS (Red/Cream/Black) then upgraded to a 355 Spider (Red/Black). Even today, whenever I walk up to the car to take it for a spin, it makes me smile and be happy - no matter how long or short the journey is. Wouldn't sell it unless I really had to, and would certainly buy another if that were the case. It's the dogs nads - and I consider myself very lucky to be able to look after one. End of.

23. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Great post Richard - great looking car to.

24. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    The part in bold that goes for me too :)

25. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I was walking out of the porsche dealership on the A4/M4 London with their saleman after just putting down an order for another car with them. At that very second a 355 Spider drove past. The salesman turned to me and said, now THAT is a proper car, obviously trying to have a joint petrol head bonding moment. Actually it just gave me the idea to cancel the order a week later and buy a 355 Spider.

I justify my purchase by the fact that a porsche saleman told me to buy it.