Limited slip diff plates source? | FerrariChat

Limited slip diff plates source?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JohnMH, Dec 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I have decided to take the plunge and replace the welded original differential case on my 91 TR with a billet case from Newman. Assuming that 51,000 km have worn the original plates somewhat, does anyone have a source for OEM friction and steel plates used in the case and perhaps even the Belleville springs?

I understand they are ZF parts? Does anyone have ZF part numbers?

Regards to all.

2. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    You might check with Newman on this.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You wont need plates but if you really insist then I can get them.

4. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks. My intent is to gather all the bits before the car is disassembled, to minimize down time. My understanding of the LSD is limited; I assume that when rotating one rear wheel by hand, the other wheel should rotate in the opposite direction, as with an open differential, as the LSD plates on both sides are engaged equally, thereby sending the torque applied through the differential?

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I have here a broken diff with the plates ok. diff had only 21000 km. if you need send me a pm

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Limited slip means that both wheels should turn in the same direction when rotating one and that their ability to turn independently (or slip) is limited by the constant engagement of the clutches due to spring pressure. When I have the diff's out I coat the plates with moly grease and gear oil before transferring the internals to the new housing.

7. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks for the offer of the plates. Will look and advise. Just so I can check tomorrow (my car is currently on jack stands), with the transmission in neutral, if I turn one wheel forwards, the other wheel should turn forwards as well? Not in the opposite direction as with an open differential?

What if I place the car in gear? Any difference?

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    In neutral both will rotate the same direction. In gear you wont be able to turn either unless you bearhug the wheel and give it your all.

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I checked last night - exactly what I found. In neutral, they spin in the same direction. In gear I could not make them move. I suspect you may be correct, perhaps new plates will not be needed. When it comes apart I may post measurements and photos.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ill be surprised if it does. Even broken diffs have had the internals transferred without issue.