Lake Forest Sportscars | FerrariChat

Lake Forest Sportscars

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by bounty, Mar 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    #1 bounty, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    This was my first visit to a Ferrari dealer...well, ever. Had a fantastic time walking around and taking all of the various models in. This is the first time seeing most of the models in person, and I've never been this close to any of them.

The show room is spacious and open and they had a great selection of production models on display and a few race cars. I'm not too familiar with the race cars, but they had a really awesome GTB race car on display that I spent about 10 minutes taking in.

I had never seen a 612 in person, but I must say it looks much much better in person and is striking. They had a couple of 355's and I'm sorry to say, they were the best looking cars there. An amazing special red colored F430 too that would be the one I'd want to drive home given a choice :)

I didn't even bother walking through the Aston Martin area. I love the cars, but they all kind of look the same to me.

I also met a nice gentleman walking around who was a Porsche owner and a white F430 with red interior and black wheels was tugging at his heart(and wallet). I told him about Ferrarichat and told him to visit. I hope he does, he was in there with his son taking in all of the cars and seemed like a true enthusiast taking everything in. We visited a while and admired the cars together. That was nice to share that passion. We talked about the posters of the cars we had on our wall as kids. I think there's something about Ferraris that shave off about 20 years of your life when you're around them.

I had an urge to go up to everyone there and ask if they were members of Ferrarichat...but I deferred knowing that a lot of people there don't want to be bothered and very few probably post or lurk here.

Despite stopping by in my ripped jeans and a Jameson T-shirt, I was still asked if I needed any help. Thanks guys, but not right now. Maybe in about 6 years after I've bought a home and have some extra money laying around. I suggest anyone in the Chicago area to go and stop in. Very cool way to spend a Saturday. If anybody ever wants to meet up there some weekend, let me know and I'd be happy to meet some other car enthusiasts.

Travis

2. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I used to go into LFSC when I was in high school...and therefore obviously NOT a customer (or related to one), everyone there was and is always very cool to me.

...highly recommend them.

3. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Where do you buy from then?

4. webster132

webster132 Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Chicago/Malibu
    Full Name:
    David
    I originally had a great experience with LFSC as well. The first time I was there, I came with a friend looking to buy an Aston Martin. I wasn't shopping for any car and even told the sales person that I wasn't in the market. She said never mind and handed me the keys for a test drive anyway. I was very impressed.

I always liked dealing with the sales staff there. Cassie, Dan, Tyler were all gracious and non-car dealer like. Big thumbs up.

Their service department on the other hand was always terrible. While I was still buying cars there, I would constantly have trouble getting things done and cars that were supposedly ready for pickup turned out to have glaring faults and omissions. Several friends who've bought cars from them had the same story. Astons that had to be taken in 4 times for the same issue. Ferraris with real issues that were downplayed or tried ignored.

For me it all culminated in the massive blow-up as detailed at http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225357. So obviously I have an axe to grind from my terrible personal experience, but it certainly doesn't stand alone.

The grander point is that selecting a dealership should be a two-part decision: 1) Do I like the sales people I have to deal with and 2) can I trust their service department to take care of me. LFSC regularly scores highly on number 1, but then blow it on number 2. Unfortunately, you'll rarely learn about this until it's your car that is having issues and you're left out to dry. By then a great sales experience quickly fades from memory.

Buyer beware.

5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    By now everyone here knows your opinion of LFSC,bad experience with them seems to be exclusive to you only though as I don't recall anyone else having such trouble as you did.
    I am sorry you had such a bad experience but you really don't need to remind everyone about it in EVERY post you make that has anything to do with Chicago market or LFSC in particular.
    The thread starter had a fun weekend and wants to share it,let's not try to spoil it.

6. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Been out of town for a bit, or would still shop there. Quick story ... circa 87-88 - 328's running like a champ, hear a subtle snap behind me, check the gauges and the water temp. pegs. Shut it off - call LFSC, they're about to close (it's a Saturday). They send a flatbed and wait for the car. Forgot the precise ailment, but not a small one. Car's off warranty (just - think you only got a year then?) but because it was a bolt that snapped (faulty part) that caused the issue, LFSC consulted w/FNA and the car was repaired gratis. Detailed, too. Didn't have to do that, glad they did.

7. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    #7 Carsleuth, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Glad to hear! Everyone there is fantastic. I was there today. I might have just missed you. I was there around 11 looking at the new Carbon Black Edition DBS :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. webster132

webster132 Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Chicago/Malibu
    Full Name:
    David
    This is exactly why I keep bringing it up. After I wrote the original post, I had lots of people PM'ing me directly or in-person about their similar bad experiences. But those stories are very rarely told in public, so all you get to see is the cherry-go-around. That's obviously not the full story.

I'm still out the $40,000 or so the LFSC ordeal cost me. The bad PR debt is far from paid off, but I'll be sure to keep extracting payment whenever the opportunity offers it whether online or in-person.

All that said, I really am happy that he got a great showing of some pretty cars and the sales people didn't treat him badly because he was young or because of the clothe he was wearing. LFSC has always been good about that. Cheers!

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Your personal problem with LFSC is just that ,"personal".
    You've had plenty of uninterrupted opportunity to inform everyone here about it but I am sorry to inform you that you will not be allowed to use this Forum to extract your vendetta against that dealer indefinitely.
    You've had your say and now let's move on,shall we?

10. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    ... would add that I came to pick-up the car fully expecting to assume the position. Though LFSC had taken it upon itself to contact FNA on behalf of this customer. An "N/C" on the bill was a pleasant surprise indeed. Jerry Corsini was the tech (not sure if he's still there) - and the car always stayed true to any service performed.

11. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I was there a few days ago.
    I'd steal that 246 GT they had in a heart beat!

12. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    With all due respect to the moderator, many here may not know that it's not all as rosy as it seems dealing with the outfit in question. There and now, it's not a bad thing to remind the unscrupulous before they deal with a retail facility like this. Im mean it's like not like a Kia is what's being sold or serviced there. I think the consumer deserves to hear all stories, good or bad. I too had a terrible experience there. Amazingly, they left me out to dry. They lost a client for life! I have spend about $1.2M on cars after that dealing with other outfits, so you do the math...

Geno.

13. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I have no problem with anyone reporting his bad experience with one dealer or another.
    I just don't want to see this Forum turned into a tool for waging a personal vendetta against one particular dealer that overall is well respected in our community.
    Constant rehashing and repeated posting of a link to the same story that allegedly happened quite some time ago is just that,a personal vendetta.
    Webster132's words:
    "The bad PR debt is far from paid off, but I'll be sure to keep extracting payment whenever the opportunity offers it whether online or in-person."

14. webster132

webster132 Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Chicago/Malibu
    Full Name:
    David
    That's exactly the problem. Whenever a thread comes up that's all rah-rah these guys are great, that's the latest impression that's made. Someone new to the community would come in, see that, and conclude that all is well.

This is similar to the problems that has come up with Luxury Motors that also has a shady past. Someone posts "hey, I was in there looking at car X.. place looked great!". Now if you had a terrible experience with LM, wouldn't you want to share that? Even though there might have been LM threads in the past?

Geno, glad to hear that you too took the consequence of your bad experience and took your dollars somewhere else. As a consumer that's the best you can do. Spend elsewhere and warn others.

15. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Always been treated very well when I go there, even though I'm not yet in the market to purchase. Big thumbs up to everyone who works there.

A little off topic, anyone going to the F1 viewing party there on Sunday for Australia?

16. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    #16 speed racer, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
    I personally have never purchased or even visited LFSC. But I have had discussions with various members of this forum privately who have been less than happy with its owner and management. The stories i have heard are from well known members and owners who have had a long love hate relationship with LFSC. They have never aired these stories publically and any information passed on to me was to be held in confidence. Anyone who is considering buying and servicing a ferrari from any dealership should be able to hear both the good and the bad. Newer members of this forum unfamiliar with the search options may not find everything they need to know. So refreshing topics from time to time that give equal balance to the pros and cons of dealing with any dealership are important. That being said kicking the same dog over and over becomes boring and malicious over time. Any buyer should do his homework and investigate any dealership he plans on doing businss with.

17. Rosso Corsa

Rosso Corsa Karting

Jan 24, 2006
    No.Fork Long Island
    Full Name:
    Lee
    4 years ago I purchased from LFSC a 1987 328 GTS, dealth with Adam Mancuso, nothing but a great experience, from pick me up at the airport to the shipping of the car!!!! First class!!!!!

18. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    As a public forum, all posts are welcome obviously, but the point of this thread really has nothing to do with whether someone should buy from them or get their cars serviced there. I was just simply sharing the great experience I had visiting the establishment and looking at all of the cars on display. There are plenty of other posts in this section that deal with this dealership in regards to service and sales that you can sift through.

The point of this thread was simple - If you are a car enthusiast in the area and you haven't been to LFSC yet and have an afternoon to kill - I'd recommend taking a drive and checking them out...they have cars to look at that any enthusiast can appreciate.

19. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Thank you.

20. RDzingel

RDzingel Karting

Jan 16, 2008
    I want to hear Webster's story.

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Hi,

It's all explained in the link he posted here.

22. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    And please keep in mind there are two sides to everything.

23. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Stick to the original thread,at least please respect Bounty's wish as original poster.
    There is no place in this thread for rehashing any other old stories, if anyone attempts to do so I will just remove completely any old links and close this discussion.
    Enough is enough....

24. RDzingel

RDzingel Karting

Jan 16, 2008
    Who do you think you are anyway? The King of conversation? Lay off already. Jeez.

25. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    \/\/o\/\/

Who's the one with the vendetta?