Livery - I don't get it | FerrariChat

Livery - I don't get it

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jaa1359, Aug 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    #1 jaa1359, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Before I go any further, I know that plenty will jump all over me about this, but I can't stand all the livery on classic Ferrari's. I don't get it. I understand the historical perspective, but it's not like these cars are still racing in serious competition. For those that choose to seriously race cars that are worth tens of millions, great, but you can place temporary livery, numbers, awkward dots/circles, stripes or markings on the car. They were placed on the cars by necessity, and they serve no purpose beyond racing. It's just one opinion, but I think it totally detracts from the beauty and design of these remarkable vehicles. Okay, you can start bashing me now. I would love to hear other opinions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I think this particular car is overdone. But most of the historic liveries are very nice, especially some of the stripes.

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I never cared for Maranello Concessionaires livery, red with powder blue just doesn't work for me.

4. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010

Totally agree, it usually detracts from the pure beauty of these cars. Its just silly how sometimes the ugliest stickers and decals from period pics are replicated.

5. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    Imagine how much better 0854 would look just plain red without any numbers and decals....

6. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #6 Aardy, Aug 25, 2016
    Exactly what I'm thinking when I see a pic of 06885 (275 GTB Competizione speciale) :

I just don't like the yellow Le Mans 1965 colour. Let's repaint it in original red !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I agree. But, I am about the form anyway.

8. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    Gorgeous photo. Makes my point perfectly. I never understood all of the senseless graphics. Most of these classics are restored cars, and decades past their competition days. Why would the owners then slap all that silliness on them and spoil the classic simplicity of their beautiful lines?

9. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #9 Aardy, Aug 25, 2016
  10. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014

It would be even more perfect without the livery.

11. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #11 Aardy, Aug 25, 2016
  12. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    1759GT needs a nose job :)

13. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I agree that, aesthetically, most of them look better without the livery. That said, if a car is restored back to the livery it wore when it was last raced, or the livery it was most identified with when it was actively racing, I'd much rather see it in that form because it brings you back to that time (even if it doesn't look quite as nice). Removing the livery kind of makes the car more generic, which I don't think is beneficial for a car with meaningful race history. To put a random livery on a car to give it a "race look", however, I think is silly and I would certainly prefer it bare.

14. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    I would even bring back the Daytona group4 that raced in period at Le Mans to their original street version. Like this you also have the bonus of having a full FC red book....

15. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    Disagree with all of this. So something like the 'Thomson' Gp. IV Daytonas you'd prefer in retail red? Or UDT green 250 GTO in red? Or Bruce Meyer's SEFAC SWB in red or plain silver?

16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid

This. The old liveries are simply fun. Today most specs aren't any fun. Most are trending to a silly monochromatic specifications and or the same old specs. In the old days people were bold and had taste. Even if others don't like it, it's still a taste. Every time I see an off color car or a weird old racing livery I am grateful.

17. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    The thread is to bring back Ferrari cars in original colours, just like when the car left the factory.

I doubt 3505GT and 2689GT were red originally...

18. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014

Correct, however, I'm not referring to colors. I'm referring to the livery. Though I'm certainly no fan of UDT green, it's fine. I'm just not a fan of massive circles, dots, numbers and stripes that detract from the simple beauty of the cars. For example, Meyers SWB (since you mention it) would be spectacular without the huge blue stripe and massive white dots with the #14.

19. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I think if you knew BIRA you would understand that he was joking ;)

Personally, I'm a sucker for racing cars, warts and all. That includes race liveries. But some are nice and some not so nice. The picture in the OP is to me an example of a not so nice livery. There's a 375 MM spider that raced almost all its life painted white with two black (or dark blue?) stripes. Recently it was Classiched and repainted resale red. Now that I think is a pitty.

20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I respectfully disagree. The way I see it:

1. We're only talking about (non-original) paint, which can be easily changed at the owner's discretion.

2. There is no shortage of solid red SWB Berlinettas. If there are spectators who prefer to view one of these non-liveried cars, it's not difficult to do so.

3. It is far easier (and considerably less expensive) to track down and purchase a "lusso" SWB with no competition history. However, when your car was raced at Le Mans in 1960, or at the Tourist Trophy in 1961, etc., it can be fun to collect period photographs and attempt to replicate the way the car looked at one of these moments in time. After all, if I subject myself to the trouble and massive expense of buying a car with significant competition history, it's because I intend to enjoy celebrating that history. If my intention was merely to enjoy the purity and beauty of the car's design, I could save millions of dollars (and probably more than a few headaches) by purchasing a different example.

4. If I owned an historic racing GT, it might spend some time wearing the factory-original paint scheme, but it would also spend time wearing period competition livery. And who knows? It may even spend some time wearing a non-original color scheme of my preference.

Then again, why not keep the comp car liveried-up for fun, and buy a road car for when I (and all of those spectators) would rather not be distracted from the beauty of the design?

21. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    #21 jaa1359, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016

All good thoughts, and I see your points. I can see why cars with deep racing heritage maintain their liveries, I just prefer the cleaner look.

22. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    This is an interesting discussion which basicly is in the hands of the car's owner.My thought is that if the car was originally built for competition, and had a first overall or first in class or other signifigant contibution in one or more major World Championship events it would be preferable to restore it to as near as possible to its ORIGINAL condition as it was the day of its most important win, placing or even DNF.Obviously it might very well not be a good idea to restore it to the condition it was when it actually crossed the finish line, thoug I am sure it could be done. Also allowances would have to be made if the car was to be made road worthy for today's driving. Also allowances would have to made if the car was to raced in todays historic events. But to create a class to be judged on how a car looked and who it was driven by in an early Pre or Post WW ll Mille Miglia, Tour de France,Tourist Trophy, Le Mans 24 Hour etc etc major World Championship event I think could start a new unique class of judging competition. This period is often referred to as the "Golden Years 1947-1967 but many today have a real idea of what it really looked like. How many today really know what the classic "four wheel drift" was and how Fangio, Moss, Phil Hill etc. had to master it if they were to win. Food for thought. tonga's crew

23. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Thank you Peter! Specially as I own a Daytona Group 4 that I am racing with the 1975 Le Mans livery ,,and I can live with the white book instead of the red certification. And every time if find a new detail from period pictures ( like we are still missing the lights on boot panel to lit the race number ) I am torturing my mechanic and the body shop to be sure the real car is even more faithful to its history than any of the models reproduction circulating on the market!

24. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It's a good thing there are people out there like you!

I like to think a car is only as good as its current owner.

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    An ex competition car is worth considerably more than any other equivalent car (not just financially but in discussions amongst enthusiasts), even a competition one that never raced.

It is this real race history that makes the car more than just metal, glass and rubber.

So if course these cars should wear their historic livery with pride. Remember they are CARS not art work.
    Pete