Learning different models, PPIs, info overload! | FerrariChat

Learning different models, PPIs, info overload!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by A12pilot, Feb 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Guys,

Being new to the Ferrari world, as I’m starting to do more research my tastes are all over the place. Which is a good thing since the more they change the more I learn! I am looking at several 348 Spiders, and now the more I look at them, the more I’m falling for the 328 GTS. The lines, the classic looks, it’s a stunning car that I never fully appreciated before.

Having said that, in the next few months, one will make it to my garage but I’m undecided which one. I guess it’ll depend on whatever car I find is better since I’d love to have either. When I bought a 97 Viper GTS, I had a friend do a pre-buy on it who’s an extremely knowledgeable Viper enthusiast. Looking back at that, other than a set of eyes on a car I knew nothing about, everything that the pre-buy found was stuff I was expecting to do anyway: old seals, gaskets, fluids, etc. It was nice to have that set of eyes looking at a car I really was just learning about.

I’ve restored several 60s muscle cars and basically tore that Viper down to a short block replacing everything 1997 with fresh new things. So mechanics, paint, interior...those are nothing that scare me if service is needed. But, the unknown “Ferrarisms” is what I’m trying to learn about with those models. Not having a contact in the Ferrari world, who does good PPIs? If buying from a dealer, would most reputable ones do a complete and thorough inspection for client or are most just,”Lights work, horn goes beep....so, how are you going to pay?” And with that, is there a sheet/checklist for a pre-buy that’s model specific?

Thanks for the help guys! I’m close to being able to buy one after our house is finished in May!

Cheers
    Dave