Kauai or Big Island...with children | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Kauai or Big Island...with children

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by jefffromcanada, Mar 18, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Alaska to Hawaii and then it doesn't matter. Very short fly time to any island. Book a car on TBI early. They do sell out. If your going to stay in a condo stop at Costco on the way into town, (turn left at Koloko, then right a few blocks) buy a cooler with ice and stock up. If you go later be warned, its a 2 hour ordeal. Costco on TBI is packed all day.

2. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    I'm going to bump my own thread.

Sounds like we're going to stay at the Kona Coast Resort on the Kona side. Although there is one thing that concerns me about the KCR.....the price. Its too affordable, does that make sense :)

Most of you think it would be wise to spend some time on the Hilo side. If we're spending 9 nights on TBI. How many nights would you allot for the east side? Is 2 nights enough or would 3, even 4 be preferable? Remember, the wife and I are with our 4 and 6 year old.

Any hotel recommendations for the east side?

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Personally a day trip around the Island is all you need. Sorry but Hilo is a run down crap hole. It might be fun for you if you want a close look at very old Hawaii. Hotels.....there's only one that I would consider clean enough to stay at in Hilo. Its by the harbor and the park right at the bay. Can't remember the name. It was that memorable..

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Keep in mind that every Saturday one block up Alii to the Keaho shopping center is farmers market, then in the evening live entertainment. Its usually really good. If the drummers are performing and there is a Bone Dance its a good time. My 7 year old granddaughter had to be dragged home pouting cause she was having so much fun.

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well if you already decided on The Big Island great! the volcano park is very nice and the highlight of a trip there.

Some thoughts...
    I think you really have to stay in Hilo though to access it. You can go a couple of times since its just 1/2 hour away. The hotels and food are pretty crappy as is the service so Hilo is a couple of days stay max. Lyman museum is great for kids if they like shells and gemstones.

The volcano park has a Jr. Park Ranger program that is fun for the kids takes an hour or so if memory serves. Dont forget to bring your own flashlights when you go on the lava tube hike!

Petroglyph fields are fun to do hike also = takes a lot of time though.

My kids would not stand for a circumnavigate type day trip in a car as has been suggested. Its a loooooong way around.

We have stayed in some condos above Kona near a couple of hotels that are nice but the name escapes me. It may be where Glass is suggesting since it was close to a shopping center with a Ruth Chris. If you need a name let me know and I can track it down for you.

If you go this route we found that a ground level condo with grass out front for the kids to play and a BBQ was key to their happiness and ours. Hiking along the ocean accross the street from the condos was the main activity for them.

If there are boat rides out of Kona that would be fun but I have never done it. Big game fishing is there but not sure about sailboats or similar family type stuff.

Place of refuge is interesting, I think its below Kona. I understand that the saddle road that goes between Kona and Hilo has been improved so this might be nice to make the island a bit smaller.

Shoot me a PM or post here for any other info I can help with.

Aloha

6. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    I know some of this may seem trivial you guys but I really do appreciate your input and time.

17 nights in Hawaii:

1st seven are spent on Oahu, renting a house with 2 other couples in Diamond Head. That leaves 10 nights.

Being that neither of you would recommend spending even 1 night in Hilo....is 10 nights too long on the BI or is that stupid talk :)

Would it make more sense to spend 6 or 7 nights on the BI then come back to Oahu, and spend the 3 or 4 nights...(maybe north shore area...treat ourselves at Turtle Bay). We have to fly back to Oahu anyways to get home.

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    #32 Edward 96GTS, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    keep the flying to a min. it's fatiguing and you lose a day. from the big island you can cruise to another island for a few days.
    ed

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Just for clarification. Hilo is 2 hours from Kona no matter what way you go.
    Once your kids get the lay of the land in the Kona Coast Resort, they won't want to go anywhere other than the pool. 10 days plus....no problem. My 7 year old Granddaughter
    would live at the pool, sleep under an umbrella, and charge food at the pool bar for a month and still not want to go home.
    The Ruth Christs is closed, but a new Sammy Chow (or what ever it is) is there now. My wife says its nice. She was there last night.
    That place is straight up the road and thru the Keaho Shopping Center.

9. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    My kids 8 and 10 especially enjoy Wikoloa Villiage.. Great pools and amenities.. Imari the is good for Sushi or Tempanyaki...

10. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Just had a one week vacation on the Big Island and stayed at Hilton Waikaloa with my wife, 4 yr old daughter, and 2 yr old son. We had the best vacation, as a family, ever. I seem to recall the Hilton Waikaloa rated as the best Hawaiian travel destination for a family, a few years ago. The Hilton is most known for the Dolphin Quest pool, where you and your family can get up and close with the dolphins, though my kids were too small to really do this. they enjoyed watching them, though. There are so many things to do in this resort that you literally could spend a whole week, just inside the resort and you wold have a great time bonding with the family in paradise. Good food, great shopping, and a great beaches (Hapuna and Waikaloa are near). The big island offers the volcano park, some great waterfalls and hiking trails, all separated by some wonderful roads for driving. I was wishing that I had my Ferrari there, the toads were so good. My entire family DID NOT WANT TO GO HOME, after coming to the Big Island and staying at the Hilton. My kids loved it so much, that when I asked them if they wanted to move to HI, they both said, " yes, daddy."

11. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Thanks guys.

Any of you familiar with the Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa?

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Jeff,

I think Butcher is on to something. Take a look at the Hilton.

Aloha

13. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Jeff,

After staying at the Hilton Waikaloa, It was so hard to leave we, possibly unconsiously, came a little late to the Kona airport, and I unfortunately ( or fortunately) missed my flight back to California. I could not get another flight that day, so I had to book another hotel for the night. Wanting to see a different place, we booked a night at the Sheraton Keauhou Resort. This is also a nice resort, nice pools with watersides, nice restaurant/ bar with the chance of viewing Large Manta Rays each night with Blue lighting, shuttle service to downtown Kona, beautiful Ocean View. You will have a good time staying at the resort for a cheaper price than the Hilton. however, the Hilton is on a totally different level. If you really live your family, take them to the Hilton.

Hope thus helps.

14. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #39 Kevin Rev'n, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think breaking up your trip in the middle for just a couple of days in Hilo so you can access the volcano sounds right. Get a little gritty in Hilo for a couple of days and check out the volcano and then I like your idea to get to the North Shore of Oahu or the Hilton that was suggested for some pampering. I love finishing up a gritty adventure in a nice hotel and the Hilton is great, Turtle Bay is great and if you golf play the Palmer and only the Palmer and play it as many times as you can. Its the nicest course on the island IMO.

We go to the volcano park every year and we put up with Hilo to do so. The architecture of the town is pleasantly different and nice to stroll around in if you have low expectations and a little adventure in your blood. There is a very nice, large park within walking distance to the hotels by the harbor in Hilo that is good to relax in and plenty for the kids to explore with footbridges and ponds, or the rocky shore along its boundary. You might see some homeless but Hawaii is a poor place with simple people. Go shopping at the big supermarket and the kids might enjoy the shopping carts. Last time we went I think this was the highlight of their trip!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Jeff,

We stay at Hilton Waikoloa whenever we go the the Big Island (we have an 8 year old) and would stay there again. Your kids will love the pools and Dolphin Quest.

We drove over to Hilo early one morning and up to the volcanos but returned back to Waikoloa the same day. I would have stayed overnight in Hilo one night at the most. Overall, ten days is a long time on the BI.

We stayed at Turtle Bay this past weekend for 3 nights, and maybe 2 nights would be good for your family. I would do this before going to the BI because Hilton Waikoloa would be the highlight. When Chris Hemmeter developed this in the 80's (was Hyatt Regency Waikoloa) his vision was just amazing and still today, it's still amazing.

Wherever you stay and whatever you do, I hope you and your family have an enjoyable trip.

Aloha!

16. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Not sure when you are traveling but if you are going to Turtle Bay do check with Haleiwa (North Shore Oahu) to see if there are any festivals planned at Haleiwa Beach park during your stay. They are usually quite fun and are worth planning around.

17. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Don't forget to stop at Kona Joe's Coffee in Kona/Kailua on your way up to the volcano park, if you are a coffee lover.

18. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

If you do go to Hilo, stay away from Pahoa. This is the drug capital of Hawaii, and where most Meth is made. It's a quaint town and there are a couple of good resturants there but only go there at night if you have no problem kicking some ass if you need to.

19. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Thanks......again:)

Sorry for not replying sooner, I've been on a golf trip the last 4 days. Tons of great advice and as a result we're looking into the Hilton. We've been quoted just over $1600 for the 10 days at the Sheraton, which seems reasonable. $1200+ for the KCR.....I'm going to see what we can come up with regarding the Hilton. I'm guessing it will be in the 3 ish range.

20. cfe142

cfe142 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2011
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Although I don't have a Ferrari, I have been to the big island. I highly suggest buying a copy of "Guide to the Big Island". It will tell you where all of the great beaches and waterfalls are. Sometimes you have to park along the highway, and hike in. On your way from the airport, you will see cars parked.

Bring your COSTCO card. There is a store just south of the airport. If you're staying in a condo, you'll want to stock up on "provisions". There is a market at the Hilton. There is a really nice market in Waikoloa Village.

There is a great activity called fluming the ditch. You paddle inflatable kayaks down the old irrigation ditches for the sugar plantations. It's like a Disney ride. There is a sea horse "ranch" south of the Hilton. They raise pet sea horses. You, and your kids, will love it. We have gone snorkeling, cave exploring, dolphin watching with an outfit called Sea Quest. You go out on 4 man zodiacs, with a guide. There are also several horse rides available.

The Hilton property is like a city. It's also the only gas between you and the airport. The Italian place there is good. The teppan sushi place is just OK. I can't remember the other places. They have a decent luau. Just up the Queen K. highway, the Canoe House at the Mauna Lani is always good. Brown's at the Fairmont is always good. Further north, the Harbor Grill is a great, reasonable, family place. There is a Four Seasons close to the sea horse ranch. I cannot attempt to spell, or say, its name. It was incredible.

Have a Great trip,

Greg

21. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good stuff Greg! I will revisit your post when I return to BI. Thanks

22. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    We've been to these places to eat and they had super good food:

Merriman's Market Cafe Waikoloa at Kings' Shops Restaurants & Eateries
    http://merrimanshawaii.com/market_cafe.htm
    (Not sure if this location is still open, if not, have to drive to Merriman's Waimea)

Charley’s Thai Cuisine at Queens' MarketPlace Restaurants
    http://www.charleysthaicuisine.com/
    Small restaurant with great Thai curry and sticky rice

23. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Tons of awesome info guys!!

I should leave my Frommers book at home and just print out this thread :)

24. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Yes, I would second the Four Seasons. Had dinner there after returning to Waikola from visiting the volcanoes. A wonderful place to be, with a 5 star dinner practically on the beach.

25. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

For dinning my favorites are Roys at the Hilton Kings Shops, the Indian place right accross the street from King Kam Hotel, the Firestone.....just up the street from King Kam, and behind the Firestone tire place. Great Thai food. its called the Firestone cause nobody can remember the actual name.