Leak Around Water Pump | FerrariChat

Leak Around Water Pump

Discussion in '360/430' started by dennis_maine, Sep 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    The car is a 1999 360 Modena with 19,000 miles. I have just replaced the timing and accessory belts. I also replaced the water pump because there was a very slight bit of side play in the shaft. After everything was buttoned up, I was refilling with new coolant when I noticed a puddle of antifreeze on the floor. Subsequent investigation revealed it was coming from behind the water pump where there had been no leak before I replaced it. I replaced item 16 with a rebuilt pump from an European supplier. Also a new O ring (item 17, included with the pump) was installed. When I pulled the pump off to investigate, the O ring was seated and intact. Everything looked fine to me. The question is: has anyone had this happen to them? What was the solution? I'm thinking of using gasket sealer around the mounting flange as well as a new O ring, even though the WSM doesn't call for it. What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Just curious, is there anyway the leak could have been coming from the bleeder on top of the thermostat housing? (#9)

3. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    No, it is definitely coming from the o-ring area.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Fit the o ring on its own in the seating area, see if it looks to be seating the same around its full diameter, I don’t know this engine but wondering if a bit of the casing has corroded and been removed on the old ring.

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    just sent you a PM.