LED Headlight conversion (from Xenons) | FerrariChat

LED Headlight conversion (from Xenons)

Discussion in '360/430' started by hessank, May 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Was there any cutting involved?
    All the Vendors call their LED systems 'plug & play'

Someone on Ferrari life who did it wrote, " Picked up a set of D2S HID bulbs on E-bay and installed them tonight. OEM bulbs are 4800k which are kinda yellow like normal halogen bulbs. ........... Super easy install! Plugged right in ".

How could it plug right in. I want to be sure before I take the wheels off.

Here is my issue pictorially

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    There aren't any LED conversion kits that I know of that is plug and play with factory HID connectors. I've done halogen (H1-13, 9005-9007) bulb type to LED and those are easy.

I moved my HID C63 D1S bulbs to my F430 for the 6k blue/white output. What you have is a kit that a professional has to cut and connect to make it work with factory connector, not exactly plug and play when converting to LED.

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Is your car a 360 or an F430?

My car is an F430 and I am not aware of anyone yet that has successfully upgraded their Xenon headlights to LED's.

4. egi

egi Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    Hi,

Do yourself a favor and get either one of the two OEM approved 5000k (whiter) HID bulbs. LEDs arent designed for our projectors and would appear scattered. Useless for the road, I can assure you 100%. In the F430, the bulb is a D1S not a D2S which is more common in Japanese cars. Not sure about the 360 which is what's in your profile pic. Also, stock is 4300k not 4800k.

Osram CBI D1S (5500k)
    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-parts/hid-bulbs-d-series/d1s-osram-xenarc-66144-66140-cbi.html

Philips White Vision D1S (5000k)
    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-parts/hid-bulbs-d-series/philips-85415-whv2-white-vision.html

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks Egi

My 360 has Xenons D2S that are slightly yellowish.
    You maybe right about the LEDs but I can also assure you that the OEM bulb in there sucks also when it comes to lighting the path ahead.
    This and the horns were disappointments for me which I want to correct this summer.

So what I'll do then is try to find a better D2S bulb. I see from your linky that Morimoto sells one called a D2S Stroke.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  6. egi

egi Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    No prob. It's the projector design that's at fault, not the bulb. So a new HID bulb would only improve it slightly. Swapping to LEDs (if possible) would render it useless.