Leaking Testarossa Heater Matrix Hoses - Help? | FerrariChat

Leaking Testarossa Heater Matrix Hoses - Help?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MaseratiMike, Dec 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks like my 1986 Testarossa cabin heater feed hoses are leaking, as there is a pool of coolant underneath the front left side of the car and middle section at the side skirt edge underneath…

Any idea how to access and replace the hoses and is it a nightmare? I assume I would have to take off the front left wheel arch and wheel for starters, but what about accessing the rest of the hoses running along the chassis?

Thanks in advance

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Main heater supply hose from engine runs up central frame tube with AC hoses. It terminates inside car above pass feet. Return hose goes same way. No heater hoses on left side. It may be a leak from left radiator or hoses running down left rocker to front.

3. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the reply Brian

Hmmm as it’s definitely engine coolant leaking and is more so from the front left side just before the wheel arch (drivers side as it’s a left hand drive car)… what could it be? As the rear left hand side radiator doesn’t appear to be leaking and dry.

Before I get the car on ramps etc. To access the AC and heater pipes & Matrix, are there chassis plates to unbolt on the underside to gain access?

Happy new year to you.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No. The bottom is pretty solid. The entire heater assembly is in the interior under the dash. There is a drain hose for AC condensate under the car. Look there. The hoses enter a frame tube between the fuel tanks and exit that tube below the console very near the shifter.

turbo-joe and MaseratiMike like this.
  5. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok thanks I will have to investigate further and will report back what I find…

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Replacing the heater hoses running up the center tunnel. Attach new hoses to old at engine, Silicone lube new hoses. Pull old old hose out from pass foot well.

MaseratiMike likes this.
  7. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great thanks for the useful tip. I’m hoping it’s not the heater matrix which is leaking…

I assume I have to remove the dashboard to get to the heater matrix?

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Another possibility and its way better than a leaky heater running out the condensate drain hose.

The frame tube the heater hoses run through isn't sealed. It is an upside down "U" with only the riveted on belly panel covering it. It is possible a leaking hose could find another escape route. If that is the case it should run out the back where the hoses enter, between the fuel tanks. If you elevate the front and pressure test the system you will know. The hoses are not hard to change. The heater assembly is decidedly not.

MaseratiMike likes this.
  9. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Many Thanks…another thing for me to try. Will have a look over the next few days and report back.

10. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Happy new year all.

I had a further investigation this morning and looks like you may be correct, there is a pool of coolant on the floor and wet area on the chassis between the fuel tanks and back firewall/engine compartment area. So would assume it is indeed perished heater hoses running in the middle of the car to the front cabin..

The drivers floor area and carpets are dry, so hopefully its a case of the leaking coolant finding it’s way out.

Is there any dimensions and specifications available for the replacement hoses, such as lengths+diameter, couplings or is it just hose clips each end etc.?

I assume best course of action is to use silicon hoses for longevity?

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Conventional hose clamps. I see no need for special expensive hose, The hose in it has lasted well over 30 years. Does it really need 60 year hose? Don't know about you but I won't be around that long.

I do not recall size but I'd get a roll of it. The tube it runs up is pretty crowded with other hoses so I'd attach new to old and use the old hose to pull the new in.

MaseratiMike likes this.
  12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when I remember right the hoses are 20 mm - but not sure

MaseratiMike likes this.
  13. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Appreciate all your valuable help. There’s a good point about using expensive silicon hoses as the current hoses have lasted 36 years and doubt I will keep the car that long either!

Will measure up and get some hose ordered.

14. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The fittings in the engine bay for the long hoses are 16mm diameter (not including the sealing bulge) -- i.e., the long hoses are "16 mm ID" hoses (although the free diameter of a hose is usually a little smaller than the "nominal" diameter). It gets a little weird up by the hot water valve (which has 20mm diameter fittings) so they use an expander fitting, 124030, and a short piece of 20mm hose (see TAV 57 in the TR SPC) to connect one long hose to the hot water valve (and then a 20mm hose from the other hot water valve fitting over to the HVAC unit fitting). The other 16mm long hose connects directly to a 16mm fitting on the HVAC unit (i.e., the two fittings for the hot coolant hoses on the HVAC unit are two different sizes).

Word of warning -- don't not get the two long hoses swapped around. The coolant flow direction thru the hot water valve has to match the arrow on the hot water valve -- otherwise, the hot water valve can't keep itself closed so you will get heat all the time.

MaseratiMike likes this.
  15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sorry, thaught all are 20 mm. long time ago I was working at the heating

MaseratiMike likes this.
  16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I installed a manual valve also at the electric water valve. It defaults to open. It would rarely open and heat the cabin in summer.

MaseratiMike likes this.
  17. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Brilliant, really useful information and help - much appreciated all. I will take some photos of the job to help others in future too. Will now get some hoses ordered and fittings etc.

18. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Find somebody with long, skinny, flexible hands and arms that likes working in upside down positions.

MaseratiMike likes this.
  19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel