Liability insurance or umbrella for pilot? | FerrariChat

Liability insurance or umbrella for pilot?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by bpu699, Apr 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Alright just trying to learn before I commit to a new hobby...

I have State Farm for everything, short of commercial properties. I recall when getting my umbrella policy, I was asked if I fly planes, skydive, or do deep dive scuba... I didn’t.

Does becoming a pilot somehow risk your other liability or umbrella coverage? Will they cancel you?

I assume State Farm umbrella doesn’t cover flight liability, or does it?

Local flight school waivers mention that students need to purchase insurance to cover the airframe, and liability. Is that easy to get? Reasonably priced?

For some reason, I assumed while flying as a student with a certified pilot, their insurance or the planes master insurance carried liability... much like with a car. If I have a company vehicle, you get and insurance policy that covers all users...with a car...

Can anyone shed some info on this? I have never seen liability and frame insurance listed under the costs of any pilots license article...

2. Joey4420

Joey4420 Rookie

Apr 6, 2018
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Joey Shreve
    Once you have the Coverage if you start going for you Pilot Cert now, then at the time it was written it was accurate. I am sure it would mean more money or a no go for insurance. I don't believe they will cancel you.

I would go through one of the major aviation insurance companies to get Aircraft Liability Insurance.

Airframe and liability insurance is very easy to get and not very expensive compared to some coverage. I would recommend joining the EAA or AOPA, then looking at insurance through them. I pay $622 a year for $28k in Hull (airframe) and $1 million in Liability on my Ercoupe. When renting pay for the cost of the plane you plan to rent even if they have coverage if you want to be safe and not worry about their insurance coming after you. When I went through training 3 years ago I have $100k in Hull and $1 Million in Liability it cost me around $1000, if I recall correctly.

The reason you never see it in the costs for a pilots cert is it is not a requirement it is just smart to get.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have an umbrella liability policy from Chubb. I don't think it covers aviation, though. I have separate aviation insurance for my airplanes.

However, you can (and should) get is renter's insurance. Avemco and others make it available pretty cheaply. The flight school where my kids learned to fly required it, and in fact required a specific level of coverage depending on the airplane type. You can google it and find plenty of sources-- it's fairly cheap and available online.

jcurry likes this.