KIMI | Page 19 | FerrariChat

KIMI

Discussion in 'F1' started by johngtc, Aug 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Well, yes, but a different situation no...

Yes and no. Maybe the car is capable of those drives with say Vandoorne or Gasly also...If Ericsson isn't capable of delivering (and I've never had an indication he could deliver)...we don't know how much further the car can go?

Let me be clear here, I'm very impressed with Leclerc and followed his career when I first saw him race. He's extremely talented. I'd be surprised to not see him get on in the Ferrari. An extra year against a more serious teammate will not hurt him.

NEP likes this.
  2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I guess I'm not understanding your point regarding teammate. In the lower tier team orders are rare, unless the teammates are somewhat equal and end up clashing with each other (e.g. Ocon and Perez last yr). Leclerc is almost running on par with Haas now, even though it seems Haas is considered a better car. So either Leclerc is a superior driver to Grossjean/Mag, or Leclerc has played a major part in developing the Sauber over just half a season, or both. I'm betting on both, which means putting him in Haas for a yr before stepping up to the Scuderia may not be much benefit. Sauber would probably like him to stay there for another season if he starts regularly scoring points with their car. If he has been instrumental in helping improve the car then that argument for Kimi remaining at Ferrari goes out the window.

Regardless, he is fun to watch and will be someone to be reckoned with once in a top tier car.

Bas likes this.
  3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What I'm getting at is, we know that Ericsson isn't a great performer. Maybe the Sauber is a really good car, superior to the Haas even, and it should outperform the Haas every single race with ease. That's the question mark. We know that Kmag is a quicker guy than Ericsson, hence running Leclerc alongside him in equal machinery Ferrari can more accurately gauge him.

In this short time Leclerc will not have been instrumental to any Sauber development.

I fully agree with your last statement. He's obviously far from slow and has gelled with the Sauber very quickly, it took him a few races to figure the car out and he's been performing super ever since. He's made some mistakes (which is fine and something he should be doing, IMO), but they've gone a little bit unnoticed because he's not running in the top. If he's made those mistakes at Ferrari he'd be shown the door quite quickly.

When Kimi does leave the sport Leclerc is my favourite replacement.

NEP and Brian Johnson like this.
  4. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    I would be surprised if he hasn't. It's been reported he stays late with the team and is heavily involved in the set up changes. It doesn't take long for a smart driver to give the necessary inputs to develop quickly. Team morale responds heavily to an involved driver, at all levels of motorsport, and that helps development too. Speaking from experience, a good driver has a significant impact on how quick a car can progress.

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137546/sauber-not-ruling-out-raikkonen-2019-link

Sauber boss Fred Vasseur has not ruled out the suggestion that Kimi Raikkonen could return to the team where he started his Formula 1 career.

With Ferrari understood to be ready to promote protege and current Sauber driver Charles Leclerc into its main team for 2019, there has also been talk that the 2007 F1 world champion could move in the opposite direction.

Ferrari is understood to have the right to name one of the two Sauber drivers, and current Sauber third driver Antonio Giovinazzi is the obvious candidate as no other drivers in the Maranello junior programme are suitably qualified.

The suggestion is that the Sauber seat could instead be earmarked for Raikkonen as part of a package that keeps him within the Ferrari family if he is willing to continue his career into 2019.

6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    From a Andrew Benson post..

There is potentially a major change looming at Ferrari. President and chief executive officer Sergio Marchionne is ill and a board meeting is taking place today to discuss replacing him. It is expected that his position as president will be taken by John Elkann, who controls the parent Fiat Group, and chief executive officer will be Louis Carey Camilleri, a former boss of tobacco maker Philip Morris, the team’s main sponsor.

This could have huge ramifications on and off the track. Off it, it is not clear what might change, but Marchionne has been central to discussions about the shape of F1 post-2020. On it, it was Marchionne who was determined to promote Charles Leclerc, who last month agreed a deal to move to Ferrari next year.

But with Marchionne out of the frame, the situation could shift, and it certainly raises the chances of Kimi Raikkonen staying on - as Sebastian Vettel made it clear on Thursday he would prefer.

7. DF1

Shoulder issues for Sergio. The deal with Leclerc would have been passed to the board as well. There is so much speculation that much or nothing could change.

Bas likes this.
  8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not in this short time frame. Doesn't happen. Setup yes, but instrumental to the car devel0pment, nope.

9. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    What a pitty Ferrari has to decide before the end of the year...
    IF Seb wins the title this year there would be absolutley no need to change the drivers line-up for next year...but if he looses the title again maybe he needs to be pushed a little bit more by putting Leclerc into the second car.
    And I would like to see Kimi at Sauber and how he can perform free of all restraints being support driver as he is at Ferrari right now.

Bas likes this.
  10. DF1

+1!

Bas likes this.
  11. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't get that. Why should an operation on his shoulder make any difference. He's running the company not playing tennis for them! Surely more to it than that.

That said, I would be surprised if a change at the top of Ferrari would have much impact on plans for next season which, as you rightly say, would surely not be purely based on the presence or absence of one man.

Bas and william like this.
  12. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Quoting my own post because I see other reports that say 'massive complications resulting from shoulder surgery' which doesn't sound good.

13. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's concerning. Hope he pulls through.

All the best,
    Andrew.

14. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    After that race result you still want Kimi to go? He didn't **** the entire thing just because it was a little damp. Keep Kimi and get rid of Vettel. Pathetic.

johnk... likes this.
  15. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    After today I'm ready to get rid of both and bring in ricci and leclerc

16. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Did you not see Leclerc's 360? Lucky he didn't bin it there

17. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    He also went off track 30 seconds later.

18. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    It appeared Kimi is losing his taste for crow
    Did you notice how he spit it out before being interviewed
    Swallowing one's pride always leaves a nasty taste

19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    LeClerc had an awful race today. The 360 was epic though....nice save. Moving him to Ferrari IMO is too soon. Moving him up to HAAS against K-Mag is a good measure towards his improvement while noting he is putting pts on that Alfa-Sauber.

20. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    Despite Kimi's demeanor, I think he is the fastest alternative and I agree with whoever said he should be kept.

21. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    To Chuck Leclerc and Ferrari, going to Haas is a lateral move that doesn't make that much sense.

He goes to Ferrari in 2019 and Kimi goes out to pasture. I believe this arrangement to already be signed. Look to Monza for the announcement.

22. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I don't see the HAAS as a lateral move. It's a better car than the Alfa's so he can improve with them. Yes, waiting to here that announcement. I would be happy with whatever decision Ferrari makes.

stavura and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  23. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I can only think that Kimi is dyslexic and can't tell the difference between 1st and 3rd. After Vettle's crash Kimi should have been flogging his car to at least get 2nd. If he is this unmotivated driving the best car on the grid, he will only be worse in a mid pack car. Perhaps teaming him with Stroll would be a better match...that way Kimi would only have to fight for 19th.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He and Bottas where both on brand new ultras. Passing is hard. Who said he didn't try? I remind you that Verstappen was inches away from him...on brand new tyres. He also didn't pass. On top of that...one attempted pass on Bottas, getting blocked...would mean Verstappen gets his nose in and a podium was lost.

Can't win with the people here it seems.

NEP likes this.
  25. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017