Launch X431 and a 550 Maranello | FerrariChat

Launch X431 and a 550 Maranello

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dennis_maine, Apr 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    So, I just got a rather well-used 550. It runs fine, but the check engine and the suspension lights are on, so I hooked up my Launch device (with which I have very little experience) only to find that it can't communicate with anything. It performs the scan I request, but says the module isn't present, or words to that effect. The Blue Tooth dongle is connected; the blue and green LEDs flicker as you would expect, but no one's home. I tried the Launch device on my 5 series, and it does communicate, so the fault must be in the 550.

My question is: does anyone know what this is, or is likely to be? My first thought is a dead ECU, but it does seem to run OK. Any ideas or thoughts will be appreciated.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The launch device starting coverage on Ferraris on the 575 .. it still should have the ability to read codes using the generic eobd button

What version of x431 do you have

Maybe post some screen shots

Are you doing a health scan ?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I think if you search fatbillybob threads started I had that problem once. It was like serial communication could not be made and yeilds an OBD generic P code but I can't remember the issue or the solution but I found one.

I don't know what the X431 does but 1st thing I would check is if with a generic obd2 reader with or without blue tooth dongle into the obd2 port , do you have communication? Can you read codes? It is possible that there are still a few OBD ports still left disconnected for which there is a TSB to tell you how to reconnect the obd2 port.

On suspension there are many threads. Posts and threads by FerrariDriver are the important ones. He did the heavy lifting on figuring out the diagnosis and solutions. A quick start is to make sure the actuators in the front are not all wound up as they spin and twist the wires until they stop working. There is a process for actuator testing. These cars are 20 years old and a bad shock will throw a suspension code. The system self learns and self corrects and all lights go off when each component of the system is functioning properly.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #4 f355spider, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Many Ferraris up to 2004, have a ground wire pin missing on the OBDII port that prevents communication. You might check and see that the service campaign was performed on your car. Even if it wasn't, you can probably add the pin yourself. I've attached the service campaign notice. This may, or may not be your issue.

"Service Campaign No. 148, OBD-II Connector applies to all Ferrari vehicles
    produced between 1996 and 2004 calendar year for the North America market.
    Immediately contact any Authorized Ferrari Dealer with your VIN in order to
    arrange an appointment for your vehicle. This upgrade procedure is at no
    cost to you. It is a correction of the ground in your SD2 connector which
    can lead to false readings and improper diagnosis. If scheduled properly,
    could be done while you wait and would take less than 1 hour."

Attached Files:

Il Tifoso and flash32 like this.
  5. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I downloaded the most recent software yesterday. I will post some screenshots as soon as I can. I'll also look at the ground wire issue. That seems promising.

I have three hand-held OBDII readers but I don't think any of them cover Ferrari. When they power up they offer a list of cars but not Ferrari. Is there a hand-held reader that anyone can recommend?

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There's quite a bit of 550 OBD reader information already in that dedicated section - maybe worth a look ?

7. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    I'll look. Thanks.

8. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
  9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Have you been able to confirm the ground pin is not missing on your OBD2 plug? Use the document I attached to verify by comparing the picture with what you have.

10. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    Thank you. I plan to do that tomorrow.

11. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    Pins 4 and 5 are connected to ground. At this point I know that the X431 works fine on my 5 series and my GMC. It does not work on my 360 Modena or 550 Maranello. I know others have used this device on their cars. I'm hoping someone out there knows what to do to make it work.

f355spider likes this.
  12. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Have you tried rolling back the software version number in the updates menus?

I have 10.80 and it will only connect to one ECU (left) on my 360. If I use 10.25 it will connect to both perfectly.
    To connect to the gearbox TCU I use the CFC231 from the 430 menu (CFC231 CS TCU). In 10.80 they’ve added CF231 to the 360 gearbox menu but it isn’t complete as it has not got the special functions menu.

13. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    Thank you so much for this information! I will try it first chance I get (which may be a while due to other issues).