KC restaurants/bars | FerrariChat

KC restaurants/bars

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by Whisky, Nov 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Where is just a really cool restaurant/bar in KC to visit?
    Just something out of the ordinary, but with great food, great menu, and not requiring a black tie? American cuisine.
    We like the Elephant Bar out on 119th and Metcalf, but my wife also really likes Joe's Crab Shack (meh...) I'm not looking for a chain, maybe something like what is on DDD.

Anywhere from Independence MO to Olathe KS to the Kansas Speedway.

2. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My 2 favorite places to eat out there were Oklahoma Joe's and Smoking' Guns - 2 of the best BBQ places I've ever eaten at. OK Joe's is in Lenexa, and Smokin Guns is in North KC. Also try Jack Stack for BBQ. Otherwise, there was a place on the plaza that I liked that did an all you can eat meat menu, but I can't remember the name of it, maybe someone that currently lives there knows what I'm talking about.

3. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #3 Whisky, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    Thanks Scott.

I find it rather odd I have received ONE reply to this question, but oh well... I will try OK Joe's, I generally don't do 'all you can eat' places.

Years' ago - I'm talking 20-25 years ago, Fred P. Ott's on the Plaza was truly awesome for a burger joint, but today - the last 15 years even: - meh - it's OK, but it's not a 'destination' anymore. There were a lot of 'destinations' - Eddie Bauer on the plaza was really great - until they downsized the store to half the size it used to be, 10-12 years ago?
    There was another great place called 'Ups and Downs' on the other end of the Plaza near where McDonald's is - my wife LOVED that place, but it closed down also, 12 years ago or so. Independence Mall was great - then nearly empty - now I hear it's coming back. Some of the shoppes out by the Speedway are OK, but not enough to be called a 'destination'.

The problem is, most everything we came to KC for now has a location in Omaha, no need to come down there as much. Years ago we were down there once a month. Today, maybe twice a year - if that.
    The only reason we have to come down is 'Better Cheddar'. We have not seen much in the 'Power and Light District' to make us want to come down more.

4. rcm360

rcm360 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Reese
    Here are a couple of my suggestions, if you are out south I would try La Bodega at 119th and Roe in the Shops at 119. If you want to go to the original location go to the one on Southwest Blvd. and make sure you get the Spanish Coffee.

If you want BBQ, you need to go to the original Oklahoma Joe's at Mission Road and I think 43rd Street?? It is in a gas station and the line will be out the door.

If you want to go downtown, I would try Westside Local (Crossroads) or The Farmhouse (River Market) both have excellent food and you can go in jeans.

For the Plaza, JJ's and get the Osso Bucco

Reese

5. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Brobecks Bar B Q is the best in Kansas, the burnt ends are incredible and the ribs are smoked perfectly. No sauce required. Oklahoma Joe's is just average.

4615 Indian Creek Parkway. (106th and Roe) Overland Park. This is where the Ferrari club goes when we want Bar B Q. Lunch time can be standing room only but it is worth the wait!

6. tallguy1184

tallguy1184 Rookie

Jun 15, 2009
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Chris, I completely agree with you about Brobecks BBQ. My wife and I always keep their sauce in our refrig. Whenever we get a chance we stop in for the best BBQ in Kansas.

7. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Possibly Fogo De Chao, an all you can eat Brazilian steakhouse. Its not original to KC, but still pretty good.

8. bkniep

bkniep Karting

Dec 31, 2008
    St Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Bill Kniep
    Go to Extra Virgin by Michael Smith. Some of the most exciting, innovative, and impeccable food in KC. Also great cocktail and bar scene.
    Bill

9. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Thanks guys.

One place that we loved was the old Stroud's on 83rd and Troost, but they knocked it down, and moved into a location on Mission. We have been to the 'new' one twice since then and quite honestly will probably never go back, needless to say it wasn't very good at all.

LOL, Bannister Mall was interesting to say the least back then, but they had one thing nobody else had - a US Government Bookstore.

10. Coolhand

Coolhand Karting

Mar 30, 2007
    Overland Park Kansas
    1. The Reiger Hotel Grill and Exchange. If you go, be sure to check out Manifesto downstairs.

2. Room 39 (I would go to the original location on 39th Street.)

3. The R Bar (it's actually a restaurant and bar.)

4. Westport Cafe

5. Tannin Wine Bar (in addition to a truly impressive wine list, their food is epic as well.)

6. +1 on either La Bodega location

7. One of the best seafood restaurants that I have ever been to: Marina Grog and Galley