Let´s talk about Boxing | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Let´s talk about Boxing

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zzono, Dec 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    100% with you on that one. Márquez doesn't have a chance IMO.

I really want to see Mayweather go up against Pacquiao.

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yep, I am off to watch it in a few hours. :D:D

I got my money on Mayweather. ;);)

Lol! :p:p

+1 on Mayweather! :D:D

Would also LOVE to see Mayweather vs Pacquiao!! :D:D

That would be an excellent fight! :):)

3. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  4. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've ordered the fight and am waiting for the Main event. I'll keep you guys updated.

5. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've ordered the fight and am waiting for the Main event. I'll keep you guys updated.

6. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mayweather dominated Marquez... period. He was too fast and dead on with the jab. (59% to be exact)

The highlight of the event was when Shane Mosley got in the ring and challenged Mayweather to a fight live. Mayweather was pissed. HBO had a dumbass interviewer that kept repeating dumb questions.

Forget Pacquiao/Mayweather--it will not happen--Pacquiao would be stupid to do it, Mayweather would pick him apart.

Mayweather's ego will not let Mosley's punk out go unanswered. Unless Mosley juices up again I would say Mayweather would tear him up also.

Say what you want about Mayweather's ego and flashy style but he is an excellent Boxer.

7. coverland

coverland Formula 3

Apr 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Yeah, no kidding. Max Kellerman and his interviews belong in the UFC.

...I can't say I support his attitude, but it's incredible what Mayweather did tonight. The highest percentage of punches landed... his opponent with the lowest percentage of punches landed (in recent memory).

Pac-Man would be demolished by Mayweather... Mosley would be the only fight worth watching, because of Mosley's size... but the speed of Mayweather- it can't be beat.

-Colin

8. Vuongnguyen05

Vuongnguyen05 Karting

May 16, 2008
    Mayweather dominated Marquez right from the get go. The Pac Man may put up a better fight but in the end will get killed like Marquez. As for Mosley, I think he will do the best against Floyd, due to his size and strength, but will fall to Mayweather due to his tremendous speed and boxing IQ. Mosley should be next and then one final fight against the Pac Man to end his epic career.

9. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Márquez never had a chance. Mayweather was too quick and too accurate. Márquez looked like he gave it his all while Mayweather looked relaxed, as if it was effortless to him. Yeah, he lost, but Márquez is a great fighter and he should be proud of his performance. Mayweather proved, once again, that he's the best pound-for-pound fighter out there.

That interviewer was an idiot. I thought it was pretty funny when Mayweather told him that he talked too much :D Mosley is a joke. I would be genuinely surprised if Mayweather accepts his challenge.

BRING ON PACQUIAO!!! :D

10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Sorry guys, I have 2 eyes and they both can only watch one show @ a time. So I chose to watch U.F.C. I just felt from the begining that this was gonna be a mis-match. I'm NOT a mayweather fan AT ALL and thinks and HOPES Mosley will kick his a**!!!! I'm a true Historian of the fight game and understand how difficult it is to KO someone, But all those punches and a knockdown in the 2nd?... He couldn't finish the 135lb. champ? All due respect to Marquez, but comm'on...I don't know... Is this the best boxing got? They have to match up a 147 vs a 135lb'er. It's too bad. I'd love to see the PPV numbers. U.F.C. 103 vs Mayweather/Marquez. Also, Boxing's undercard was pretty good last night. Back in the 70' & 80's the cards were ALWAYS stacked. They need to keep doing that. That helps sell shows.
    I hope Boxing is not done.

11. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Did Mayweather say Mosely is a joke? or are you just saying that?

12. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm just saying that :D I think the way Mosley challenged him immediately after the fight was innapropriate and disrespectful. Mayweather was clearly offended. Mosley is bigger than Mayweather, but he's older and not nearly as quick. If Mayweather accepts the challenge I think it will be another mismatch. Mosley is asking for trouble.

13. lurker80

lurker80 Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    no one wants to see paul williams fight floyd? lol

he has fought at 147lbs, 154, 160, 168lbs lol i think at 168 tho im not sure

i know once he fought at 147 and the day of the fight on the unofficial scales his weight was like 166lbs lol

14. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I think Mosley would beat Mayweather. mosley hits harder and is almost as fast.

15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Mayweather outclassed Marquez, plain and simple! :):)

He did well and he made it look easy. :D:D

A Mayweather/Mosely fight would be nice to see also! :D:D

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Well, I got me some tickets to this fight. :D:D

But........all the ringside seats were "pre-sold". :mad::mad:

How crap is that!!! I am sitting in the B-reserve seats now. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But its all good, I am sure it will be a great atmosphere and a great fight! :D:D

17. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    100% agree!

18. ruxp

ruxp Karting
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2009
    Williams isn't coming back down to 147. It's a miracle he ever made that weight.

Mosley hits harder and is almost as fast, but he doesn't have Floyd's fundamentals and isn't a pure boxer like Floyd. If De La Hoya (he won his second fight with Mosley imo) & Cotto could outbox Mosley, I don't understand why people think Mayweather Jr - who is on another level entirely - can't.

Floyd's saying 60/40, 147 lbs and the Pac fight takes place. Those are reasonable terms, but let's see if Pacquiao can get past Cotto first. If he does, I hope Roach doesn't ***** out and not let Pac fight him - even though Floyd would outclass Pac from beginning to end.

19. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Floyd will beat Pac. & Cotto. I don't think he could beat Mosely! Mayweather doesn't have a decent punch. Slap,Slap,Slap. Mosely is quick enough if he catches FM he WILL hurt him. Look @ his KO percentage. VERY HIGH!!!!!Plus Mosely is a TRUE WW. Not some of these lightweights coming up in weight just to make big money fights. FM vs Marquez was Pathetic! What was the matchmaker thinking.

20. ruxp

ruxp Karting
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2009
    What're you talking about? PBF does NOT slap and his fist is always closed when punching. His punches are extremely straight, quick, and accurate - they're freaking lasers, and those are the kind of punches that have more sting on them than would appear. He doesn't have the power to hurt Mosley, but he definitely has enough power to keep him honest, and he has the speed and skill to make sure he doesn't land in the first place. Shane is bigger, but as we've already seen, that really doesn't matter much.

Everything Shane does, Floyd does it better. If the fight happens, I go with Li'l Floyd by UD 116-112. And I'll put money on that.

21. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #96 ag512bbi, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    Keep him honest???? He could barley HURT a 130lb. fighter. Shane's been in with BIG BANGERS and I mean BIG. What's Flyod gonna do? Hurt him? He can't bang!!!!!! and you know it, that's why you pick a UD. Run and Tap maybe he'll pull of a win. But's that's it.

22. ruxp

ruxp Karting
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2009

He doesn't have to "hurt" Shane, and yeah, he probably won't be able to. Shane has a good chin and Floyd is a much smaller guy, so that's to be expected. Obviously I picked UD; has Shane ever been stopped in his entire career? No, and like you said, he's fought much bigger/stronger guys than Floyd. Duh.

Keeping someone honest doesn't mean hurting them, just being able to hit hard enough that the opponent is going to think twice about charging in recklessly. Floyd definitely has the power to do that. He won't hurt Shane, but he will be able to get his attention, take him off balance, keep him from getting his feet set, etc.

If Floyd's punches were meaningless, guys like Hatton & De La Hoya (who also had a very good chin) would've walked through them. But they didn't. Hatton was a huge 140 lber who was undefeated when he fought Floyd, and he got KTFO.

Regardless, boxing isn't always about hurting the other guy, it's about hitting and not being hit. If you can't appreciate the sweet science and Floyd's mastery of the art, go watch Toughman contests or MMA.

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #98 ag512bbi, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
    EVERYBODY knew Hatton would go down early. I made money on that fight. Again a lighter weight fighter that FM fought. Believe me im not saying i don't respect FM boxing skills and he is great. But so was pernell Whitaker. All they want to do is win UDs. He reminds me of Pernell. FM quit boxing for 2 reasons. Paul Williams & Antonio Margarito!!!! PERIOD! Regarding ur toughman comment, im a boxing historian that has over 1000 fights on tape. I know what I see. and understand the art VERY well. These are my opinions. Im not always right but this is the way i see it, Boxing is going down hill FAST and MMA has passed it up already. when a Marquez fights 2 weight classes up against a retired FM or a Jones Jr. fights a Hopkins a decade or 2 later, this is BAD for boxing. The match ups you have in MMA are MUCH better. plus the whole card is STACKED!!!!!! HBO doesn't even show undercard fights anymore. UNDERCARD WHO??????? So your MMA comment is accurate. Way more mainstream and not one dimensional. And thats why I have been training MMA for over 10 yrs!!!! remember, boxing has only 4 punches. MMA is has it all. Do you actually watch MMA? Do you enjoy it?

24. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    EVERYBODY knew Hatton would go down early. I made money on that fight. Again a lighter weight fighter that FM fought. Believe me im not saying i don't respect FM boxing skills and he is great. But so was pernell Whitaker. All they want to do is win UDs. He reminds me of Pernell.

25. ruxp

ruxp Karting
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2009
    1. Hatton didn't go down early, he went down in the 10th round after taking a sustained beating.

2. Hatton was not smaller than Floyd. He was bigger than him. This is something a lot of casual fans and sportswriters missed.

Pernell & Floyd have two very different styles. They're only similar in the sense that they're both defensively very good, and even in that regard, they have very different styles of defense (Floyd is a conventional textbook defender, Pernell had a make-you-miss-in-the-pocket style all his own).

All Floyd wants to do is win decisions, yet he somehow has a 63% KO ratio? Do you think Sugar Ray Robinson only wanted to "win UDs" because he had the same KO ratio as Floyd? Most great boxers are versatile enough to win a fight via decision or KO. They don't NEED to win by one particular method every single time.

Pernell is one of the most amazing fighters I've ever seen, btw. Low KO ratio, but it was fun as hell to watch him clown talented guys like Chavez & De La Hoya & make it look easy.

I really don't think Floyd gave a **** about Margarito. He wouldn't lose to him even if Margacheato kept the plaster in his gloves. Paul Williams would be a tough fight, but then, Paul Williams also got outboxed by Carlos Quintana.

A boxing historian that thinks every fight should end via knockout?

The undercard for Mayweather-Marquez was stacked. That fight also went up against an MMA show and kicked its ass in terms of numbers. So I think the whole "boxing is surpassed by MMA" argument is a little bit out of touch with what's actually happening.

I agree Jones Jr-Hopkins is a crap fight at this point. Should've taken place in 1999.

As for boxing having four punches, that's a gross oversimplification.

MMA is crap imo, I don't enjoy it at all.