KE Jetronic Manual 87 Testarossa | FerrariChat

KE Jetronic Manual 87 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by deangpsx8, Dec 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C
    Hi All,
    It has been a while since I have been on the forum.
    I'm chasing a KE Jetronic manual for Testarossa.
    I found a Mondial/328 version online which was quite helpful in understanding how it all works.

If there is one out there, it would be appreciated.

The car was parked up for a couple of years due to covid lockdowns.
    Fuel pumps etc. all clogged.
    We did an engine out service.
    We reconditioned fuel distributors, injectors, replaced pumps and accumulators, thermal timer switch throttle sensors etc. but it idles poorly when cold and lacks power when warm.

Any ideas apart from the obvious which have been tried.
    I'm thinking the ECUs have a problem. I need to be able to understand the signals and voltages etc.

Any help would be great.

I'm an electronic engineer, so if the schematics to the ECUs are available I could probably fix them myself.

Thanks in advance.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    This link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/18bidr3sgbofytb/Workshop Manual Testarossa Supplement Catalytic Converter D61-D106.pdf?dl=0

will get you a pdf copy of the TR WSM section covering US version F113A040 engine TR (KE-Jet with Lambda). If you are dealing with an F113B engine TR (KE-Jet without Lambda) it will be very similar, but without the "with Lambda" stuff. Never seen any schematic information for what is inside the TR KE-Jet injection ECUs (of either type). If it is a F113B engine TR, do you have a copy of the 459/86 Wiring Diagram?

This was one of Bosch's general publication about KE-Jetronic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26bbwi0fkl592zd/Bosch KE-Jetronic Manual.pdf?dl=0

but every manufacturer has slightly different details in their implementation.

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    great steve, you are always very helpfull :)

4. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C
    Hi Steve, Thank you so much. You're the man I hear!
    I have a wiring diagram, just need to understand how it all links together so I can diagnose.

With a bit of luck I will keep you guys posted.

5. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C
    Hi Steve,
    I am struggling to understand how the fuel ECU gets its power.
    Is it only from the Tachometric relay?
    Is the power coming from the ignition ecu? or vice versa.

I am a little confused why the car isn't running right.
    I have had all the kjet fuel system reconditioned including pumps, accumulators, fuel lines, injectors, fuel distributor etc.
    All pressures are ok.

• Poor idle,
    • When warm runs fine
    • Loses power on acceleration.

Cold start injectors working fine
    Thermo time relay fine etc.

Any help would be welcome.
    Thanks Dean.

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    First, please confirm if you have K-Jet or KE-Jet.(you've written both in your posts).

Also, what is the engine family marking on the engine block above cylinder #6 -- should be something like F113A000 or F113A040 or F113B000, etc.?

7. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C
    Hi Steve,
    Engine number F113B*00103*

KE Jetronic (without Lambda sensors)
    1987 Single nut dual mirror

Thanks in advance

Dean

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #8 Steve Magnusson, Jan 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    OK, KE-Jet without Lambda (F113B or F113B000) -- the injection ECUs get their +12V power from the Protection Relay in the triangular black box over the RR wheel well (not the Tachometric Relay). The food chain is:

1, There is a GR (yellow-red) wire connected to the same large post on the Starter Solenoid as the big +12V battery cable,
    2. Goes thru the large round C12 connector on the triangular black box,
    3. Goes to terminal 30 of the Protection Relay
    4. Thru the 10A fuse of the Protection Relay
    5. Comes out terminal 87 of the Protection Relay (when the Protection Relay is closed -- which it should be whenever the starter motor is cranking or the engine is running. A signal from the Tachometric Relay closes the Protection Relay, but that same signal runs the fuel pump relays = if the engine will run at all, even badly = the Tachometric Relay is OK).
    6. The +12V power goes out the C12 connector to pin 1 of both injection ECUs,
    7. Then it goes on to the throttle idle microswitch and the red wire at the water thermoswitch.

Consequently, the best thing to do is measure the voltage on the red wire at the water thermoswitch when the engine is running, the starter motor is cranking, or you have "fooled" the Tachometric Relay to close (which closes the fuel pump relays and the Protection Relay) as per these instructions:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

If the red wire at the water thermoswitch is +12V (when the engine is running, the starter motor is cranking, or you have "fooled" the Tachometric Relay to close) = the Protection Relay system is working and the injection ECUs have +12V power (and any runability problem is something else - like the GR wire being broken from its loop terminal at the starter terminal, a bad connection in C12, a blown 10A fuse).

If the red wire at the water thermoswitch is not +12V (when the engine is running, the starter motor is cranking, or you have "fooled" the Tachometric Relay to close) = the Protection Relay system is not working and you have to determine why (it may be something other than the Protection Relay itself).

Chew on some that and give a shout back for what you find/measure. Unfortunately, if the car was tweaked up warm with the Protection Relay system not working, it will have to be retweaked up warm once the Protection Relay system is working.

PS Early Protection Relays had the 10A fuse built inside it so it wasn't replaceable/inspectable. I think a 1987 should be late enough to use the later style Protection Relay with the accessible/replaceable 10A fuse on the outside, but just wanted to mention this difference just in case.

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I put an edit in the wrong place- it should be:

If the red wire at the water thermoswitch is +12V (when the engine is running, the starter motor is cranking, or you have "fooled" the Tachometric Relay to close) = the Protection Relay system is working and the injection ECUs have +12V power (and any runability problem is something else).

If the red wire at the water thermoswitch is not +12V (when the engine is running, the starter motor is cranking, or you have "fooled" the Tachometric Relay to close) = the Protection Relay system is not working and you have to determine why (it may be something other than the Protection Relay itself - like the GR wire being broken from its loop terminal at the starter terminal, a bad connection in C12, a blown 10A fuse, etc.).

10. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C

11. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C
    Much appreciated.
    I'll report the findings when I hopefully sort this out.

Dean

12. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C
    Hi Steve,
    Protection relay fixed it in the end.
    Your help has been much appreciated.
    Dean

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Very good, but can you be more specific:

1. The Protection Relay itself was bad (and all else in the Protection Relay system was OK)

or

2. Some other problem in the Protection Relay system was preventing the Protection Relay from working? (and please describe what the problem was)

14. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C
    Hi Steve,
    The protection relay Ferrari Part No 617 662 00 was faulty and needed replacement.
    Interesting to note that the manufacturing date was 20-4-99 so it must have already been previously replaced.

Regards,

Dean